Clean and Nourish Your Skin with Juice
Freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices are pure liquid nutrition.
They contain concentrated amounts of vitamins, minerals and health-promoting phytonutrients such as chlorophyll, carotenoids and bioflavonoids in a pure water suspension.
Drunk on a regular basis they will help to cleanse and nourish the skin from within. They have remarkable powers for revitalising complexions that have lost their natural radiance through stress, overwork or illness.
Most naturopaths (practitioners who use the healing powers of nature) believe that nutrients occurring naturally in foods are bound up in complexes which the body recognises and readily absorbs. Vitamins and minerals in supplements, on the other hand, are often synthesised and mixed with fillers which the digestive system may reject. At times when your body needs an extra nutritional boost, it may be better to drink a glass or two of fresh juice than swallow a couple of pills. Naturally occurring nutrients tend to be present in a balanced form that is in tune with the body's own needs. Raw-food enthusiasts also maintain that fresh fruits and vegetables possess a life force that helps to revive and rekindle our own energy levels.
People who drink fresh juices on a daily basis tend to have clear, radiant skin and boundless vitality.
Mixing milk or natural yoghurt with fresh fruits and juices creates deliciously creamy blends which are both filling and highly nutritious. Smoothies are essentially exotic milkshakes and have always been popular in the Caribbean where they are often made with fresh coconut milk. They make an ideal breakfast or snack when the weather is hot or when you are too busy to prepare a proper meal.
If you are prone to catarrh and sinus congestion, naturopaths advise avoiding cow's milk as it tends to be mucus forming. Soya, rice and almond milk are ideal alternatives and taste just as good when whizzed up with fresh fruit.
- Choose the freshest fruits and vegetables as they will be richer in essential nutrients. Vitamin C especially deteriorates a little every day the produce is kept. Make exactly the right amount of juice and drink straight away - do not save it for later.
- Use organic produce whenever possible. Juicing will concentrate any pesticide residues along with nutrients. Alternatively remove the peel and/or soak in pesticide-removing 'Vegewash'.
- Make sure fruit is really ripe and succulent for juicing.
- When juicing citrus fruits, be sure to add in the pith as it is rich in capillary-strengthening bioflavonoids. Use the whole fruit whenever possible as many nutrients are present within or lie just beneath the skin.
- Avoid mixing fruit and vegetable juices as in combination these tend to cause flatulence. The exception is apple and carrot which harmonise perfectly.
- Aim to drink equal amounts of both fruit and vegetable juices rather than just one variety to get a good spread of nutrients. Remember fruits also tend to be high in natural sugars.
- Types of Floral Water for Skin Refreshing
Light floral tonics that cool and refresh the skin have a double role to play. Firstly, they remove any traces of cleanser that may have been left behind, at the same time helping to tighten the pores...
- Tips for Smoothing the Skin - Refining and Firming Plants
Plants offer a two-pronged approach for smoothing the skin. From the inside, certain plant foods help to cleanse the lymph and boost the body's natural immunity. When the infection-fighting force works...
More by this Author
The basic rules of thumb for choosing low-carbon, eco-friendly fresh produce are as follows: favor local, non-exotic seasonal produce; avoid air-freighted foods but don't worry so much about fruit and vegetables...
Once you have decided you want a kitten, there are actually quite a few decisions to be made before you go down a particular path in getting it. Do you want a pedigree or a moggie? Are you after a particular breed? How...
Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy is a immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system. It is believed that the condition is caused by immune cells attacking the exterior...