Complete Guide to Wearing Black Stockings
Black stockings are a really versatile clothing item that every woman’s closet can benefit from. These stockings come in many different materials and styles. They can be functional in keeping out the cold or designed to add sexy style to an outfit. Black stockings can be an accessory that enhances your total look or the basic piece that you build an outfit around. They can even be worn under other stockings to change their effect.
Material for Black Stockings
There are different types of material that black stockings may be made from. The choice of your material is going to change the choice of the mood created by the black stockings. Some of the most common materials chosen for black stockings are:
• Nylon. The most common material for black stockings is nylon. These stockings are often sheer although some may be more opaque than others. These stockings can be used for professional attire as well as for going out on the town. Some have patterns sewn into them to create a more interesting look. Most nylon stockings have spandex in them for stretchiness; the amount of spandex used can change the appearance of these stockings.
• Cotton. Black stockings that are primarily made from cotton are opaque and comfortable. They are designed to be worn almost like leggings, beneath a large T-shirt or a skirt. Jersey is a similar material sometimes used for these stockings.
• Fishnet. Black fishnet stockings are designed to be sexy. They may have big holes or small ones or they may be patterned to create a design but they are definitely meant to exude sexiness.
• Silk. It is rare to find silk stockings but they did exist a long time ago so vintage clothing shoppers may look for these.
Styles for Black Stockings
The style or cut of black stockings can definitely change the way they affect the outfit that you are wearing. Many types of black stockings are designed to be sexy. Thigh-high stockings are a great example of this. Others are designed to help shape your body so that you look slimmer or more toned. Still others may be designed for comfort. Choose the cut to match the mood that you’re in when you want to wear the stockings.
Different Ways to Wear Black Stockings
The way that you choose to wear black stockings changes the effect of your outfit. Here are some of the different ways that women often wear black stockings:
• As pantyhose. Black stockings worn as pantyhose with professional attire can make you look a little bit sexier during your workday without making you too sexy for the office. Likewise the stockings can be worn this way with a fancy dress to make it more stylish.
• As leggings. Thicker black stockings can be worn in a way similar to leggings. It is common to see them worn underneath a jean skirt these days.
• Worn for warmth. People who live in colder climates may add black stockings as a staple to their closets. In this case, they’re worn with all different skirts, dresses and shorts in a layered look.
• As a textured look. Black stockings can be worn underneath lighter colored stockings or colored fishnet stockings to create an interesting textured look for your legs. This is the type of look seen on artsy indie girls.
• To add drama. An all-black outfit is a lot more dramatic if you don’t see pasty legs as part of it. Black stockings can help with that.
• As part of a costume. Many different costumes for events may be worn with black stockings to complete the look or to offer some warmth to a skimpier costume.
• For sex appeal. Fishnet stockings are particularly worn this way under short skirts and dresses. Backseam black stockings are another sexy choice; these are the sheer stockings with a seam line running up the back of the leg.
Tips for Wearing Black Stockings
Figuring out the look that you’re going to want to create will help you to choose the right stockings. Here are some additional tips for wearing them with style:
• Think carefully about your shoes. High heels and boots are great choices with stockings. Open-toed shoes are often a mistake.
• Note that sheer stockings are going to make legs look thinner whereas thicker, patterned stockings might create a look that’s too bulky for you.
• Pay attention to where your skirt or dress ends. If it hangs too low then stockings might throw off your proportions and make you look a little strange.
• Play around with your style. You’ll figure out what looks right.
Black Stockings in Popular Culture
Black stockings can be a part of any different type of look. However, when black stockings are discussed in popular culture, they are almost always discussed for their sex appeal. Google the phrase “black stockings” and you’ll find that a lot of adult websites come up. You’ll also find references to a few film noir movies including The Girl in the Black Stockings; this is a racy film genre.
Where to Buy Black Stockings
Black stockings are such a common item that you can purchase them almost anywhere. Top places to purchase black stockings include:
• Department stores. The hosiery department of your favorite department store is a great place to look for a wide variety of different types of black stockings. It is particularly easy to find pantyhose-style black stockings here including the types of stockings that are designed to be shape-improving.
• Lingerie stores. People who are specifically seeking a sexier version of black stockings are probably going to find that there are better choices (particularly in terms of styles) at lingerie stores. Victoria’s Secret is a popular place to start when looking for items like this.
• Costume stores or adult novelty stores. People who are interested in getting black stockings for a costume event or for adult purposes may find that these stores offer a better selection of those types of black stockings than do other types of stores.
Black stockings go with almost everything so this is definitely an item that should be in your closet!
- Should you wear stockings with open-toe shoes? - by Olivia Elsom - Helium
Should you wear stockings with open-toe shoes? The short answer to this question really should be no! Open-toe shoes are designed to show off an ..., Olivia Elsom
- How to wear black tights | Fashion Blog - Couture in the City
The best way to wear black tights
- Guide to Womens Fashion Stockings | Tips on How to Wear Fashion Stockings
Guide to Essential Womens Fashion Stockings and How to Wear Them
More by this Author
Women's boho style is an interesting look that has been adopted by everyone from the average woman to the most famous celebrities. It takes some of the flavor of the earthy, hippie look and combines it with a romantic...
I used to wear high heels almost every single day. Then I moved to a city which requires walking everywhere (usually uphill) and I got tired of dealing with the pain of wearing heels so I switched to flatter shoes. I...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.