Fashion Etiquette Tips
You are under arrest from the Fashion Police...
Unless you are a fashion guru or a magician, at one time or another you committed a fashion crime.
Are you a fashion victim? Have you ever questioned your sense of style?
No one wants the Fashion Police to be called because of their outfit.
Yet, we all still make faux pas with our clothing.
Some violations are minor, but some could be major mistakes.
We try not to break the law, but we aren't perfect. We are human. We make mistakes.
Have you ever people watched and thought to yourself, "What was she thinking?" How do you know someone isn't saying that about you?
Have you ever said, "Doesn't she own a full length mirror?"
I am guilty as charged. I have violated the law many times. Not purposely. I have limited sense of fashion.
I'm a denim and tee kinda girl. My favorite footwear are flip flops, but I prefer being barefoot.
I searched for some words of wisdom from the fashion gurus and I am passing this information on to you.
I've decided that I don't want to be served any more warrants for a possible arrest from the Fashion Police.
I am now on probation. I hope these tips help you flatter your fine figure.
If you appreciate your hips then go ahead and wear the form-fitting skirts, dresses and jeans. A pencil skirt or high waisted jeans with a loose top that's tucked in will accentuate your hips.
Your body will look fab with:
- Shiny fabrics on bottom
- High heels
- Fishtail hems
- Tapered skirts and dresses
- Sleeveless, printed tops draw attention away from the hips
Avoid big, baggy tops! Oversize patterns will make your hips seem even wider. No one really wants that to happen! If you must wear prints, keep them small.
If you don't appreciate your larger than average hips wear a tailored jacket that sits right below the hips.
Additional tips are:
- Trapeze dresses
- Accessories that accentuate your neckline
- Swing coats
- Dark, solid pants
- Avoid pleats
- Pockets should be aligned with the fullest part of your behind. If pockets are too high it makes the butt look large and long. Do you really want that appearance?
- When pockets are too low, your backside will seem droopy. Who wants a sad looking butt?
- To lift your bum up you'll need pockets that are set at a slight inward angle. This will enhance your curves.
- To make the appearance smaller wear dark colors with no bling! No need to enhance the area you trying to hide.
- Avoid small pockets they only cause the opposite effect on how the rear will appear.
- You could fill out the rear by wearing trouser pants with welt pockets.
- Wear them snug, but not tight. Do you really feel comfortable in jeans that look like they were painted on?
Peplum Tops and Skirts
To flatter your rear...
Some of us appreciate the butt, but the majority of us don't. You might try to camouflage your behind with long shirts or dark colors.
Some of the tricks work, but some don't. Not everyone is blessed with a bubble butt.
If you are lucky enough to have the "bubble butt" here are some ideas to enhance it:
- A tucked in shirt with a pencil skirt or tight, high waisted jeans (not as high as mom jeans)!
- Fabrics made from jersey material
- Ruching (gathered fabric that creates ruffles) over the backside
- Bandage dresses (including Spanx)
- Bright colored slacks
Do not wear loose pants or skirts! Untucked tops are a no-no!!
If you don't like your bump:
- Wear a print shirt with a plain skirt or pants. Your upper torso will help distract eyes from your bottom.
- Jackets that are the length of your fingertips
- Shirts with unique designs on the backside
- Straight jeans
Do not wear high-waist anything! Never, ever wear white or ivory bottoms!
If you have a flat butt there is help for you!
- A skirt with a peplum top will work and also creates the illusion of a smaller waist
- Pleated skirts
- Low slung waists
- Rear welt pocket
Do NOT wear stiff denim or leggings. That would require a call to the Fashion Police!
ALERT: A big bikini bottom does NOT hide your rear, it makes your butt bigger! The smaller the bikini, the smaller the illusion. If you dare!
The mid-section. The love handles which have the tendency to overflow when we least expect it. The bloat. The dreaded muffin top. The jeans that shrink in our closets.
There are ways to make the waist look leaner and flatter. No magic spells are required!
- A light colored cardigan worn open and over something darker.
- You could wear a sheath dress (fits snugly to the body)
- Tunics work also
- Pants with zippers on the side
- A-line tops (shirts are small on top and bigger on the bottom)
- A thin or wide belt adds more definition
- Tucking in a top broadens the shoulders which creates an illusion of a small waist
Do NOT wear drawstring pants or baggy shirts!
If you adore your chest area then wear something fitted or low-cut. Your breasts could be your main accessory! Whether you wear a dress or a pair of jeans the look is all yours. Make it classy, not cheap and you are good to go!
To enhance the area:
- Wear wide straps
- Support bras
- Scoop, square or V-neck tops will work best
Do NOT show too much cleavage or wear long necklaces unless your perky buddies are screaming for attention!
If you aren't a fan of your bosom buddies avoid high-neck sweaters and wide belts! Instead you should:
- Wear dark tops with light colored bottoms
- Simple sleeves
- Jackets that define your shoulders
- Wide-length pants make your upper body look smaller. Wear them as often as you please.
FYI: Thick sweaters are a no-no for big busted women. They add an extra 20-30 pounds to your frame! Do you seriously need that extra illusion of weight? That would be a NO!
If you aren't as well endowed there is help for you!
- Wear tops that add volume
- Halters or turtlenecks will enhance
- Wear horizontal stripes on your upper body
- Push-up bras
- Thick tops with some texture will work also
How To Dress on a Budget
Carrie Underwood's famous legs!
"She's got legs, she knows how to use them" - ZZ Top
If your gams are glamorous here are some ways to show them off:
- Short, full skirts
- Hem lengths that are above the knee
- Skinny jeans
- Cropped pants
- High heels
- Skirts with color or patterns
- Lacy stockings are a seductive accessory
Do NOT wear loud tops or busy jewelry!
If you aren't a fan of your legs, there is still hope for you!
- Dark, solid colored skirts or pants
- Wide-leg pants
- Boot-cut jeans in deep denim tones
- Opaque tights
Do NOT wear shorts, bright colored bottoms or large patterns on your lower body.
For the Petite ladies...
- High waist skirts or pants that create one continuous line
- Empire waists
- Skirts and pants that match your stockings and shoes
- Think vertical patterns with stripes
- Dresses or skirts should end a little bit above the knee
- Three-quarter sleeves are a no-no, they make the arms seem shorter
- A pendant on a long chain will make you appear taller
- No ankle straps since they make your legs appear shorter. Do you really want that?
FYI: Trousers with cuffs, pleats, bulky pockets will make legs look stumpy. You have been warned!
Cankle Alert: No cropped jeans or 3/4 length pants unless you want attention to your cankles!
If you are Plus size...
Emphasize your curves. Hiding them only adds additional bulk. Highlight your figure, don't hide it. Tailored clothing adds definition to the midsection and flatters the upper body. Steer clear of turtlenecks, they can create double chins. Bold jewelry worn close to the neck are an added bonus!
- Foot Care For Flip Flop Season!
Your feet do a lot for you, isn't it time that you treat them like the gems they are?
- Perfection vs Imperfection
Whether you are perfect or imperfect this article is for you!
- How Will You Burn Calories Today?
Fun, unique ideas on how to burn calories! Dance to Maroon 5 Moves Like Jagger video which is included!
Are you in need of the Fashion Police?See results without voting
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
If you are searching for a gift under $5 you will find an idea or two within my list. I've given many of these gifts and they were always appreciated. Give a gift and get a smile.
For those men who are a bit confused as to what real men do and don't do. I've compiled a list to help you out. Best of luck as you proceed...
Have you ever received a letter from your Homeowners Association? The letter that notifies you that your lawn isn't green enough or that you left a tricycle on the porch? I have and I thought I'd write them a letter...