Slow Up Aging Process
Protect Your Skin and Slow Aging Signs
The first thing we usually notice on our face as we age is that first wrinkle or maybe a brown spot. Most people are acutely aware of aging signs and use anti-aging skin products to try to keep their skin as supple and as radiant as possible. A couple of wrinkles can give us the look of wisdom, but most people would rather retain their youthful skin as long as possible. There are certainly several things we can do to slow up these aging signs.
Receiving a Beauty Treatment
Sun protection is important year-round. Ultraviolet (UV) rays can reach you on cloudy and hazy days just as well as sunny days. UV rays reflect off surfaces like water, cement, sand and snow. The CDC recommends a few options for some protection:
- Stay in the shade during the midday hours.
- Use protective clothing on exposed skin.
- Wear a hat with a brim that will protect your face, head, ears, and neck.
- Wear sunglasses that wrap around and will block as close to 100% as possible the UVA and UVB rays.
- Always use sunscreen with a sun protective factor of 15 or higher that has both UVA and you UVB protection.
- Never use a tanning bed.
Things to Know About Skin
Skin is actually the biggest organ of your body. It is comprised of several layers; containing oil glands, blood vessels, immune cells, and components they give it structure and elasticity. While we know the skin will respond to exterior factors such as the sun, it also responds to internal factors like our diet. I'm sure you've probably heard the saying "you are what you eat" and this holds true where your skin is concerned. Most of us look for anti aging methods.
Here are some factors about aging skin that you might not know:
- As we age we have a slower turnover of cells in the outer layer of our skin (the epidermis). In young people the turnaround process takes about 28 days, while the in the elderly it takes 40 to 60 days.
- It is more difficult for nutrients to pass from the deeper layer of skin (dermis) to the outer layer as we get older.
- There is less activity in the pigment producing cells of the epidermis and fewer of them which leads to mottled skin coloring, and you also may get sun burned more easily when you are older.
- There is also a decrease in immune system cells of the epidermis.
- There is less collagen in the skin, which provides support and less elastin, which provides elasticity; therefore this contributes to sagging and wrinkles.
- Skin becomes thinner and dryer due to a reduced blood supply and fewer oil glands also.
While this list sounds awful, there are things we can do to slow up this aging process besides just staying out of the sun. If you are smoker you're going to have more wrinkles, so this is a good time to give it up.
Perricone Anti-Inflammatory Diet - eDiets.com
There are certainly some foods when eaten regularly that will help slow up the aging process.
- Cold water fish such as wild salmon, mackerel, albacore and bluefish tuna, herring, anchovies and sardines are great sources of Omega-3 fatty acids. These fish also contain a powerful antioxidant called DMAE which protects you from free radicals, thus preserving your skin tone. You can also take omega-3 supplements.
- A very rich source of antioxidants is also found in green leafy vegetables.
- Kefir and yogurt are dairy foods which are a good source of protein, calcium and probiotics.
- Another great source of anti-oxidants and fiber is fresh fruits, particularly berries.
- Having an ample amount of good fats in your diet will help make your skin supple and healthy and they include olive oil, avocados, flaxseed, nuts and of course the omega-3 fish.
- Drink a lot of water, as staying well hydrated keeps your skin cells plump and firm.
Home Skin Treatment
Exfoliating your Skin
There is a huge selection of skin care products on the market and several recipes you can use to make your own products. They include products for cleansing, exfoliating, facial mud or clay masks, toning and moisturizing. Almost any article you read about skin care starts out with exfoliation, then toning, moisturizing and protection. It is important to determine you skin type as a deep-cleaning mask for dry skin will have a mud base and for oily skin you need a clay base. Choose the appropriate products for your skin type and establish a weekly skin care routine.
Exfoliation is important to remove dry, dead skin cells which will diminish wrinkles, pigmentation and stimulate collagen for more youthful look. Brown spots on your skin can also be easily removed by a dermatologist or other skin care specialist. Exfoliate preparations should be used over your whole body as we want to remove dead dry skin particularly from the elbows, knees, feet and hands.
There are many exfoliate products available for purchase. You can also mix ingredients, which you probably already have in your home to make an exfoliating mixture, such as combining store-ground cornmeal equally with plain yogurt and a teaspoon of olive oil. Mix these ingredients in a small bowl. Moisten your skin with warm water and massage the mixture onto your skin using an upward, outward motion then leave it on for at least 5-10 minutes. before rinsing again with warm water. I have also used a similar mixture using rolled oats instead of cornmeal, the plain yogurt, a small amount of unprocessed honey with a teaspoon of sesame seed oil which works just as well. You want your mixture to be abrasive enough to exfoliate your skin.
Another great cleansing routine is to steam your face for 5 to 10 min. as part of your weekly routine. Using a handful of chamomile in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Let it cool slightly so your skin will not burn, then place a towel over your head and place your face over the pot to expose it to the steam.
To moisturize your skin there are many recipes you can follow to make a mask that you leave on for maybe 10 or 20 minutes, then rinse. One method is to mix wheat germ and applesauce and let it sit until the wheat germ absorbs the applesauce. Apply the mixture to moist skin for twenty minutes. Remove the mask over the sink as it will fall off in chunks and you can use your fingers to lightly brush off the rest. Splash cool water on your face to remove any leftover residue.
If you have very oily skin is better to use a clay based mask. They are more beneficial for oily skin that is prone to get acne and blemishes. If you have very sensitive skin, hydrating mask and gel mask should be used.
If you're looking to buy creams to put on your face that night be sure you read the ingredients. Obviously you want the best wrinkle cream available. Avoid a lot of preservatives but vitamin C, for instance, is excellent for your skin playing an important role in the production of collagen. Selenium is also a component of your body's antioxidant enzymes which is been shown to protect skin from UV damage.
Basic Skin Care : Skin Moisturizing Tips
Earn Money Writing on Hubpages -Sign Up Today!
Skin Care Questions
Do you have a regular skin care routine?See results without voting
It is important to wash your face and remove your makeup every night with a gentle cleanser before bed and use a quality night cream on your face and throat. You can also use a toner before putting on your night cream but if your skin is dry you may want to skip this step or certainly pick one that won't be too harsh on your skin. When you awake up in the morning you also want to wash her face again and apply a lighter cream for daytime.
Consistency is the key to a good skin care program. Eating the food listed above is not only good for your skin but is good for your whole body is antioxidants fight free radicals and will keep you help healthier. Choose the skin products carefully as the ones with antioxidant vitamins will give you the best results.
The copyright to this article is owned by Pamela Oglesby. Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE31
There are makeup ideas to making your eyes look wider. How to apply makeup is explained, with tips for brown eyes makeup, green and blue. There are tips for eyebrow care also. How to apply makeup.
The history of mens and women's bathing suits is shown with pictures. The history starts in the early 1900s with pictures of various bathing suits up to the current thong bikinis.
There are 5 delicious easy dessert recipes in this article that are different and delicious. These delicious recipes are perfect for special occasions. Most of them are quick recipes for desserts.