How To Get The Grunge Look
Grunge is IN!
90's Grunge is back and with a vengeance. Well, vengeance is a tad bit strong, but it's definitely a look that's back in style with no plans of leaving. Naturally, it's not absolutely *authentic* circa 1990s Seattle, but the essential grunge elements are still there. The grunge look has become so much more than ripped jeans and bed-head hair. It's now such a broad and popular look, that there are sub-genre looks for grunge such as neo-grunge and glam grunge (girly grunge).
Here are some key elements of the basic style of grunge:
1. Dark colors. Grunge is all about black and grey. Today, girls are wearing grunge pieces with all different colors, but the essential grunge look needs some darkness.
2. Jeans. Think stone-washed, worn-out, ripped and dark jeans. Jeans are a must for authentic grunge style. Today, this has changed since leggings and tights are also very popular with baggy t-shirts.
3. Flannel. C'mon who doesn't remember the ubiquitous flannel shirt. It's important to wear one that is slightly baggy, as if you just grabbed your band mate's flannel because you lost your shirt at a concert the night before.
4. Band Shirts. There's nothing that screams 90s more than a dirty looking Nirvana or Alice in Chains shirt. (I will get a lot of backlash from die-hard fans who hate girls that wear these shirts just for fashion BUT, who didn't love Nirvana in the 90s?)
5. Clunky Shoes. Think Chuck Taylors or Doc Martens. Combat boots are a MUST for any grunge look.
6. Crunchy Hair. "Crunchy?" you think. Yes crunchy. Like you haven't seen a bar of soap in 3 weeks. It's all about big, crunchy hair!
Despite all this "dirty-sounding" aspects of grunge, I promise grunge can look very cool. I mean, Heidi Klum wears grunge, need I say more?
TIGHTS Replace Jeans
Celebs and fashionistas are wearing tights instead of boring ole' jeans. This is probably because no one wants to wear ugly stone-washed baggy jeans (as authentic as they are). Celebs are going to lace, patterned and even ripped tights! The tights are almost always dark-colored. This is an essential element of neo-grunge, which Taylor Momsen is a HUGE fan of!
Tights and Grunge
Flannel is one of my favorite elements of grunge. I personally like to wear a loose flannel top with a tight tank top underneath. I also pair it with some ugly acid-washed skinny jeans. (I'm so strange, I LIKE ugly looking things)! The other modern twist I like is flannel that is 3/4 sleeved. It just looks cleaner and more put-together when the sleeves aren't flying around.
Putting It Together
Shoes: With the grunge look I always say go small or huge and high or flat. Go for some tiny vans or a clunkier shoe. For heels, I'm loving the new combat boots that are made with heels. Try to avoid shoes that are in between. Go for the extremes.
Accessories: Accessories aren't a big part of the grunge look. Many believe make-up and hairspray are the only accessories you need. I always like to girly up my grunge looks, so I always add girly jewelry pieces or accessories to my outfit. I love a contrast so I'll do a thick, black motorcycle jacket with a string of pearls!
More FASHION tips & trends!
More by this Author
What an anniversary. My 100th hub! I always knew I'd do something extra fabulous for my 100th hub and it only made sense that it would be about fashion. I mean, what else *could* it be? I thought about doing different...
Amazing, unique swimsuits for the fashion-forward woman heading to the beach.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE123
Exercises and diets for a bigger butt in three weeks, with different plans for people who tend to gain weight in different parts of the body.