French Wardrobe Basics - The Wardrobe Essentials of French Women
French Wardrobe Basics
Many women around the world admire how French women dress and would like to dress in a similar style. Like yourself, many would like to know which items are French wardrobe basics and form the basis of a French wardrobe. In this article I will be listing them to give you an idea of items you may like to acquire.
However, I will start by sharing with you the principles that many French women follow when creating their wardrobes and cultivating their overall look. If you follow these principles, you will eventually learn how to acquire the French wardrobe essentials and learn how to dress like a French woman.
I will also show you which colours French women prefer and the reasons why, the type of fabrics and patterns they prefer, tips on how to accessorise your look, build a collection of shoes that will take you anywhere and ideas on how to wear your hair and make-up the French way.
A French woman's wardrobe and look is based on a few guiding principles:
- Simplicity - French women prefer clothes that are very simple in style, almost minimalist. They create outfits that are very simple, but add accessories to jazz them up.
- Timeless Classics - The styles that they prefer are timeless classics that stand the test of time. However, these classic garments are in no way frumpy. French women have a keen eye for contemporary classics or classics with an edgy twist to keep their look uptodate.
- Modest and feminine - More modest and feminine styles are chosen rather mini skirts and cleavage revealing tops or aggressive styles.
- Elegance, Quality and Fit - Elegant clothes are chosen in good quality natural fabrics. Attention is paid to ensuring the clothes fit well.
- Less is more / Mix and Match - French wardrobes are small and based on a small collection of simple and highly versatile garments that easily mix and match.
- An ongoing process of reviewing and editing - In order to stay well dressed throughout their lives, French women regularly review their wardrobes and discard worn out or unsuitable items.
- An interest in fashion and style - French women like to keep uptodate with fashion and may incorprate a few of the current trends into her wardrobe to update her look.
French women prefer to own clothes in neutral colours.
Examples of neutral colours include black, white, grey, cream, camel, navy and denim.
Clothes in neutral colours offer many advantages:
- They easily mix and match with each other.
- They act as a blank canvas against which you can personalise your look with accessories such as scarves.
- They are non-memorable. They don't stand out as much as a colour such as red, and can be worn more often without people noticing. French women often wear the same outfit two days in a row, but change the accessories to make it look different.
French wardrobe basics
A French womans wardrobe is based around a few simple basic items. French women have created a minimalist closet by paring their wardrobes down to essentials that meet their lifestyles. French wardrobe basics include items such as a pair of jeans, a black skirt, black jacket, LDB, white T-shirt, white shirt.
Prints and Texture
As you can see from the above, many French women choose to base their wardrobe on clothes in basic neutral colours.
They may add in a few items in a printed fabric or fabric with a texture, but they are very careful about what they choose as it needs to be versatile and match the basics.
French women very rarely wear floral prints and have a great love for Breton stripes (see the photo on the right).
If they wear texture, it will be in a simple neutral colour such as a black lace, a tweed based on neutral colours such as black, white and grey, a neutral suede or leather leather or a simple textured knit.
These textured fabrics won't be complicated as French women like to keep their clothes simple.
Clothes that fit
When buying your clothes make sure that they fit. If they are not a perfect fit have them altered. The idea is to almost make your clothes seem invisible so that we see you rather than the clothes. How many times have you noticed a womans clothes before you notice her because they are too tight or too baggy and totally unflattering?
Find a good tailor who can take up hems on skirts and trousers to lengths that are most flattering on you and can also take in jackets and dresses to give you a more tailored and slimmer shape.
Scarves - the KEY accessory
For French women scarves are their KEY accessory and worn all year round. They are French wardrobe essentials.
In the winter a French woman will wear a snuggly and warm heavy weight scarf with her winter coat and in the summer a thinner weight scarf, worn with a t-shirt, cotton blouse or light sweater.
Scarves are inexpensive and a scarf in a beautiful colour, interesting pattern or texture can spice up an otherwise plain and simple outfit.
French women wear their scarves in a myriad of ways - around their necks, as a belt, on a handbag, and around their head.
French women are also quite creative in the way that they tie their scarves. Many women try to copy their scarf tying techniques but without much success.
So what is the secret to how they tie their scarves?
I have written a couple of articles which will show you several creative ways that you can wear your scarves. Just click on the links below to learn how to tie scarves like French women.
French Wardrobe Basics - Shoes
- The minimalist shoe wardrobe - 12 pairs of shoes is all you need.
Do you own too many shoes? Never have the right shoes when you need them? Did you know French women own just a few shoes? Their secret? By owning just these 12 pairs of shoes, you will always have the right shoes to wear whatever the occasion.
A French woman doesn't own many shoes. What she does own however, is a small collection of shoes that she has carefull thought about and edited, that perfectly meets her needs.
For maximum versatility, her shoes are usually in neutral colours such as black or brown, so that they can mix and match with her clothes.
If she lives in Paris and does a lot of walking around the city, she will own shoes that are comfortable for walking in, that have a flat or lowish heel:
- For the summer, a parisian may choose flat ballet pumps or sandals
- For winter, she chooses a pair of smart winter boots that go with her winter coat.
Of course, women need shoes for other occasions such as weddings, parties and holidays. I have written an article on how you can create a small and minimalist footwear wardrobe like a French woman, that takes into account your lifestyle. I hope that you will find it useful. To read it, click here.
As well as scarves, French woman also own a small collection of other good quality accessories with which they can change the look of their outfits, pulling it together and giving it an individual look.
Accessories are worn only a few at a time - again keeping it simple. Coco Chanel is famous for advising women to look in the mirror before they go out and take off one accessory.
Typical French accessories may include the following items:
- a neutral coloured leather bag
- a pearl necklace
- a silk scarf
- a beautiful necklace or bracelet
Hair, Make-up and Skin care
French women favour an easy to achieve natural look for their hair and make-up and this a is key component of their overall "look". You will rarely see a French woman wearing garish make-up or hair dyed in unnatural looking colours.
Hairstyles - Natural colours and easy care chic hairstyles are prefered, such as a shoulder length bob, which is kept in good condition and worn in a variety of styles, such as worn down or in a ponytail for day or worn up or in a chignon for evenings.
Skin Care - to keep their faces looking youthful, French women spend a lot on their skin care . They avoid the sun and wear foundation with sunscreens, have regular facials and regularly cleanse, tone and moisturise.
Make-up - they prefer a natural "no make-up" look, applying a light touch of foundation, and lipstick and eye make-up in neutral colours. The idea is to enhance what you have rather than change it. They will often wear a bright red lipstick, or enhance their eyes with smokey grey eye shadows and eye liners.
Last but not least, French women like to treat themselves to beautiful underwear and will wear it all the time. The don't believe in saving it for special occasions and enjoy how feminine it makes them feel.
I hope you have enjoyed this article and found it interesting, if so you may like to read my Blog and other Hubpages articles:
The French 10 Item wardrobe - This post is based on the best selling book by Jennifer L Scott - "Secrets of Madame Chic - 20 stylish secrets I learnt while living in Paris". Jennifer spent a year as a student in Paris, living with a wealthy host family. To Jennifer's surprise, the mother of the family, who she called Madame Chic, only had 10 items of clothing in her wardrobe at any one time, but always looked well dressed whatever the occasion. Read the full article to learn more about Madame Chic's 10 item wardrobe and how you can create your own chic 10 item everyday wardrobe.
Scarf tying techniques - French women are famous for wearing scarves in a stylish way, Learn how they do it. These articles contain easy to follow Youtube video clips.
More fashion and style related articles
- How to be chic - 10 easy ways to become more chic
- How to be chic blog - be chic in all areas of your life, health, home, relationships etc.
- The Minimalist Shoe wardrobe - the only shoes women need
- How to be well groomed (Basics)
- How to be well groomed (Advanced)
My Blogs - I have several blogs you may like to read:
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE?
Join me and thousands of people from all around the world and write articles (Hubs) with Hubpages - an American company. I live in England and joined three years ago and so far have 50 articles (Hubs), all written in my spare time. They earn me passive income every month. Some Hubbers have hundreds, even thousands of articles.
How does it work?
Hubpages provides the facility for you to write and publish articles online. They put adverts on the page which earn you money every month. Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it has the potential to earn you passive income every month for years.
What can I write about?
- Creative writing - such as short stories and poetry
- Product reviews
- Any subject you like. Examples include travel, hobbies, money, relationships, child-care, history, art, politics, fashion, technology etc
How much can I earn?
Hubpages puts adverts on our articles and we earn money every time someone reads the article - between US$3 to $8 per 1000 views. My average hubs are viewed/ read by about 30 people a day, my most popular hubs are read by 100 people a day. If you do the maths, you will see that a popular Hub, read 100 times a days, earns between US$110 to US$290 a year, and will continue to do so every year. Last year my hubs generated enough passive income to pay for my summer holiday and are on track to do the same again this year and every year.
How long does it take to write an article / Hub?
Some articles take me a couple of hours to write, others may take up to 5 hours to write. On average, I write one article a week. Many Hubpage members write more, some write less.
How much will it cost me?
- Nothing. Hubpages is FREE to join. You share your earnings with them. You keep 60%, they keep 40%. They want you to earn and make it easy for you.
It sounds too good to be true, where's the catch?
The catch is that you need to write good quality articles on subjects that enough people want to read about and make them easy to find on the internet.
How do I do this?
It is really easy when you know how. When you think about a topic you may want to write about, do the following:
- Think about some key phrases related to the subject.
- As an example, say you want to write a chicken curry recipe hub. Some connected phrases may be "How to cook a chicken curry", "Chicken Curry Recipe", "Recipe for Chicken Curry", "Easy Chicken Curry Recipe", "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe" - you get the idea..........
- Use the online "Adsense Keyword Tool". It is provided by Google and is free to use.
- To find it, simply type in Adsense Keyword Tool into search.
- Type in all of your phrases. The keyword tool will then tell you how many people a month are typing in these phrases.
- Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month.
- As an example, say you notice that 3000 people a month search for "How to cook a chicken curry" compared to only 500 who search for "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe".
- You call your article the most searched for phrase - "How to cook a chicken curry"
- Include this phrase into both the title and the content of your hub.
- Your article now stands a good chance of appearing on the first page of the Search Engines search results page, being clicked on and read.
What you are doing is finding out exactly what people want, the exact phrases they are typing into the search engines to find it, and writing articles that give them what they are looking for. You make it easy for them to find your article by using their search phrase in your title and content.
Give people what they are looking for and you will make money.
How else can I earn with Hubpages?
- Sell E-Bay and Amazon Products on your Hubs and earn commission.
- Encourage a friend to join Hubpages and receive 10% of their earnings
Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it will earn you money every day for years. That is passive income.
If I can do it, so can you.
Follow these six easy steps to join hubpages and start earning:
I recommend writing them down so you know what to do.
- Join Hubpages, the link is below, then.....
- Activate the Hubpages Earnings Programme to allow adverts to be shown on your account.
- Set up a PayPal Account. Hubpages pay your earnings into this account. If you already have one, this can can be used.
- Think of a subject for your first "Hub .
- Search for and use Adsense Keyword Tool (It is a free to use tool.) Type in a few key phrases related to the topic of your hub. Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month and include this phrase in the title and content of your hub.
- Write and publish your first "Hub".
Remember, it is FREE to join, so you have nothing to lose. If thousands of other people around the world can make a passive income online with Hubpages, so can you.
To join Hubpages and start making money Click Here . Good Luck
More by this Author
There are many chic women in the world, some famous such as Chic Icon Audrey Hepburn, others not so famous. You have probably met one of these chic women, admired her style and perhaps even tried to copy her, but...
How to create a minimalist wardrobe for women using the secrets of chic French Parisian women. Learn which basic clothing items are essential and how to accessorise to make your minimalist wardrobe stylish.
Choosing to become a lady is empowering and the benefits are numerous. Learn how to be a lady, how to act like a lady, how to dress like a lady, how to be ladylike, how to act proper, and the benefits