How Do You Identify Fake or Pure Diamonds? Tips to Choose Real Diamonds
Why We Use Precious Diamonds as Most Preferred Fashion Jewelry
Diamonds reflect the emotions of one’s soul. They are believed to have divine powers. No marriages are likely to take lace without their presence.Mostly, the wedding rings are made of diamonds. Diamonds studded in Platinum metal is the latest trend. Coloured diamonds are also much sought after these days. The core designs of the diamonds are traditionally Indian or Italian , but the styling, finishing and the metal used are purely American. More than plain gold ornaments, diamond studded gold ornaments are becoming more popular. Read my previous hub on Precious Gems Stones / BirthStone Therapy according to Zodiac Signs
Diamonds and Elizabeth Taylor
Cartier Diamonds are 69 Carat diamonds which were purchased at a record price by Cartier. These were then presented to Elizabeth Taylor by Richard Burton. So was nicknamed as Taylor Diamonds. In 1978, Elizabeth Taylor sold them to build a hospital in Botswana.
The world's largest diamondsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Certified Diamonds (Round, Very Good cut, 6.21 carats, G color, VS2 clarity)
Read more on How To Identify Real Diamonds
- How to Buy a Genuine, Quality Diamond
Do you know how to buy a genuine, quality diamond? Learn about the 4 Cs - carat, color, clarity, and cut. These qualities determine a diamond's worth.
- Are you shopping for a FAKE diamond?
Either you are going to shop for a diamond or you want to find out that the gift you have received on your birthday or anniversary from a special friend is a real diamond or not, follow the below listed...
Identifying Pure Diamonds
here are 4 factors to determine the purity of Diamonds- the 4Cs.
1. Carat: The carat is the weight of the diamond .. Large Diamonds are very rare and costly.
1 Carat = 200 mg
2. Clarity: Clarity differs for each diamonds. This is noted on a scale ranging from F to I. The less the defect (or more the clarity), the more the cost of the diamond. Clarity actually refers to the internal and external imperfections of the diamond (How clear It is ).
Grade of Clarity of Diamonds
- FL or IF - Flawless or Internally Flawless - meaning that it is perfect.
- I-1, I-2 or I-3 means that the diamond is imperfect,
- I-3 being the worst.
- VVS1 and VVS2, which means that the diamond is very, very slightly imperfect
- VS1 and VS2, meaning the diamond is very slightly imperfect
- SI-1 and SI-2, which means that the diamond is slightly imperfect.
3. Color: Diamonds vary in Colors. But most popular are the white colored diamonds. The color scale ranges from D to Z. The D type is more costly. Blue, green, yellow, orange and rare red colors are also available. [Chocolate diamonds are brown colored diamonds which are less expensive than the popular white diamonds. ]
4. Cut: Only an expert cutter can create the radiance or brilliance of the diamonds. The internal reflections in the faces of the diamond will radiate out to the outer faces. This is the brilliance in a diamond. The cuts can vary in shapes from an oval, pear, or round.and so on.
How to Spot A Fake Diamond
Even professionals have had difficulty determining if a diamond is real or not.But try to do following steps before buying a diamond
- Diamond Certificate -Ask for certificate for the diamond(Certificates are issued from Gemological Institute of America, Jewellers Association of Australia or American Society of Appraisers)
- Diamond Tester -You can use a diamond tester to test the purity of diamonds
- NewsPaper Test -Try to read newspapers through the stone ,If you can't read then it is a fake diamond .Look at the stone from above and if you can see all the way to the bottom, it could be a real diamond
- Fog test- Real diamonds clear away quickly when exposed to fog .If the diamond you have just fogged is taking a bit longer to shed off its fog, then it must be a fake.
- Observe the reflection of light through the diamonds
- Put the diamond in water. If it is real it will sink, and if it is fake it will float in water.
- After purchasing a diamond, take it to another jeweler for appraisal.
Major Diamond Mining Countries
3. South Africa
7. Central African Republic
Top Diamond Producing Companies
- De Beers
- Harry Winston
- BHP Billiton
- Rio Tinto
Diamonds are safest investments .Buying diamonds is both an investment and luxury. But protect yourself from fake diamonds
Caring of Diamonds
Lotion, powder, soap and even the oil in our skin can tarnish the color and luster of diamonds Hence diamonds require great care.
- They should be washed in a less powerful detergent,
dried and covered in a soft cloth.
- The safest way is to cover them in a tissue
- They are not to be worn while doing rough works.
- Also, they are not to be kept in contact with other metals and chlorine.
- Heart Shaped Jewelry -Best Selling Heart-Shaped Jew...
Heart- Shaped Jewelry could be a great gift idea for your girlfriend this valentine. It would be like as you are offering your passionate heart to your lady. This kind of jewelry includes heart earrings, heart charms, heart lockets and heart...
- Best Selling Pearls - Valentine Gift ideas for Girl ...
Pearls are those classic stones that all women love to wear. They are beautiful, soft and perfect for an elegant look. Pearl jewelry goes with any kind of outfit. If you are planning a gift for your girlfriend this valentine, then pearl jewelry...
- Precious Gems Stones / BirthStone Therapy according ...
Gem Stone Therapy - Gems that have luster and brilliance are in fact the wonders of nature. The science of use of astrology gems and stones for medicinal and astrological purposes is known as Gem Stone Therapy . According to the astrologers, some...
More by this Author
It cover the evolution of mobile communications from 1st generation to 5th generation .Now almost all the service providers as well as the customers seek for availing these 3G and 4G services.
Traditions and Celebrations Around The World related to New Year Celebrations . How New Year is celebrated in Different parts of the world
There are many advantages of using baby walker. One is to be proud of giving a valuable gift to the babies and the baby will be happy inside it. So if we put the baby in walker then parents can do all the works without...