Hair Removal: What Are Your Options?
Have unwanted hair in areas that is embarrassing? Statistics show that 80% of people do! Well that must mean the other 20% is trying grow there hair. While that's a high number it's true that many of us suffer from unwanted hair and just want to get rid of it for once and for all.But can it be completely be removed without re-growth? We'll review the ways to get rid of that unwanted hair and what the chances are for re-growth.
Shaving is fast and easy and is the easiest, fastest method of unwanted hair removal. However shaving only lasts about about 24 hours - 3 days before you start to see the hair grow back.
- Removes hair instantly with the swipe of a blade
- It's cheap
- You can do it at home
- Razor Burn
- Fast re-growth
- Nicks or cuts
- Ingrown Hair
- Hair grows back darker, longer and thicker
Plucking is a great way to get rid of small areas of hair. (eyebrows, and chin). You can use a tweezer or something similar to a tweezer is called the Bellabe Facial Hair Remover (not recommended to use on the eyebrows).
- Cost next to nothing
- Great shaping device for the eyebrows
- You can take it anywhere
- Re-growth is slower than shaving
- Can cause ingrown hairs
- Leaves skin red after you pluck
- Painful (the first couple of times)
- It's a slow process (unless you are a tweezing pro with speedy Gonzales hands)
Waxing is also one of the fastest ways to get rid of unwanted hair. (you can get a larger area at a time). Although waxing may be very painful the first couple of times you do it, it takes week before you see any re-growth of the hair, which grows back lighter and thinner, and in some cases doesn't grow back at all. This is my favorite form of hair removal.
- Very slow re-growth
- Hair grows back finer
- It's quick (treats larger areas at once)
- Can be used on every part of the body (in certain areas be prepared to scream)
- Expensive if your going to a salon to have it done
- Messy at home (if you haven't reached the professional level)
- Painful (you get used to it)
- Your hair have to be a certain length before waxing (this can be unsightly)
These small electrical devices use tweezers to remove the hair from the root. Although its the most painful way to remove unwanted hair, it can always one of the best way to remove it. An epilator will also stop hair re-growth over time completely. You really have to have a high tolerance for pain to use this method. (and I mean superman high).
- Inexpensive ( after you by the device ranging from $20-$300)
- Beneficial (you can use it at home)
- No mess whatsoever $5
- Very slow re-growth (slower than waxing)
- Hair will stop growing over time
- Intensely painful
- Challenging to use in certain areas
- Will cause skin bumps
- Ingrown hairs
Threading is an old method to remove unwanted hair. Popular in the middle east, it has become a big thing all over the world as a means of removing hair in a different way. The process works with cotton thread that removes the hair by entwining it and lifting the hair from the follicle. Most people that use the threading method use it on their eyes, and some facial hair.
- Cheap (usually $5-$20)
- Removes hair quickly
- Does not hurt that much (less painful than plucking)
- Re-growth of hair is slow (2 to 4 weeks)
- Painful (at first)
- Can cause skin darkening
- Redness (after treatment)
Laser hair removal treatment is one of the permanent methods for unwanted hair removal. Lasers penetrate the skin by a tiny amount, zapping away at the hair, removing it from the follicle. This process is fun for the technician (like playing a video game) but it is time consuming and has signs of minimal discomfort for the consumer. Laser hair removal permanently removes unwanted hair but it takes more than one treatment to see the best results, which can be very costly. A cheaper way of getting laser hair removal done is by purchasing a at home laser removal device. (The No! No!) While it is pricey to own the device and other like it, it cheaper in the long run.
- Clears large areas of unwanted hair
- Permanent hair reduction (re-growth rate is very low)
- Can treat all parts of the body
- Very expensive
- Some re-growth will occur (more treatments needed)
- Discomfort (after surgery you will feel like you have been in the sun all day...sunburn feeling)
Electrolysis is the only proven method of permanent hair removal without so many return visits for more treatments compared to laser hair removal. This method compacts the base of the hair growing to cut off the blood and nutrition supply so the hair weakens. All areas of the body can be treated using this method, except in ears and nose (if you have that problem). Keep in mind this method is the most expensive method, but also the best method.
- Re-growth rate (lower than laser)
- Less amount of times for re-treatments
- Time consuming
Which ever method of hair removal you use (well just laser & electrolysis) you should always do your homework in advanced. If not done by a proper technician you can end up damaging your skin permanently. Hope this hub helps those in need of the options for hair removal.
More by this Author
Some people love to prank, and that's fine if you know who you are pranking, but when you don't know the person you are pranking it can be dangerous and even deadly. Many people do not think of the consequences of an...