Fashion Jobs Increasing in America
The industry of Fashion increased its number of openings available in the USA by 36% from May 2008 to November 2009, with 26,600+ openings advertised nationwide on January 2, 2009. A good quantity of openings in a career field is a plausible rationale for seeking employment in that field. Job seekers that enjoy the world of fashion, graphic design, arts, modeling, and communcations would likely have some talent in this industry.
Not all fashion jobs are in design, but other jobs can be a starting point from which to pursue that career, Reality shows such as Project Runway create a new audience, a larger buyer's market, and greater excitement that can spur job seekers into success in design.
Increase in Fashion Jobs Nationwide by 36%
Increase in Fashion Design Jobs is 29%
Top Fashion Design Openings
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC)
- Arlington VA
- Columbus OH
Location of Fashion Jobs
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Washington DC
- San Diego
Top Hiring Companies for Fashion in USA
- JoS. A. Bank
- Sears, Roebuck and Company
- Jones Apparel Group
- Citi Trends
- Urban Outfitter
- JC Penney Company
- Pacific Sunwear
- The TJX Companies, Inc.
- Winston Retail
- Charming Shoppes, Inc.
Heidi Klum on Lifetime Network
- Project Runway Season 7 Official Network Site at myLifetime.com | myLifetime.com
The official Project Runway Season 7 network site, featuring exclusive videos, designer portfolios, games, sweepstakes and more
Top Fasion Job Titles Available in the US
- Commissioned Keyholders - Keyholders direct clients through selecting, coordinating and purchasing traditional business and casual clothing and accessories designed for the upscale professional man. JoS A. Bank is a leading company for creating such positions. These jobs are 100% commission, with bonuses. Candidatesa are expected to be able to generate new sales and help manage stores.
- Commission Sales Associates
- Commission Assistant Store Managers
- Store Managers
- Salaired Sales Associates
- Fashion/Cosmetology jobs
- Commission Sales Associates
- Retail Sales Associate
- Merchandising and Pricing
- Junior Merchandisers
- Receiving Associates
- Salaried Assistant Managers
The Work of a Fashion Designer
- According to the US Federal Labor Department, most fashion designers work in New York and California.
- Usually, at least a 2-year or 4-year degree, with knowledge in textiles, fabrics, ornamentation, accessories, and fashion trends.
- Computer literacy is mandatory and CAD programs are becoming increasingly useful int he design industry at all levels and in all areas.
- Designers reserarch and analyze fashion trends, sketch clothing designs, choose colors and fabrics, and monitor the production of their designs into completed clothing and accessories.
- Clothing designers produce men's, women's, and children's clothing and some accessories of all kinds. This also includes uniforms, lingerie, and masquerade costumes.
- Footwear designers create shoes, slippers and boots.
- Accessory designers create new handbags, belts, scarves, hats, socks/hosiery, and even eyewear like sunglasses.
- A fashion designer may be skilled in all areas of design, but may specialize in one or two.
MEDIAN WAGES IN 2008
- $61,160 yearly income.
- Range: $32,000 - $125,000 yearly.
Increase in Jobs by 5,622%
JoS. A. Bank Apparel
JoS. A. Bank Clothiers, Inc.
This company has been the largest advertiser of fashion related jobs in America in 4th QTR 2009 and January 2010. It has enjoyed success as a men's clothing firm since its founding in 1905 in Baltimore, Maryland. Interestingly, this men's clothing company is creating more jobs than any in the women's sector of the fashion industry.
Bank offers four pricing levels of upscale men's clothing and accessories, with an additional new line of European clothing. In addition to over 470 stores nationwide (December 2009), it also have 7 outlet centers. Tailoring is offered in the stores. While totally upscale for the professional man, JoS. A. Bank advertises that it's prices are 20-30% below their major competitors' prices.
Employment Opportunities: JoS A. Bank Careers.
All store locations are taking applications for all retail positions in the US. You can apply online at the link above. In addition, Corporate Positions are also available in any of these areas: Accounting, Call Center, Human Resources, IT/Information Technology, Marketing, Merchandising, Planning/Allocation, Store Development and Operations, Warehouse/Logistics.
Sears and Roebuck Department Stores
This long time chain of stores specializes in clothing and accessories for the whole family in its various fashion departments, including eyewear in its optical departments. In fact, the first free-standing Sears in 1925 had both an optical department and a soda fountain.
Many Sears stores have had or currently feature restaurants or cafes. Sears was founded in the 1800s to sell an unwanted shipment of watches received at a railroad station and became a mail order before building a store in 1925. It merged with K-Mart 80 years later in 2005.
The company offers several types of chain stores, including the Sears Department Stores, in which their clothing is merchandised. Approximately 1300 of these stores operate in the USA, Canada, and Mexico.
Sears Employment: Jobs with Sears and Roebuck
Sears offers a range of jobs form part-time hourly positions to college internships, professional careers, and military specialities (logistics and inventory are much related to this).
Increase in Jobs by 83% for Sears
More by this Author
What did Mohawk families wear from 1800 - 1900? While they had their own traditional clothing, they readily added European pieces to their wardrobes as they made friends with settlers.
Were any of you in grades K-12 during the 1960s or 1970s? Do you remember what you wore to school? The East and West Coasts were probably more fashionable and relaxed in dress codes in those days, but some of the...
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.