How to Create a Mohawk, And Background Info
Kid with a Mohawk
First off, a Mohawk is a hairstyle, seen commonly on people involved in the punk culture, but also in mainstream fashion. In the most common variety, both sides of the head are shaved leaving a strip of noticeably longer hair in the center of the head. But of course the Mohawk was around long before the punk movement. In 2003, a bog body found near Dublin, Ireland, had a distinguished hairstyle, which was in a standing Mohawk raised with the help of a sort of hair gel. And that was all the way from the Iron Age!! Mohawks also are associated with the people of the Mohawk nation, an indigenous group, of North America.
How to Make a Mohawk:
Stuff You'll Need:
- Set of clippers with whatever kind of guards.
- Shaving Cream
- Hand Mirror
- Large Mirror
- Pen Shaver
- A person that is helpful
1. Use scissors and a comb to cut any hair off that is below the ears. Don't worry about making a perfect cut; because it will all be coming off soon. Just get rid of all the excess hair below the ears and on the forehead.
2. Shave the sides of your head up to above your temple, (The flat region on either side of the forehead), starting with the 1/2-inch clipper guard. Start with the sides so that you can properly gauge what you'll need to shave off the top. Work your way down on your sides until you are down to a 1/8-inch guard.
3. Shave your head using the 1/2-inch guard from the back to the front, alternating sides. Leave at least a 1 1/2-inch strip of hair down the middle. It is best to start from the back of your head near your ear and switch sides. As you change guards to get rid of more and more hair, you will start to see the beginnings of your Mohawk stripe. If you don't have someone to shave the back of your head, hold a small hand mirror and turn your back to the big mirror. This takes practice, so go slow. Keep shaving until you are down to the 1/8-inch guard.
4. Take the guard off the clipper and start shaving the sides and all the areas of your head except your Mohawk strip of hair. You should have virtually no hair anywhere except for strip.
5. Decide the shape and style of your Mohawk strip. (Example:Spikes, or a thin line) Done? Now it's time to clean the area. Once you decide how high you want your Mohawk, use the clippers and guard to shave off excess hair from the top. Then use the pen shaver and shave the sides of your Mohawk to whatever you want the length to be.
6. Put shaving cream to all other areas and shave with the straight razor. When you are done, your head will be completely bald except of course the Mohawk section. Keep it up by using no-guard clippers on the bald areas at least once a week.
Extra Tips and Stuff:
- Wash your hair! Products will dry out your hair, and gluing chunks of hair
together and then sleeping on them will only result in breakage
and a nasty ratty Mohawk. Disgusting. Before you go to sleep wash out the product
and condition it.
- It's a great idea to get oil products. There's nothing worse than dry, brittle hair, and the oils will lube it up. I highly recommend olive, and coconut oil.
- If you skip bleaching and dyeing, you will have way less work to do.
- Be extremely careful when washing off/out mohawk. Don't rush it. If it takes a while, it takes a while, you wouldn't want to break your hair.
- Air dry your mohawk!! DO NOT TOWEL DRY IT!! Your hair is delicate due to the chemicals and such it takes to put it up, also, if you are using dye, it will get absorbed into the towel, and lead to faster fading.
- Try to sleep on your sides.
- Keep in mind blue is the strongest dye, it will stay in hair for a long time.
- Hair dye can stain bathtub/sink, hell just about anything, so be careful.
- Don't just use this as a reference.
People Who Have Had Mohawks:
- Mr. T
- Darby Crash
- People from the Exploited
- Travis Barker(uggh)
- Many various punks, the list goes on and on
No comments yet.