How To Bleach Your Hair At Home
Bleaching your hair at home is a great alternative to spending a lot of money at the saloon, but a lot of people don't know how to do it correctly. Some are scared, and with good reason. A bad at home bleach job can result in loss or breakage of your hair. You can end up having to sport a short bob when that was never your intention. Others simply have no clue what to do, or what supplies they need. This guide will explain to you step by step what you need to do and what you need to safely and effectively bleach your hair at home.
Please read the entire article before you attempt to bleach your hair yourself.
Bleach Your Hair At Home Supplies
I suggest going to your local Sally's Beauty Supply to get the following products. They have a good reputation, and the products they sell are designed to do the job you want. The following is what you need to pick up:
- Powder Bleach
- 20 Volume Peroxide Cream
- Shower Cap
How To Bleach Your Hair At Home Steps
- Make sure hair is clean and dry
- Mix the peroxide and bleach together
- Put on gloves
- Apply bleach to the darkest part of your hair first, usually your scalp
- Continue applying bleach to rest of hair
- When finished applying bleach put on shower cap
- Once your desired color is reached rinse with warm water
- Condition hair
- Throw away gloves and bleach mixture
- Blow dry hair and style as usual
Additional Tips To Read Before Bleaching Your Hair
- Make sure you wear old clothing because bleach will ruin your clothes.
- Bleach will typically take about 30-50 minutes to work. However, I would check every 15-20 minutes to see how the color is coming along. If you are happy with the color sooner then it's pointless to leave it on longer.
- If you have red-tones in your hair you will more than likely see brassiness. This can be fixed by buying a shampoo designed to reduce that orangey color.
- Lastly you must make it a point to invest in a good conditioner. Bleaching your hair is damaging, so if you do it then taking good care of your hair needs to be a priority.
Now that you know how to bleach you hair at home you don't have to make an appointment at the saloon or spend a ton of money!
Now, if you are only trying to go blonde and are happy with the blonde that you have achieved, then you are finished. If you have not reached your full blonde potential I would recommend waiting at least a week before bleaching again. Bleaching your hair weakens it and you don't want it to break off. During the week you are taking a break use a really good conditioner designed for damaged hair. The goal is to get your hair in the best shape possible before you bleach again. Also in between bleaching you should use a shampoo designed to reduce brassiness.
If blonde was not your final goal, then read on.
I have bleached my hair myself to achieve various shades of blonde, bright red, and purples. Once your hair is light enough to take the color you want then you can go ahead and dye it. I know that most would tell you to wait. However, I never do. Once your hair is dry, put your color on. Leave it on until it's to your liking. Then rinse and condition. This process will damage your hair, I can't stress that enough, so be sure to invest in good products and use them regularly to keep hair as healthy as can be.
How to Bleach Your Hair Blonde
Have you ever bleached your hair at home before?See results without voting
- What is the Best Way to Bleach Hair? (with pictures)
Though it's best to let a professional bleach your hair, if you really want to do it yourself, then the best way to bleach hair...
- How to Bleach Hair
Whether you want to be blond, or you have to lighten your hair before dyeing it another color, bleach is a great way to try out a new look. This guide will...
- 3 Ways to Bleach Your Hair With Hydrogen Peroxide - wikiHow
How to Bleach Your Hair With Hydrogen Peroxide. If you are looking for a cheap, easy way to brighten your hair or bring out your natural highlights, consider bleaching your hair with Hydrogen Peroxide. With just a few household ingredients...
- How to Bleach Your Hair Blonde - The Step-by-Step Guide
My detailed how- to step by step instructions for those of you who have always wanted to be able to bleach your hair blonde at home without those expensive trips to the salon! Let me tell you, that money starts to add up and being blonde becomes no l
More by this Author
Learn how to get rid of skin imperfections, such as acne and cellulite, with a simple technique called skin brushing.
Learn what causes cellulite and how to get rid of cellulite for good.
Famous NFL Football Players that are from Aliquippa PA.