Dragonfly Tattoos And Dragonfly Tattoo Meanings-Dragonfly Tattoo Designs And Ideas
The dragonfly tattoo is a very symbolic tattoo symbol that has been portrayed in many different cultures throughout history. The dragonfly tattoo symbolizes many different cultures and many different meanings in the eyes of those who get these types of popular tattoo designs. The dragonfly tattoo has been a popular tattoo design for women since the 1990s. Although the dragonfly is typically associated to women's tattoo designs, men also choose to get this tattoo. The dragonfly tattoo design is one of the most sought tattoo designs because of all the different symbolic meanings and styles.
When we look at the characteristics and traits of the dragonfly, we can find and learn many meanings of the tattoo design and dragonfly symbolism. The dragonflies life begins in water, usually in ponds or standing water. The female dragonfly can lay up to 100,000 eggs at a time. The dragonfly is born in the water and then it transforms into a winged dragonfly. Some people believe the dragonfly represents fertility because their ability to lay so many eggs. The dragonfly is both a land and water insect.
The dragonfly is commonly associated with the butterfly in nature and in the tattoo world. Both the dragonfly and the butterfly go through metamorphosis during their lifetime. The dragonfly tattoo is also linked to the fairy tattoo as well. Both the dragonfly and the butterfly are colorful and this fact is well represented in colorful dragonfly and butterfly tattoos.
The Native American thought highly of the dragonfly, among many other different cultures. The Native Americans believed that the dragonfly looked over everyone, despite their sex and age. They believed that the dragonfly symbolized inspiration to follow your dreams, hopes, and wishes. Some tribes believed that the dragonfly had the ability to hold the souls of the dead. To many cultures, the dragonfly was sacred. From this purpose, dragonfly body art can be a very meaningful tattoo designs.
The Native Americans were not the only civilization that thought highly of the dragonfly. The Japanese feel that the dragonfly represents happiness and joy. They also see the dragonfly symbol as a sign of strength and courage. The Natives and Asians see the dragonfly as a symbol of change. In fact, Asian tattoo designs often portray dragonflies within the design. The Navajo believe that the dragonfly represents pure water. In America, the dragonfly symbolizes rebirth after great hardship, struggles, and loss. These are just a few examples of the many different meanings and symbolism of the dragonfly through history.
The tattoo on the right is a great example of how colorful dragonfly tattoos can be. Most female examples of this tattoo are colorful with unique distinctive features. Men who choose to get the dragonfly tattoo usually get a design that is realistic. These designs usually lack the colors that the female design has, but not always.
Dragonfly Tattoo Meanings
Here are a few of the many dragonfly tattoo meanings and symbolic meanings of the dragonfly tattoo.
- New Beginning
- Good Fortune
- Good Luck
- Free Spirit
One of the most common meanings for the dragonfly tattoo is "rebirth" or "transformation". The dragonfly tattoo can represent someone going through change in life brought on from struggles or hard times. It is a symbol of victory and triumph over a hard situation. The dragonfly tattoo can also represent wisdom and knowledge. The dragonfly is thought to symbolize mistakes that we've learned in life through our experiences. Many of us can relate to this exact meaning cause we all make mistakes, but we all don't learn from them. Such symbolic tattoo designs represent that we learned are lesson from past mistakes and past struggle.
The dragonfly tattoo can also help guide us through life and it helps instill knowledge and wisdom to the person that wears the tattoo. According to this meaning, the dragonfly tattoo can symbolize our destiny or path in life. In a sense, this can speak power to us all. A quick example of this variation, we will say you love music and have a passion for it. What about a music note tattoos with a dragonfly? This design symbolizes that music is your path of life, the road you walk. Since the dragonfly tattoo has so many symbolic meanings, it makes it a popular choice among many women and a few men.
As you learned earlier, the dragonfly represents two distinct qualities, "air" and "water." The dragonfly is able to live in water and in the air. But in all honesty, the dragonfly has a very tough life from birth. Out of 100,000 dragonfly eggs, only a few will survive in the muck of standing water and ponds. This label of a tough life gives the dragonfly the symbolic meaning of "strength" and "courage." To be able to survive the odds of this world, it takes a whole lot of strength and a little bit of luck. In fact, to some, the dragonfly represents "good fortune" and "good luck." Due to this, the dragonfly could be considered for good luck tattoos.
Dragonfly Gold Jewelry
Before Your Dragonfly Tattoo Design
Men's dragonfly tattoo designs differ from women's dragonfly tattoo designs in many ways. Men's dragonfly tattoo designs often contain tribal dragonfly tattoos or dragonfly designs with dark colors. Women's dragonfly tattoo designs are normally colored with vibrant colors and often includes other tattoo symbols. Either way, in this article, they're plenty of dragonfly design examples. View them over and see which designs you like, then apply them to your own tattoo sketch.
It is very important to remember to take your time when you are choosing your dragonfly tattoo design or any other tattoo design. Many people rush into the tattoo process and they end up choosing a tattoo that they like at first, then regret later on down the road. Take your time and look at all possible designs, styles, and meanings before you make your choice. There are thousands of tattoo designs to choose from.
So many people don't think before they get a tattoo. You get excited about it and you don't always think about the location of the tattoo. Of course, you know where you want it placed on the body. I am talking about if you need to cover it up. Some employers may not allow tattoos to be shown. Think about this before you choose a location.
I have received a lot of questions about personal tattoos in personal locations. There are tattoo artist that are very professional and they are some that love giving such private tattoos. You need to know the difference. Women may want to consider a female tattoo artist. The best advice that I can give you is to research your tattoo artist and ask questions. Thank you for your visit and support.
If you feel like the dragonfly tattoo design is not for you, please be sure to check out more tattoo articles, designs, styles, and meanings, just follow the links below. If you have a suggestion, please let us know. We understand the importance of choosing a tattoo design, we can help. Let us know how we can better serve you by commenting below. Thanks for reading our article on the dragonfly tattoo and thanks for your visit.
MORE TATTOO ARTICLES, DESIGNS, IDEAS, AND MEANINGS
- Ladybug Tattoos And Meanings-Ladybug Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Swallow Tattoos And Meanings-Swallow Tattoo Ideas And Designs
- The Phoenix; Phoenix Tattoo Ideas, Designs, and Meanings; Phoenix Symbolism And History
- Dove Tattoos And Meanings-Dove Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Cherry Blossom Tattoos And Meanings-Cherry Blossom Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Maori Tattoos And Meanings-Maori History And Tattoo Designs
- Rose Tattoo And Meaning-Rose Tattoo Ideas And Designs
- Yin Yang Tattoos And Meanings-Yin Yang Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Koi Tattoo And Meanings-Koi Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Popular Tattoo Designs For Men And Women-Popular Tattoo Styles-Popular Tattoo Ideas
- Great Butterfly Ankle Tattoos, Ideas, And Meanings; Butterfly Tattoos And Beautiful Designs
- Geisha Tattoos And Meanings-Geisha Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Pittsburgh Steeler Tattoos And History-Steeler Nation
- Orchid Tattoos And Meanings-Orchid Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- Diamond Tattoos And Meanings-Diamond Tattoo Designs And Ideas
- White And Black Swan Tattoos And History; Swan Tattoo Meanings
- The Zodiac And Astrology Charts And Meanings; Western and Chinese Symbols: Zodiac Tattoos, Meanings,
- Tribal Arm Tattoos And Arm Band Ideas With Images For Men; Tribal Art And History Of Ancient Tattooi
- Great Star Tattoo Ideas For Men And Women; Star Tattoo Meanings And Star Variations
- Hummingbird Tattoos, History, and Meanings; Hummingbird Symbolism And Hummingbird Tattoo Ideas
- Great Flower Tattoo Ideas And Meanings; Rose Tattoos, Colors, And Meanings
- Great Dreamcatcher Tattoos For Men And Women; Native American Tattoos And Meanings
- Great Butterfly Tattoo Ideas For Women; Butterfly Tattoo Images and Designs: Butterfly Tattoo Meanin
- Cross Tattoos, Angel Tattoos, And Religious Tattoos; Cross Choices And Symbolic Meanings
- Pacific Island Tattoos; Moko Style and Hawaiian Tattoos; Tattoo Ideas, History, Tattoo Meanings Men
- Compass Tattoos: Star Compass, Rose Compass, Prismatic Compass; Ideas And Meanings
- Dolphin Tattoo Ideas For Women And Men; Dolphin Tattoo Meanings And Symbolic History
- The Phoenix; Phoenix Tattoo Ideas, Designs, and Meanings; Phoenix Symbolism And History
More by this Author
Considering a sun tattoo? This article, which details the history, design, and meaning of the sun tattoo, will help you decide, with sun-and-moon tattoos, tribal, Celtic design, and many photos.
Considering getting a dragon tattoo? Read on for in-depth discussion of the meaning and symbolism of a dragon tattoo, including Chinese and Japanese designs, with many photos.
Hummingbirds are a very popular tattoo symbol. Learn about the design, symbolism, history, and meaning of the hummingbird tattoo.