How to reduce the visibility of skin pores on your body and face naturally. Minimize and diminish visible pores now!
Let's minimize these!
What is a pore, and why do some seem bigger than others?
Pore size is genetically determined, says a leading dermatologist in New York City, Debra Jaliman, You can’t make pores physically smaller, but there are things you can do to minimize the appearance of your pores. Which is better than nothing!
The dots you see on your skin surface are actually openings of hair follicles, where hair, for the most part has decided it won't grow. Each pore contains a sebaceous gland, which produces your skin’s oils. Some pores are more noticeable on certain parts of your face, like your forehead, nose and cheeks, where the sebaceous glands are bigger. The size of your pores depends primarily on your genes. Usually, fair-skinned people have pores on the small side; those with olive or darker skin have larger ones. Your skin type, too, can play a role. Naturally dry skin appears pore-less, while oily skin usually shows more-visible pores.
Several other things can affect the size of a pore. Dead skin cells and trapped sebum—which, put together, form a pimple—can stretch out pores. Exposure to the suns UV rays weaken the collagen that supports pores and keeps them tight, so they can also make pores look bigger. Also collagen loss that comes naturally with aging can increase the appearance of a pores size. And picking at or squeezing a pimple can cause trauma to the skin, which may permanently widen the pore. So stop popping, no matter how tempting it is!
Clay mask to tighten pores
- The best way to exfoliate your skin
How can you effectively exfoliate your skin? What is the best method? Why is exfoliation important?
Natural ways to reduce the visibility of pores on your skin
I always prefer to try natural remedies before using harsh chemicals or machines when it comes to health care. Because pore size has a lot to do with genetics, these remedies only go so far. And they won't give any permanent results. But they will help.
- Wash your face 2x a day with a mild soap. This is especially important after you work out, or if you've had a night out that required heavy make-up. It's very important to remove oils and bacteria from your skin to prevent pores from clogging. So don't skip this step!
- When possible, stop using heavy oil based skincare products, these clog pores.
- Professional make-up artists swear by washing your face with equal parts baking soda and water. Basically all you do is mix a paste, slather it on, give your skin a gentle scrub and rinse it off. The baking soda helps to get rid of bacteria and has said to help reduce the size of pores. It's also mildly abrasive so it's a great exfoliator! And it's inexpensive. So try this a few times a week.
- Use a good moisturizer that contains sunscreen 2x a day, even during winter.
- Do not pick or pop acne! No matter how strong the urge, it's better to keep your skin clean then cause trauma to it. When you pop or scratch acne, it can damage your skin resulting in PERMANENTLY enlarged pores!
- For a quick shrinking of your pores, apply ice packs to your skin. This not only feels great but helps with puffiness too! Or give your face a nice few splashes with cold water for the same effect.
- Acupuncture, which is a procedure where tiny needles are inserted into certain parts of the body can also help by increasing blood flow in the skin of the face, which helps improve muscle tone and tightens enlarged pores and sagging skin.
- Clay masks. Clay, when applied to the skin causes a tightening effect, which reduces the size of pores temporarily.
- Anti Aging Treatments, Solutions, Gadgets, Gizmos, T...
Oh the lengths women go to (and sometimes men too) to reduce the signs of aging! Why grow old gracefully when you don't have to? Reduce and improve the signs of aging, now...
Other options for stubborn and large pores
Sometimes natural remedies just won't give you the desired result. When this is the case, there are other things you can do, but I suggest talking to a qualified dermatologist first.
- Chemical peels can remove the top layer of skin, which help put new cell growth forward and can give amazing results.
- Laser resurfacing with carbon dioxide laser gives the best results - either Carbon dioxide ablative or fractional Carbon dioxide. But multiple sessions are required for best results.
- Microdermabrasion is another great thing to try. You can even buy a home machine for a few hundred dollars. This is a more advanced form of exfoliating and should only be done quarterly, if feels like a mild sunburn because of the layers of dead skin it removes from your face.
- Micro needling, another extreme form of torture for facial care, but helps stimulate blood flow and collagen production.
- Retin-A creams seem to have success, but these will require a prescription in the USA. In Mexico some can be purchased OTC.
Take care of what you're born with
So although you can't completely change the skin you were given, you can take measures to change the way it behaves, and greatly reduce the visual appearance and size of pores on your face, while extending your natural youthful glow!
Following these suggestions will help reduce the visibility of pores and improve the appearance of your skin, and who doesn't want that!?
More by this Author
How can you effectively exfoliate your skin the best way possible? What are the best methods? Why is exfoliation important?
Ouch! I have a blister! Here are ways to treat them, care for them, and avoid them!
Fleas...disgusting, disease ridden, relentless breeding mini vampires. They are miserable to pets & humans. They also have the potential for illness and death. Here's how to destroy them!