Homemade Scar Minimizing Lotion Bar Recipe
What Causes Scars to Form
Scars are produced by the natural healing process of the body. When the skin, muscles, or organs are cut the body then begins to fill in the wound as quickly as possible with regenerated tissue.
Scars that are formed on younger skin tend to make more severe scars than the scarring of older more wrinkly skin.
At some point in time everyone gains a war wound or two. Sometimes the scars are from that bike accident at age 8, or they may be from surgeries later in life. Although scars can be wore proudly, some people would like to see about diminishing the physical proof. To fight the formation of scars it's best to begin moisturizing as soon as possible, but even old scars can be forced to fade with a thick moisturizer that is applied religiously.
- 40 grams beeswax
- 30 grams shea butter
- 20 grams emu oil
- 10 grams tamanu oil
- 4 grams walnut oil
- 10 drops helichrysum essentail oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops German chamomile essential oil
- Melt all the ingredients slowly together, saving the aromatics to be added last. This works best if done in a double boiler, but it can be done in a microwave fairly easily. Avoid burning the mixture.
- After adding the oils, make sure the mixture is stirred well. Once stirred pour the mixture into small-medium size molds. My personal favorite is a muffin tin with liners or even plastic ice cube trays.
- Place the lotion bars in the freezer for 20 minutes to set up. Make sure the lotion bars are completely cooled before trying to take them out of the mold. Since the mixture makes a large number of bars, it's best to keep the bars that are not in use in the freezer.
- To use the bar, warm it between your hands and transfer the lotion to the your hands before massaging it onto the area of skin, or rub the bar directly on the skin.
With these same steps, it is easy to make a large number of other lotion bars by simply changing a few ingredients. If one of the aromas from the oils is not what you are looking for, you can experiment with changing an oil out for another. You can also use scented or unscented Shea butter, both will cause the final product to differ slightly.
Benefits of buying from Cottage Industry Makers
There are many benefits to consider when buying from small businesses.
- Benefits the economy more. Small companies tend to invest more money into the local economy. Think local grocery store vs Wal-Mart.
- More likely to work with you on large orders or prices.
- More likely to take custom orders.
If you're not some one who is biting at the bit to make your own bath products, then try just buying a handmade option from someone who knows what they're doing. There are plenty of options for organic handmade lotion bars. They can be found on both eBay and Etsy.
More by this Author
- 16Why playing video games is good for you |The Educational Benefits of Video Games and Why They Aren't Ruining Society
Video games can hold many benefits, and teach multiple life lessons. There is evidence that they may be as beneficial as learning how to read was to societies in the past. Example paper on video games
- 26 Changes to Make you Healthier, Prettier, and More Productive | Make Small Changes to a More Healthy Beautiful You
6 tips to use to change your life for the better by making small lifestyle adjustments that really add up.
I dropped 30 pounds in three months to qualify for the Air Force, just to have about 10 of it come right back a week later. Here's how to lose the weight and keep it off.