Hair Care At Home On A Budget
Do you want to have healthy, shiny hair without spending too much?
Everyone is looking for cheap, natural yet effective beauty treatments nowadays. It's not that difficult to have hair which looks like you went through an expensive saloon treatment. Once you understand your hair type and its needs, you can care for your hair at home and on even a tight budget.
Different hair types require different hair treatments. Which hair type matches yours from the list below?
- Oily Hair: This is hair whose glands produce oil more often than the other types. Because of this, it tends to look very greasy easily when it has not been washed for 2-3 days. Care for it therefore requires cleansing without stripping the hair of too much oils since this can cause more oil to be produced b y the glands. Also products such as pomade and shine serum should not be used since they can make hair look even more oily.
- Dry Hair: Hair that lacks moisture and enough of oil is dry hair. It requires the least washing of all the hair types and harsh chemicals, treatments and styling with excessive heat are not recommended for it since it can cause further dryness leading to breakage and an irritating scalp. Hair care routine should concentrate on providing and locking-in moisture.
- Normal Hair: With just the right amount of oil and moisture, this hair is relatively easier to look after compared to the other two types. You can tell you have normal hair when it doesn't get greasy even without washing it for at least 2 days, it feels soft and contains moisture without too much care on your part.
Now hair can further be divided into straight, curly, and wavy. But the point to note is that, once you learn how to manage your hair type, your hair structure whether it is straight or curly or any other type will look eventually look good.
Cleansing -Like any part of our body, our hair needs to be cleansed and the only way to do so is by washing with water and a shampoo or wash bar of your choice. Make sure what ever you are using is made specifically for your hair, for example oily hair requires a shampoo for oily hair not one for dry hair since that will not work well. Some shampoos are made specifically for wavy hair or hair with dandruff. So look around a bit when deciding on what to buy.
In order to cleanse hair effectively, here is what to do:
- Wet hair, with cool or warm water, never use hot water because of the damage it can cause to the strands.
- Start by lathering with shampoo or soap, the scalp of your hair, massaging the product in with your finger tips. Rinse well.
- Now, take some more product, lather the front part of your hair down to the ends, then the back side and finally, divide the hair into two sections, each section on one side of your body, lather these too very well. Rinse until the water runs clean down your hair. That's how you know that no product is left in your hair to cause irritation later on.
- Grab your hair in your palms in sections and squeeze gently to let out excess water before you condition or dry hair.
Conditioning- After you have throughly washed your hair, the next step is to condition or provide nourishment to the hair. Remember to do this atleast twice a week, extremely dry hair can be conditioned every day. Conditioners, just like shampoos come in various type, come in a lot of variety such as hair softening conditioners, frizz-control conditioners and so on. Read labels for a better knowledge of what you are buying.
Another form of conditioning that is very useful to prevent damage is deep conditioning. Deep condtioners are specially formulated to be left on hair for about fifteen minutes to an hour depending on the brand. You need to deep condition at least once every two weeks.
If you would like to make conditioners at home, you can try the effective recipes below, but in this case, you will have to use your home-made conditioner at least once a week but not more than three times, before you shampoo not after.
Deep conditioner recipes for all hair types (at least once a week for best results):
- Beat an egg until frothy. Add in two to three tablespoons of mayonnaise depending on your hair type. Apply as instructed below. This recipe is also a protein treatment because of the egg used. Frequent usage will show amazing results which can be compared to the costly protein treatments at saloons.
- Heat honey mixed with oil (olive, coconut, castor or sesame) by pouring it into a container and placing that container in a bowl of hot water for a few seconds. Do not leave it in the hot water for long. No matter what kind of hair we have, it needs occasional treatments made of oil for hair growth and luster. Skipping on oil can lead to brittle and dull hair.
Normal conditioner recipes according to hair type:
Oily hair :
- Mix a few tablespoons of honey with a little water, and freshly squeezed lemon/lime/orange juice. The honey will turn your limp hair into bouncy locks whilst the lemon/lime/orange juice will take away the greasiness and replace it with shine.
- Mix fresh lemon/lime juice with mashed banana (you can use an over ripe one) or avocado. The banana or avocado act as softening and moisturising agents.
Dry hair :
- Mix 6-8 tablespoons of yogurt with 2 tablespoons of oil. You can add or subtract the quantity of ingredients according to the length of your hair. You can replace the yoghurt with avocado. Yogurt is packed full of vitamins and moisture essential for the overall health of your hair whilst oil nourishes and strengthens the hair from root to tip.
- Beat the yolk of an egg, add a few tablespoons of oil, and a little fresh lemon/lime juice or vinegar and a little honey. Egg yolks will leave your hair feeling soft and looking shiny.
- Mix together a banana or avocado, a few tablespoons of milk or milk powder or honey mixed in water, a bit of lemon/lime juice, and a little oil.
How to apply the home-made conditioner
Part hair down the middle. Section off hair and apply to each section, concentrating on the scalp and roots first then move down towards the end of hair. Clip the hair back, away from your face or even better, put on a shower cap. After fifteen minutes to an hour, rinse off with water and shampoo as usual.
Wet hair is more prone to breakage therefore must be handled gently. If you blow dry hair often, you should do it in a way that will cause the least damage. Follow the steps below:
- Hold a towel from each end in both hands.
- Turn head upside down, and place the towel on the back of your head.
- Now, wrap the towel, twisting it so that all your hair is in it. Leave like this for a while so that all the extra water gets soaked up by the towel.
- Take off the towel and now pat sections of your hair until it is damp.
- When no more water is dripping, leave to air dry for a while before passing your fingers or a large toothed comb through your hair if you want to.
- If you would rather blow dry, start from the top of your head, towards the ends in sections, keeping the dryer about five to seven inches away. Never blow dry one place constantly, rather move the dryer around. When it is almost dry, with a little moisture left, turn the dryer on the cool air option to neutralize the temperature of your hair and bring out the shine.
How To Blow dry Hair
Hair rinse has been known to give shine, bounce and silkiness to hair. Apply after conditioning at least twice a week.
Try the following rinse at home:
- Mix one-third part vinegar to two thirds of water. Pour on hair. The smell of the vinegar goes away after a while but if you wish you can rinse with water after a few minutes with less results.
- Mix one-third party lemon/lime juice to two-thirds of water. Use it just like the way the vinegar rinse is used.
Some more hubs to check out:
With so many styling options and products to choose from, it can be quite overwhelming. Since too much of product used for a long time can cause some amount of damage to hair, it is advisable to wash hair well after use to prevent product build up and to condition and treat it with protein treatments. Styling hair with it once in a while should not cause any harm. The products below are listed in terms of their ability to hold hair.
- Styling Mousse: A light-weight foamy product, it is used to add volume and shine to hair. Due to its light weight, hair does not look and feel heavy or greasy. Apply a little, because too much mousse can make the hair lay flat, on damp hair. It is usually applied to the roots to give it a lift, then combed and styled.
- Hair spray: Hair spray is used to keep hair rigid during certain hairstyles that need long term hold. It is also non-greasy or heavy and ideal for hairstyles such as buns, curls, up-dos, teased hair and so much more.
- Hair gel: Hair gel is stronger than hair spray and is used for hairstyles that need to look good for long periods. It can be used on all kinds of hair to keep it in place. Hair tends to look wet when gel is applied. Good for scrunchy hairstyles, spikes, and to make curls more defined.
- Hair wax/ Pomade: Made from wax and sometimes with oil added to the wax, it is a thick product that does not harden. Due to its waxy, oily feel it makes hair shiny and keeps it in place very well. Curly hairstyles that do not retain their curls for long can benefit with a light application of wax to the ends before curling, hair frizz can be tamed with this as well. Also good for spikes.
- Hair glue: In all the above mentioned products, hair glue is by far the one with the most hold. Hair styled with this can withstand a lot of pressure yet look just as it did before. It is also water proof and only loses its ability when shampoo is applied. Perfect for spikes, teased hair and hair that you want to keep in place for a long time since it hardens easily.
Now you know what it take to care for hair at home. In order to see long term results, you will have to follow the tips regularly. With just a little time and effort on your part, you can achieve beautiful, healthy hair without the spending too much.
More by this Author
add → photo text Kids are sometimes very picky eaters. If you worry about how you will get essential nutrients found in vegetables into their diet then this hub is for you. It has recipes with lots o
With all the talk nowadays about green living, its no wonder people are looking for ways to stay healthy and beautiful the natural way. Natural products used for beauty purposes have been k
Beautifully designed, well cared for nails are stylish and pretty to look at. You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot on manicures to achieve this.