Bee Tattoo Meanings, Designs, and Ideas
While they seem rare or unheard of, bee tattoos have become more popular over the last few years. Bees play a vital role in all our lives. As tattoos, they can be designed alone but are often portrayed with flowers, in a cartoon form or they may look more realistic.
In this article, we will discuss this unique design. Learn about their meanings, symbolism, and get some ideas for your next tattoo.
Bee tattoos are not super common. In fact, many tattoo artists probably don't carry stencils for such a design. However, it can represent a variety of positive meanings that may just apply to your life.
To understand the symbolism behind the bee or honey bee, we have to take a closer look into their world.
- One of the strongest attributes they possess is loyalty. The bee is very loyal to the hive and to the queen. It shows honor, duty, and consistency in performing their tasks. They travel around to pollinate the flowers, then go back to the hive. Once done, they will go back out to do it again. They are a symbol of unity and family. Once you understand how loyal they are, you will have a new respect for their species.
- This insect is a perfect example of a structured life. The hard work that they exhibit can't be unnoticed. They symbolize hard work and sacrifice. If it wasn't for this hard work and dedication, many of the flowers and crops of today wouldn't even exist. That is how important they are to us.
- Protection and defense are a few other symbols that they represent. They are usually not aggressive insects and in most cases, if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. They are not like wasp or hornets. However, when it comes to them, the hive, or the queen, all bets are off. They will protect themselves, the queen, and the hive at all cost. If it involves them losing their own life, so be it. They are the ultimate symbol of sacrifice and protection in such cases.
- They also hold significance to a variety of different cultures. In some ancient cultures, the bee was a symbol of the soul, because it could travel far distances and it would always have the ability to find home. Bee hives were often used in war, back in ancient Rome and Greece. They would be launched at enemies — you can only imagine the damage that a few thousand bees could do.
- Last but not least, the tattoo can be a symbol of sweetness, for obvious reasons. This can also mean a sweet life.
Meanings and Designs
Since the bee is a positive symbol, most meanings are positive in nature. But remember, your tattoo symbolizes what you want it to. Below are some more common meanings behind a bee:
The designs can be done in a variety of different ways. They can be designed small or large — both can look stunning when done correctly. It can nearly be tattooed anywhere.
- It can be portrayed to look realistic or like a cartoon.
- They can also be done in the form of tribal art.
- A lot will include a variety of flowers. The bee can be designed with a single flower, or it can be among multiple flowers. It can also be shown flying around the flowers.
- Queen bee tattoos are another popular variation. This design usually portrays the bee as a cartoon. A crown is added to symbolize that she is the queen. These designs are very popular among women, being that they are the queen anyway!
- Many are designed with trail ink. I like this idea because it gives your tattoo the appearance of movement. They look great, and a simple trail ink can add so much to your tattoo.
- When more detail is added, it can look absolutely stunning. A close up tattoo that includes a detailed look inside the flower with the bee on top can be an eye catcher.
It is a difficult design to create, but when done correctly, they look amazing. Just make sure that you take the time to view all the different designs on this page. This will hopefully help give you ideas and inspiration for your tattoo.
More by this Author
Considering a sun tattoo? This article, which details the history, design, and meaning of the sun tattoo, will help you decide, with sun-and-moon tattoos, tribal, Celtic design, and many photos.
Considering getting a dragon tattoo? Read on for in-depth discussion of the meaning and symbolism of a dragon tattoo, including Chinese and Japanese designs, with many photos.
Kissing is part of everyday life, but it is also a powerful gesture of love, friendship, and desire. If you dream about kissing someone, the dreams meaning depends upon who you kiss, and where.