Growing Healthy Relaxed Hair Long - How To Grow Relaxed Hair Long
Oils To Seal In Moisturizers And Restore Health, Elasticity, Subtleness and Manageability
Growing Relaxed Hair Long Tips
Being a hairstylist of over 27 years I have had the privilege of growing long relaxed hair for many clients. What I want to share with you is a hair growing journey that many are ready want to make.
Relaxed hair can become dried out and appear not to grow when not moisturized and maintained properly. African American especially can become damaged the quickest because of the inability to produce and retain natural moisture. All relaxed hair must be well conditioned and protected to grow efficiently remain healthy and strong.
Growing and having the healthiest hair possible required you to put healthy foods in your body as well as use a healthy hair care regimen.
10 Tips to Growing Relaxed Hair Long
Making the decision to maintain long relaxed hair is also making the decision to:
- eat right
- trim hair
- use wide tooth comb
- condition religiously
- wrap hair at night
- avoid curling iron
- protective hair styles
- wear protective sun hats
- No hair dyes
- avoid wool and drying fabrics
To allow relaxed hair to grow to it's fullest length is to realize that our hair has a balance and by relaxing your hair you have altered the balance.
Chemicals changes your hair structure and removes natural oils from the hair shaft. You hair feels wonderful after a professional relaxer because the hair follicles have been opened to except the much needed moisturizing treatments.
You will have to continue conditioning and treating your hair by re-opening your hair follicle by going under the dryer to allow treatments to penetrate every level of your hair shaft.
To prevent damage before you begin, have a professional apply your hair relaxer. A professional hair relaxer application will assure that any areas of hair is covered and properly relaxed.
If hair is missed this is called the line of demarcation and marks the beginning and end of natural and relaxed hair, much like new growth. Where the two different texture hair meet is also the weakest point.
You can not comb two typed of hair the same and breakage is the result. It is imperative that a professional applies your relaxer product if you are allowing your hair to grow to it's fullest potential.
5 Steps To Growing Your Relaxed Hair Long
You hair has to maintain a balance of cleanliness, oil and moisture. This is standard for all hair types. We all have to maintain a balance in order for our hair to be in it's highest form of glory.
However some hair that has a natural curl or coil pattern when straighten has a weakened bond. In order for this hair to stay strong subtle and with elasticity we must make sure the balance is kept.
- Moisturizing your hair is the single most helpful way to prevent hair from shedding from the ends up. Your hair ends are the oldest and most porous part of your hair.
- Sealing Ends is necessary because your natural oils can not make it all the way down to your ends. Your ends are the oldest and most porous part of your hair and needs help maintaining moisture. Sealing is when the ends of your hair are moisturized, then coated with an oil to seal in moisture.
- Trimming away troubled and drying ends(every 6-8 weeks for 6 mths) will allow the hair to not split up the hair shaft. However less trimming (every 2-3 mths) after 3-6 months of proper hair care regimen determined with the hair ends will allow you to see even faster length to your hair by preventing dry hair to travel upward.
- Protective Styling, which means wearing styles that are pinned up, rolled and covered. The reasons your ends of your hair is fragile is because it is the oldest hair on you head and is exposed to rub and get caught in fabric we lean on and wear.
- Wrapping your hair nightly is essential to maintaining natural oils. Unprotected hair will lose oils when exposed to drying fabrics and breakage due to rubbing. Silk wraps are preferable at night and under winter hats.
The ends of your hair must have the moisturizer sealed in if it is to grow to it's fullest potential.This is the case with everyone's hair. But relaxed hair can be especially drying if not treated with the utmost care.
When hair reaches the highest level of hydration as well as the ends you can actually continue to grow hair without trimming at all.
But this will cause your hairstyle to become uneven the same way growing nails without filing them causes your fresh polish to lose appeal.
Our hair is constantly growing and is breaking from the ends if not properly strengthen with protein and moisturizers. To stop the ends from breaking we have to protect them from :
- outside elements
FYI: Be aware of hair pulling from scarves or sweaters, these are some of the factors we have to be conscious of. Growing hair to it's fullest potential is a job that everyone is really not up to. The thought of giving up braids, weaves and hair dyes are in the instructions a lot fall short.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Growing Healthy Long Relaxed Hair
If you have relaxed hair and is committed to enjoying long and luxurious relaxed hair here are my instructions to having long healthy relaxed hair:
- Shampoo and rinse hair well especially the ends. The ends are porous and will hold on to shampoos and conditioner that can cause breakage later.
- Condition hair after every shampoo. A hydrating treatment every two weeks. Alternate with oil treatment. Never us hot dryer with conditioner and never leave on too long! Use as recommended. Over conditioning can dissolve your hair and natural oils causing dryness and damaged relaxed hair. Dry hair breaks.
- Set hair after shampooing. Blow-dry when you have a lot of new growth. Use heat protector for blow-drying and ceramic irons. Wrap hair at night. Pin up during the day.No flat irons!
- Moisturize ends,edges, and hair every day. Light cream moisturizers like Profective.
- Oil scalp every other day.light hair oils or moisturizers for scalp. Do not over apply. Massage to distribute and stimulate your scalp.
- Use castor oil or vitamin E on ends after moisturizing to seal in moisture at least 3 times a week. Ends will soon become more silky when properly hydrated.Rub remainder from hands onto your hair.
- Wrap hair every night in satin or satin type fabric.
- Satin scarf-over shoulder when hair is down.
- Keep your hair wrapped up or pinned up off your shoulders.
- satin bonnet over car seat.
- Satin pillow cases on bed/chair head rest
- Get relaxers/trim on time. Every 6-8 weeks.
- Avoid styling tools except in emergencies.
What You Have To Do Now
Pick up your silk scarves and moisturizing lotions and shampoos to begin your hair growing journey today. I have preselected products to your right that will assist you on your journey while you see what works best for you. You have to be consistent and very gentle with your hair from this point on. Remember you will stop brushing your hair and use wide tooth comb to detangle or your fingers to detangle your hair. Stay consistent!
Why Do I Have To Trim My Hair?
Trimming your hair is very important. Without trimming you will never experience a well groomed and healthy looking ends. You can surely keep your ends moisturized and never trim them but then your hair will be uneven and strangely looking.
This is not the type of hair people will admire. Train your hair as it's growing. Don't allow your hair to grow and worry later when your stylist tells you she has to cut 6 inches for it to look good on your wedding or other important event.
You can look at your relaxed hair while it is combed down. You will notice that you have 2 or 3 inches of hair that is thinner before the hair gets thicker. This is what you want to avoid while you are grooming your hair. You don't want up to 3 inches of hair to look like it need to be cut and you certainly can't have a respectable trim with your hair like that.
Your first trim will be the heart breaker but I promise you it will be the last if your follow these steps. You can grow your relaxed hair long but you will have a journey. Enjoy!
If you have found this hub useful please vote up and please visit http://HairByDarlene.Blogspot.com for more relaxer hair care tips and advice. Here is another interesting hair hub. How To Have Long Hair Fast With Incredible Lace Front Wigs when you don't have time to wait!
http://TopQualityHair.HouseofBeautifulHair.com - Extension hair that last up to 4 years.
More by this Author
Many Individuals are in search for the best virgin weave hair but really don't know difference between the sought after Peruvian and Brazilian hair and wasting thousands on cheap inferior hair.
So you want silky and shiny relaxed hair? Caring for relaxed hair is a daily responsibility. A relaxer journey is a commitment to learn proper hair care for healthy hair.