Brown Sugar Scrub Recipe
Frequent exfoliation is a secret to maintaining youthful, healthy and beautiful skin. Brown sugar scrubs not only work wonders, but they are easy and inexpensive to make at home. The great thing about making your own scrubs at home is that you can customize it to fit excatly your skin needs. Do you like how soft oils from a scrub leaves your skin? Or do you prefer a non-oily recipe that will wash off easily and prep your skin for moisturization? This article will provide you with a few different recipes that you can customize into your own perfect concoction.
Tip: For any of these scrubs, if you find your scrub is too dry, add a little more liquid. Likewise, if it is too wet, add a bit more sugar.
Simple Brown Sugar Scrub with No Oils
This is an excellent scrub to make that you can whip up quickly. It's a simple scrub, yet very effective.
- Mix 1 part honey and 1 part brown sugar together until brown sugar is moistened. I usually find that it takes about 1/4-1/2 cup mixture to cover the entire body.
- Hop in the shower and rub the sugar and honey mixture is small circles all over the skin, expecially in the dry places that need some extra love.
- If you find that the scrub is too sticky and pulling on your skin, dab your fingers in a little water and that will help the scrub rub on smoothly.
- Rinse with warm water and you'll immediately feel a difference in the texture of your skin.
Brown Sugar Scrub with Healthy Oils and Vitamins
To create this brown sugar scrub, you can use any oil that you prefer as the base. Here are the benefits of common oils used in body scrubs:
- Olive Oil: Olive is high in antioxidants which will help soften your skin without clogging pores. It is gentle and non-irritating, even for the most sensitive skin. It has vitamins A and E and in addition contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Almond Oil: Almond oil is lightweight, a natural emollient, high in omega fatty acids and in vitamin E. It won't clog pores and can be used mixed in other skin care treatments or on it's own as a potent moisturizer.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil penetrates deeply into the skin, leaving a long-lasting effect. It is high in vitamin E and healhty fats, all essential ingredients for healthy skin. Cold pressed oils are always the best, as the minimal processing retains a higher amount of vitamins and nutrients in the oils.
You may also want to add honey to the scrub, which will give your skin the additional boost of antibacterial, moisturizing, and skin-softening nutrients. Essential oils may be used if you would like to add scent to your scrub. Only a few drops is necessary. Also consider adding vitamin E oil to your scrub. Vitamin E is a powerful natural antioxidant that is an essentail ingredient for skin care. Because your body doesn't produce vitamin E on its own, it's important that you supplment your skin with vitamin E to help prevent free radical damage as well as to soften and renew your skin.
Here is what you'll need for this scrub:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil of choice
- 1 tsp vitamin oil (not neccessary but very beneficial for the skin)
- 1 tsp vanilla OR a few drops of essentail oils (optional)
- 1 TBSP honey (optional, but has many properties that are very beneficial for the skin)
- Mix the ingredents together until combined and no clumps remain. Using a tablespoon or two at a time, rub in a ciruclar motion all over skin. Allow to sit on skin for approximately 5 mintues so the skin can absorb the vitamins and nutrients found in the oils and honey. Rinse and enjoy!
Note: This recipe will yeild approixmately 1-2 full body scrubs, depending on how dry the skin is on how much scrub is used. It can be stored in airtight containers if you have leftovers. The amounts in any of these recipes can be increased to be given as gifts.
Skin Tightening Brown Sugar Scrub
This scrub contains spices that the previously described scrubs do not. The ginger and cinnamon will increase ciruclation and get the blood moving toward the surface of the skin, which will refresh, renew and tighen your skin. This being said, ginger and cinnamon may also be irritating on the skin, so use these ingredients cautiously.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup preferred oil of choice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 TBSP honey (optional)
- Mix ingredients in a bowl until combined and smooth. Gently rub mixture in circular motion all over skin. Allow to sit for about 5 mintues. Rinse and enjoy!
Brown Sugar Scrub with Almond and Oatmeal
Adding ground almonds to your scrub will give your exfoliation some extra oomph. Oatmeal has natural anti-inflammatory properties, prevents dryness and cleanses pores. Use a food processor to grind the almonds and oatmeal.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 TBSP ground almonds
- 1 TBSP ground oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup preferred oil
- Vanilla or essentail oils (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain in the mixture. Using a tablespoon at a time, gently scrub mixture onto the skin in a circular moition. Allow 5 mintues before rinsing to allow the nutrients to be absorbed into your skin. Store any extra mixture in an airtight container.
As you create your brown sugar body scrub, feel free to add, change, reduce or expand these recipes anyway that works best for you and your skin. Play around with different ingredients until you find a combination that you love. I like to mix up and make different body scrubs every week to maximize the benefits of the body scrubs. You can also try using ingredients such as white sugar if you find the brown sugar alone is too rough, salt if you find the scrub is too gentle, or ingredients such as lavendar, coconut or cocoa powder.
I would love to hear which brown sugar scrubs you use and how they work for you!
More by this Author
Cellulite is common, especially among women. A variety of treatments to reduce the visibility of cellulite are discussed here.
Easy face masks made from ingredients you can find in your kitchen that will clear, hydrate and replenish your skin.
Easy, natural skincare treatments made right in your own home that will make your skin glow.