How to Choose Clothes for a Summer Vacation
Picking Outfits for a Warm Destination
Even after we enter our adult, working life, summer still holds that tang of vacation excitement--and for many, especially those with children, the summer months are prime vacation time. Not only are kids out of school, but many workplaces offer temporary flex hour situations. The summer months also bring more temperate climates and perfect beach weather.
But getting to your destination and having the wrong type of clothing can be disastrous--you'll either have to buy new clothing or just remain uncomfortable for the entirety of your trip. While flight times and weather are out of your control, packing well can make your summer vacation a little easier. Read on for tips on how to choose clothes for a summer vacation.
Best Clothes for Summer Vacations
When packing clothing for a summer vacation, consider the climate you're heading to--is it sweltering, or temperate? Is it sunny, or overcast? Will you be walking on concrete, sand, or earth?
Keep the answers to those questions in mind, and tweak the recommended items below to fit the climate accordingly.
In general, though, here are some tips for what to pack when you're going on a summer vacation in a warm to hot climate:
- Stick to natural, light-weight fabrics--polyester or other synthetics don't breathe, and you will end up a sweaty mess.
- Choose clothing that is light in color--whites, light yellows, pinks, etc. Dark colors draw heat, while light colors deflect it.
- If you're going to be doing a lot of hiking or walking, tennis shoes; otherwise, flip flops or flat sandals will be coolest (and won't give your foot a weird tanline).
- Loose-fitting tunics or tees (not sloppy, of course, but tight clothing can be restrictive and be uncomfortably warm).
- Casual sundresses and airy skirts (for women).
- Linen pants.
- Strapless or racerback bras (for women, if you're wearing tanks or strapless tops or dresses).
- A hat of some kind.
- Hair ties or clips.
Packing for a summer vacation is easy, because there's no need to layer--just throw some mix and match outfits into your suitcase, and you're almost ready to go!
Best Personal Care Products for Summer Vacations
You'll also want to pack different personal care products for a summer vacation than you would for a winter vacation. Different climates call for different skincare, so pack accordingly!
Here's a list of personal care products to pack for a summer vacation:
- Sunscreen or sunblock
- Powder foundation and mineral make-ups (liquid foundation will be too hot and heavy)
- A light moisturizer
- Extra-strength deodorant and anti-perspirant
- Aloe vera, in case you get a sunburn
Of course, some items remain the same, such as toothpaste, shampoo, and conditioner.
Taking It Easy on Your Summer Vacation
When you're almost ready to start packing for you summer vacation, sit down and make a checklist so you don't forget anything important! Be sure to consider the climate, the sights you'll be taking in, how much walking you'll be doing, and your personal style. If you pack the correct clothing, you'll be able to focus on having fun--not melting in the sun or worrying about finding a drugstore to pick up that last-minute item that never crossed your mind.
More by this Author
Do you admire leading ladies such as Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and Elizabeth Taylor? Do you wish you had their grace and style? Well, modern women certainly can! Read on for more.
Thinking about a pixie cut or other short hairstyle? Check out these tips to keep looking feminine even after you chop off your locks! In fact, short hairstyles can be just as feminine as long.
TV can do more than just zone you out--a really great show can be a bonding experience between the two people who watch it together. This hub lists the best TV shows for moms/daughters to watch.