Feet up a Big Feet-part two caring for your feet
Caring for your Feet
Your feet have to carry you through life. So it makes sense as well as important to care for them and treat them well. This is a second part of my Feet care hub you can see the first part here
It is important to take special care of one's feet during the summer and rains, because poor care or total neglect of the feet can lead to serious complications such as foot-sores, fungus growth, swollen ankles and toes,split heels and, above all, wounds which can lead to such troubles as foot removal, especially if one has diabetes.
There are some simple steps for foot care which can help maintain healthy and strong feet.
Examine your feet regularly:
- Look at the tops and soles of your feet for any kind of discoloration or any unusual changes in skin texture, if you can't see the soles, use a mirror.
- Look for scratches, cracks, cuts or blister, especially between the toes and around the heels.
- Check for ingrown corns and toe nails, calluses and sores. Also look for changes in colour, temperature or shape of nails, if you notice any of these problems, consult your doctor.
Clean Feet are pretty Feet:
- Wash your feet every day with a mild soap and lukewarm water. Check the water temperature with your elbow; it should be 32degree to 35 degree C.
- Relax your feet at the end of a long day by soaking your feet in luke warm water to which some oil and mild soap have been added. Do not soak them for too long, since that can cause your skin to dry and crack.
- Gently dry your feet, especially between the toes. Keeping your feet dry can prevent fungus growth, particularly during the rains.
- Keep skin from cracking by rubbing a thin coat of oil, some lotion or cream on the top and the soles of the feet, don't apply lotions and oils between your toes. Use a little talcum powder if your feet sweat.
Take care of your Toenails:
- Cut your toenails after taking a bath, when they are soft and easy to trim.(If you cannot see well or if your toe nails are too thick, have someone else cut them)
- Cut toe nails straight across and smooth with a file.
- To remove stubborn cuticle skin from the toenails, rub some cuticle or cold cream on the cuticles and soak your feet in lukewarm water for 10 minutes. Now, using a nail brush, clean the nails, and finally, dip an orange stick or an ear bud in some cuticle remover and push the cuticles back.
Take care of corns and calluses(thickened skins):
- Gently rub corns and calluses with a pumice stone after you have washed your feet. This will take away extra skin that has built up there. If the condition persists see your doctor.
- Do not use corn removers, callus removers, razors blades, or knives on corns or calluses.
Take steps to protect your Feet:
- Whenever you change to new shoes, do so slowly, initially wear new shoes for only 1-2 hours at a time.
- Always wear socks or stockings with your shoes. Socks made of cotton or wool feel the best. Woollen socks are good for keeping your feet warm and dry in winters.
- Avoid plastic or tight shoes. This could lead to athlete's foot.
Follow these steps and take care of your feet, after all, God blesses us with feet only once in a life time.
More by this Author
Maintaining a good relationship is very hard, and your success depends most of the time on how you keep your relations., healthy. And here, are 10 tips for better human relations. whether it is family, business, or...
The biggest challenge that mankind is facing in this century is "global warming" and there is a "global warning" given by scientist to save the earth, here are some simple but important tips to...