Bacteria and Fungus That You Can Encounter In Your Hair Salon
Being Careful in Salons
Over the years I have worked in many salons as well as have been a beauty school instructor, and have been fortunate to have had managers and co-workers that really care about the welfare and safety of their clients, therefore, I have never worked in a salon where a client was infected with some kind of bacteria or fungus that was dangerous to them. However, I know that there are salons out there that are “not as clean”, as they should be and have been reported, not only by the Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists, but also by the Health Department, and believe me, if you own a salon, you do not want this to happen to you. Not only can your salon get closed down, but you could lose your license to work in a salon, to own a salon and you may get hit with a pretty nasty negligent suit as well, not to mention your reputation that you worked so hard to build and also knowing that someone was actually in danger in your salon. Those are some things that can really make you lose sleep over. Therefore, saying that having a clean salon and maintaining a clean salon is really an understatement here because it is; “crucial” that the salon that you practice in, or own is clean and never causes any harm to any of your clients. Even if you don’t own a salon and just work in one, you could still be liable for being negligent and you do not want that on your conscious either.
Going to a salon should always be a pleasant experience and most of the time people do not realize the sanitary practices that are going on in there so my advice to anyone who visits a hair salon, or nail salon, is really keep your eyes open to what the operator is doing and just be aware of the cleanliness of the place that you are visiting.
In 2004, the celebrity Paula Abdul from American Idol fame, went after a California Nail Salon for contracting a nasty nail fungus to her nail that caused her a lot of pain and suffering. It was caused by not sanitizing the implements used on her nails and when people get their nails done, it could be the last thing on their mind and they may not pay attention to it, and really it isn’t up to the client to make sure that the implements are clean.
Apparently the implements that were used on Paula were not sanitized and had bacteria or fungus on them, if Paula had a cut or a small scrape on her finger, an infection was inevitable, and that is exactly what happened.
If you get a manicure or a pedicure and the implements are not sanitized properly, a bacterium grows. The foot baths that are used on pedicures can gather hair, skin and bacteria at the bottom of the bath and it builds up which is a breeding ground for infection to toes, toenails and feet. If you shave your legs before a pedicure, and most women do, because they also get a massage along with their pedicure, and if they happen to have a cut from shaving, just a little bit of bacteria can cause an infection in the leg and it can be dangerous and painful, which can require medical attention. A person could contract Hepatitis A and B, a staphylococcus infection and there really isn’t any studies to prove that it can cause Hiv or Aids but anytime that blood is involved, you really never know and being safe than sorry is always best.
I know how hectic a busy day at a salon can be and sometimes things get overlooked or hairstylist will miss a step of cleaning to save time and this is where the danger lies.
Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to ask the hairstylist or manicurist if they are using clean implements. It is your health that is in jeopardy. When you are getting your hair done, glance at the brush that they pick up and make sure that you do not see any hair on it as hairbrushes are a breeding ground for lice and scalp conditions as well. Look over at the license, because every hair stylist should have their license in clear view, because their name and their license number are always supposed to be visible to the client. When I was a manager of a salon, I had to fire someone who hadn’t washed their brushes for days, gross huh? Can you imagine how many clients that they used those same brushes on? In beauty school they drilled that into our heads, Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. So I always took that seriously and so should every good hairstylist and manicurist. I personally wouldn’t want to have a hairstylist that didn’t care about my well being and neither should you.
If you ever suspect a salon of not being up to par in cleanliness you can always talk to the manager about it, or call your local Health Department or even go to the Board of Barbers and Cosmetologist website in your state. It is easy to find and report them. There have been many salons that have been shut down because of this, and once an infected person has to go to the hospital for care it is so easy to track down where they got the infection.
Hopefully you have never had anything like this happen to you and with a little bit of awareness on your part, your visits to the hair and nail salons will always be safe and pleasant experiences.
Have you ever encountered fungus or bacteria at a hair or nail salon?See results without voting
More by this Author
It’s been years since I have been a beauty school student and since then I have had several jobs in the beauty industry. I was a beauty school instructor for a while, as well as managers to several...
Okay so I spent most of my adult life as a hairstylist and a beauty school instructor. I have been the manager of several salons and I think it is fair to say without offending anyone that hairdressers are a different...
This is the second part to my Faustus and Hamlet Appearance vs. Reality hub.