Cosmetic Liposuction Information
Cosmetic liposuction surgery is increasingly being sought by all kinds of people these days, people who are not happy with that extra bit of flesh. Looking good has been a priority in all cultures across ages, but in today's world, the way you look has become much more important than in generations gone by. Everyone wants the "perfect body," the kind of body that is projected on TV screens across the world by models, athletes and actors. It is hardly surprising therefore that the cosmetic liposuction industry is booming with prospective clients making a beeline for facilities that offer cosmetic liposuction. However, very few of the people who choose to undergo liposuction actually do meaningful research on the procedure before undergoing it. Research such as what results they can expect, what are the risks, what the procedure involves, among other things. In this article, I will seek to explain some of the facts behind liposuction.
What is Liposuction & What Does it Involve:
Liposuction basically is the removal of excess/unwanted fat present beneath the skin by means of suction tubes placed in the fatty areas between skin and muscle. You can imagine the process of vacuuming to try to understand liposuction better. Basically, the suction tubes vacuum out the excess/unwanted fat from beneath the skin. There are of course different techniques used. Some of these are the tumescent technique, laser-assisted liposuction, ultrasound-assisted liposuction, power-assisted liposuction, etc.
Tumescent technique: This technique basically involves introduction of substantial amounts of salt water via an injection. This solution also contains lidocaine, which is what you call a local anesthetic. It also would contain some amounts of the hormone, adrenaline, which normally occurs in your body. The reason behind usage of these substances is to reduce pain and inflammation.
Laser-assisted liposuction: This technique involves the use of lasers to basically change fat into liquid form prior to its eventual extraction.
Ultrasound-assisted liposuction: This technique makes use of ultrasound waves to break up the fat before it can be vacuumed out.
Power-assisted liposuction: This technique involves use of the vibratory motion of the cannula (the tube used to suction) to break up the fat before suctioning it out.
Results of Liposuction:
Cosmetic liposuction seems to be giving people what they want. They seem to be getting the desired results out of it. The number of people queuing up to have cosmetic liposuction seems to indicate that a majority of the patients do get the desired results. Among cosmetic surgeries, liposuction ranks as being one of the most common procedures performed. Also, the satisfaction levels with liposuction seem to be far greater as compared to other cosmetic procedures. So, one can possibly draw the conclusion that liposuctions do work and give people the desired results. Those who have good things to say about liposuction state that after the initial side effects of swelling, soreness, burning sensations, pain, etc., they have had nothing significant to report in terms of real complications or bad effects from the procedure.
There are of course those for whom cosmetic liposuction did not go as planned. Some have reported minimal to no change at all in the cosmetic effect prior to and after the procedure. In addition, some have reported serious complications resulting primarily from physicians who were not well trained.
As you can see, cosmetic liposuction can prove to be disastrous under certain circumstances, primarily if the doctor is not properly trained. Here are some things you can do to ensure that you get the best liposuction service, if you do indeed plan on getting a liposuction done.
- One of the first things you need to do is to check the credentials of the doctor, who is going to be performing the procedure. Look, for example, if the doctor is a plastic surgeon. They are best equipped to do this procedure. Also, make sure that the doctor concerned is board certified. This can be easily verified through the American Board of Plastic Surgery. You can easily get their website on Google and verify the doctor concerned.
- The next thing you need to get checked out is the place where the procedure is going to be done. Having the procedure done in an accredited hospital is best. If not, any accredited outpatient center would do as well. But, certainly do not compromise on this aspect. Do not get yourself liposuctioned in some shady, ill-equipped place.
- Don't be in a rush to get the procedure done. It is best to have a consultation with you doctor prior to having the procedure to know that you don't have any contraindications to surgery. Also, take time to ask questions and what results can be expected and if they match your expectations from the surgery.
- Lose weight. It’s a good idea to lose as much weight as you can before the procedure. The less the quantity of fat to be removed, the safer the procedure.
- Don't combine liposuction with other cosmetic procedures. It is never a good idea to have liposuction as an add-on to other procedures. Remember that multiple operations/procedures done at the same time can increase the risk of complications many times over. So, do schedule your liposuction procedure on a separate date, rather than club it with any other cosmetic procedure.
- Question. Question your doctor and obtain opinions of other doctors/patients about the services provided by the doctor being considered by you to perform your surgery. Specifically, ask for any documentation that certifies his/her training.
Doing all of the above would ensure that you get out of a liposuction procedure with the desired results and not with any potentially serious complication that could ruin your life. So, be aware and do your research before jumping onto the cosmetic liposuction bandwagon. Most of all, ask yourself honestly if you do really need cosmetic liposuction. As with all surgical procedures, there is a risk to it, so make your choice wisely.
More by this Author
What can you do to make your wife feel loved? Every husband has wondered about this. Read on to learn top tips every husband should know about how to make their wives feel loved.
Learn how the world may look like in 100 years, in terms of the environment, human society, and technologically.
Learn what are the causes of terrorism and some solutions to fight it!
No comments yet.