How to tell if your designer purse is authentic or a knock-off - Real or fake?
Designer handbags are expensive. With that said, how frustrating would it be to be told that your purse is actually fake? In some countries, like in Europe, it's against the law not just to sell a fake purse, but to purchase one as well. You'll want to avoid buying a fake either way; you don't want to walk around with your handbag like you're all that just to be snubbed because you have a fake.
How to tell if your bag is fake
- Check the quality: This seems like a no-brainer. Just check that threads aren't hanging off the sides, that the lining isn't too thin when it shouldn't be, that it feels nice, and so on. Also, fake Prada (Frauda) purses have nameplates that are attached only by two little prongs; they can be easily taken off. Glue is a bad sign, too... you want stitching! Also check for crooked designs.
- Compare: Inspect the bag you want from a real store and compare with a cheaper version (although the chances are that if it's cheaper, it's not real). Are the colors the same? Size?
- Do your research: If a Coach bag has a leather strip down the middle, the strip should say "Leatherwear." If it doesn't, it's a fake! Louis Vuitton purse snaps are monogrammed, too.
- Where it's made: Coach bags are made in China, not the United States, so if it says, "Made in USA," you've got a fake. Know where your bags come from.
- Look for a card with a style number and name inside the purse.
- Oftentimes, fakes will be of a certain style, color, or material that the real designer doesn't have!
- Avoid kiosks, flea markets, certain websites (all if possible, other than the actual designer's website), garment districts, and purse parties (like Tupperware parties, only with handbags). Also, countries or regions where mass production is big, like China and Mexico, are risky places to find and purchase a genuine handbag.
- How to Tell if a Designer Bag Is Fake: 6 Steps (with Pictures)
How to Tell if a Designer Bag Is Fake. A new designer bag is a joy; discovering it's a fake is not. If you're in the market for a designer bag, this article will help you spot replicas, fakes, and genuines. Understand the difference...
More by this Author
Read about the experiences of me and others as to why some facial and body piercings close up and and some do not.
Choosing a tattoo can be stressful because it's so long-term; a tattoo is so permanent. Making the wrong decision can be painful, costly and inconvenient. There are so many factors to consider before making the final...
In college, I became anorexic and am thankful to have overcome that condition. Learn more about my experience so that you can learn from my mistakes.