Find Your Perfect Look with Makeup
Makeup can be used to enhance any look. A subtle look is always best for your regular daytime look. But how do you figure out the best evening and party looks that are best for you?
For a generally polished daytime look, less is best. With this look, you can get away with natural, muted eye makeup shades, one coat of mascara, and just a hint of lip color. This will give you a healthy, "finished" look, yet still allow the natural you to shine through loud and clear.
Evening and party makeup tends to be more dramatic and with these looks you want to step things up a notch. For this, take a good long look at yourself in the mirror and decide which facial characteristics are your favorite. Those are the areas that you want to highlight.
If you chose your lips, then put the makeup focus on a gorgeous shade of lip color, and keep the eye makeup and blush more low key. It's important when you are doing up your lips, that you follow your natural lip line. I've heard advice like "Line the outside of your lip line for fuller lips", or line in darker pencil than what your lipstick is, but seriously, this just makes you look clownish. It doesn't fool anyone and will usually create more focus on what you are trying to hide. Our advice is just don't do that!
Some Lip Color Tips:
- Cool colors, like reds, and pinks with touches of blue undertones will make your teeth look whiter.
- Warmer shades with brown undertones will warm up pale skin.
- Deep dark Colors make lips look thinner
- Lip color that's too pale will make you look sickly
- Black, blue, and green color lipsticks should be saved for Halloween or goth parties.
- Red says "glamor and passion", Pink says "innocent and sweet", Brown says "earthy and sensual"
If you chose your eyes, keep your lip color muted and pick eye shades that will bring out the natural color and shape of your eye. Smokey eyes are the rage now, but bright colors are fun too. Consider the event and the outfit you are wearing to make this decision. Whatever colors you choose, blend them in well. you want the focus on your eyes, not your eye makeup.
Eye Makeup Color Tips:
- Cool colors like silver look best with blue eyes and pale skin.
- Warm colors look best for green or brown eyes and any color skin.
- Grays can look good on anyone, but pick darker greys for darker eyes and paler grays for lighter eyes and skin.
- Stay away from too pink or too red, those colors can make you look tired or sick.
- Use black liner sparingly or only on the top lids. Darker brown or "espresso" is best with most complexions.
- It's okay to use mascara on bottom lashes, but only one coat. Two to three coats works best for upper lashes.
If you chose your cheeks, tread lightly! There is something very attractive and healthy about rosy cheeks with subtle eye and lip shades, but anytime you use too much blush you can end up looking like a clown. Bronzer or a color that matches your own blush color is best. This look is usually best on paler skin.
Blush Color Tips:
- Don't be afraid to try bright pinks. They are usually very sheer and will brighten your look without overwhelming it.
- Stay away from shimmering blushes. Shear, matte colors are best.
- Cover blush with a dusting of powder to tone it down a bit.
- It's okay to skip the blush!
Any look you are going to go for, you can typically get away with a tinted moisturizer. Apply this and a loose dusting of powder first and always. We'll talk more about how to apply this in an upcoming article. Right now determine the looks you want to go for and start to collect the colors that you want to work with.
More by this Author
Who would think that you could help cure a low sex drive with coriander? Of course you should always consult your physician if you have any on going sexual dysfunction, but coriander can be a quick fix. It's natural...
The almond is one of the oldest known aphrodisiacs and fertility symbol. It's even mentioned in the Bible as Samson courted Delilah with fragrant almond branches. In India they use the kernel of the almond in healing...
Ginger is at the top of the list in history and sympathetic magic as helping to increase lustful yearnings and increase sex drive! It stimulates sexual performance in both men and women, and aids in the feelings of...