Eight Ball Tattoos Ideas, Meanings, and Pictures
When it comes to highly symbolic tattoos, the eight ball ranks with the best. Designs can include anything associated with gambling, and since it is also a good luck symbol, you can also include other lucky symbols in your design. Sinking this ball is the winning play in a variety of pool games!
It is believed that the eight ball tattoo first appeared in prison and became a popular symbol among inmates and gang members. Even today, you can find inmates or former prisoners with them. The image is also popular among drug dealers who sell cocaine. In this context, the design became a bad luck symbol.
Since it can represent both good and bad luck, it is an appealing tattoo design to emphasize the idea of "chance." It can be a reference to take the good with the bad, or of balance. The eight ball tattoo is perfect for anyone who lives life on the edge or presses their luck.
What Do Eight Balls Symbolize?
There are several different symbolic meanings—both positive and negative—associated with eight balls. But remember: In the end, your tattoo represents what you want it to.
- Bad luck
- Good luck
- Good fortune
- Lady Luck
- Free will
- Magic Eight Ball (fortune-telling toy)
Items to Include With an Eight Ball
There are several different symbols that work as part of a theme:
- Anything that is associated with gambling, such as dice, playing cards, cherries, or Lady Luck.
- Items associated with good luck, such as the four leaf clover or horseshoes.
- Flashy images, such as flames, fire, diamonds, and money.
- Other symbols often found with eight ball tattoos include stars, skulls, music notes, and hearts.
- Images associated with pool, including other numbered balls, pool tables, ball racks, or pool sticks.
- Magic 8 Balls and other fortune-telling toys like Ouija boards.
More by this Author
Considering a sun tattoo? This article, which details the history, design, and meaning of the sun tattoo, will help you decide, with sun-and-moon tattoos, tribal, Celtic design, and many photos.
Considering getting a dragon tattoo? Read on for in-depth discussion of the meaning and symbolism of a dragon tattoo, including Chinese and Japanese designs, with many photos.
Kissing is part of everyday life, but it is also a powerful gesture of love, friendship, and desire. If you dream about kissing someone, the dreams meaning depends upon who you kiss, and where.