Bio-Oil Does it Really Work?
Is Bio-Oil the Complete Skincare Product?
You may of heard quite a lot about Bio-Oil on the internet and TV. Some people claim it is a miracle oil, and others haven't had the results they expected. Bio-Oil is a specialist product, containing a breakthrough ingredient called PurCellin Oil. It can be used for a range of skin conditions, such as scars, stretch marks, uneven skintone, dehydrated skin and aging skin.
After reading many reviews about the product, I have gathered an overall picture of the many uses for Bio-Oil, and whether it does what it says on the box!
How Bio-Oil Was Formulated
A German cosmetic scientist called Dieter Beier, discovered PurCellin Oil after studying the preen gland oil of ducks. A manufactured version of the oil was made, this reduced the thickness of the oil, making it easily absorbed into the skin.
It contains quite a long list of ingredients, including Vitamin A and Vitamin E. It has the oils of Lavendar, Calendula, Rosemary and Chamomile.
The other controversial ingredient is Paraffinum Liquidum, better known as Mineral Oil. Many dermatologists don't recommend using this, as it is a skin irritant, and can make eczema and acne worse. But many reviews have found this not to be the case.
Photo credit on the right Mike Brand
Bio-Oil on Amazon
Treatment of Scars
Bio-Oil does seem to have a positive effect on scars, by reducing the size and the redness of them. It is better to treat the scar while it is new, but it's still suitable for older scars. Don't use it on open wounds.
Rub 1-2 drops in a circular motion, twice a day. It may take up to 3 months to see results. The scar won't completely disappear, but will be much less noticeable.
Treatment of Stretch Marks
Bio-Oil can be safely used in pregnancy, for stretch marks that appear on the stomach, breasts and thighs. It will help to prevent stretch marks from forming during pregnancy, and reduce the size and colour of existing stretch marks. It is also suitable for stretch marks that appear on the skin as we age.
Reviews of the product showed that some people found an improvement in their stretch marks, and others had no noticeable change. The oil should be applied twice a day for the best results.
Photo credit below Canwest News.
Using Bio-Oil as a Face Cream
The majority of people that have tried Bio-Oil have been pleased with the results. The most noticeable effect is how smooth and supple it makes the skin. Fine lines and wrinkles are softened, and the skin has a more even tone. It also helps to reduce spots, blemishes and large pores.
Massage 3-4 drops over your face and neck - you may find it beneficial to apply the oil before going to bed. It should be applied before your regular moisturiser, as face cream can leave a residue which blocks the absorption of the oil. You may find that you don't even need to use another moisturiser.
Pros of Using Bio-Oil
- Makes your skin smooth and supple.
- Does help to reduce the size and redness of scars.
- Fine lines and wrinkles are softened.
- Highly effective on very dehydrated skin.
Cons of Using Bio-Oil
- It can take a while for the oil to absorb into the skin.
- Some people have no noticible improvement in stretch marks.
- Contains Mineral Oil.
- I think overall, Bio-Oil is good at reducing scars, for many people... and will certainly be effective in moisturising your skin especially if it is very dehydrated.
- Less people found it effective in preventing and reducing stretch marks.
- Bio-Oil doesn't contain any anti-aging ingredients, but for many women it does have a beneficial use, when used over a long period of time on the face and neck. Many mature women found that it helped to smooth out lines and wrinkles, giving them younger, healthy looking skin.