How to Dress Like Mario from the Super Mario Bros. Game
Wether it's for a convention or Halloween, dressing like Mario can be very simple and cheap to dress as.
Mario, the star of the game series Super Mario Brothers and the mascot of Nintendo, is an Italian plumber who resides in the Mushroom Kingdom. His main goal throughout the series is to save Princess Peach from Bowser.
You can dress as Mario with ordinary clothing you have around the house. If you don't have the clothes listed below, you can probably even find them at a thrift store near you.
Obtaining Mario's Hat
When it comes to getting Mario's hat you have two options. One of which is making it yourself. The other, buying the hat from an online retailer or specialty store.
How to make Mario's Hat:
Items you'll need: A red baseball cap, and white paint.
- Obtain a red baseball cap. The baseball cap should not have any writing on it and should be completely red.
- Using a white fabric pen or paint, outline an 'M' in the middle of the front of the cap.
- Draw a circle using your white pen or paint around the 'M' and then color it in.
- Let dry.
- Put it on and enjoy!
Buying Mario's Hat:
If you want to buy Mario's Hat, you can buy one on Ebay for $6 including shipping. If you don't want to order online, call around to specialty stores and see if they have any in stock.
How to Replicate Mario's Outfit
Mario's outit is very simple to replicate. Mario wears a red shirt under his overalls and white gloves.
To dress like Mario, you'll need a red shirt, long overalls, and white gloves.
When getting a red shirt for your oufit, make sure the shirt is a long sleeve shirt, Make sure the sleeves will reach down to your hands (or maybe even past). This is so the white gloves can cover the ends of the sleeves.
Make sure the overalls you don't get overall shorts. You want overall pants. Optional: If you really want to be accurate with your costume, buy yellow felt and cover the clasps that go over the shoulders with a yellow circle. These will be the buttons on Mario's overalls.
As for gloves, white fabric gloves are perfect for your costume. You can get white fabric gloves at any costume store or online.
Mario's Power Ups
In the Super Mario games Mario has access to many different types of power ups. If you would like to have these power ups in your costume, there are many different options you can use to obtain them.
- If you are wanting something that you can keep forever, buying a plush ("stuffed animal") of the power up is a great option. (See list of links in sidebar.)
- If you are crafty, making your power ups with clay or some other medium is also a great option.
- If you don't care about having something 3D, just transfer a printed image onto a piece of cardboard. This is a great option if you want something light weight. Be warned, this option allows the power up to get damaged easily.
Mario's Altered Looks
In the games, when Mario uses these power ups, they alter his look in the game. Depending on what look you want to go for, you may need to make these changes depending.
Other Things You'll Need to Replicate Mario
Moustache: To replicate Mario's moustache, you can either:
- Grow one yourself (if you are capable).
- Color one on your face using a black Sharpie or marker (not suggested but do-able)
- Get a piece of black construction paper, cut out a moustache, and tape it on.
- Same as above, except color a piece of white paper.
- Buy black felt, cut out a moustache, and tape it on.
Mario's Shoes: Mario wears brown work shoes. These shoes are around $30 or more. If you don't actually need work shoes, I would suggest finding a cheap pair of brown shoes at a thrift store or just wearing tennis shoes.
If you are going the tennis shoes route, making brown shoe covers is an option. They may not look the greatest, but you will get brown 'shoes'.
Extras: Do you want to go above and beyond your duty of making a good Mario costume?
- Buy a plunger (you can buy one for $10 or less) since you are an Italian plumber.
- Cut out a star from cardboard and paint it yellow. Invincibility star!
- Buy overalls one size bigger and stuff a pillow where your belly is to make you fatter.
- Practice saying "Mama Mia!" in an Italian accent.
Dressing as Mario, like I said earlier, can be a cheap endeavor. Although this is the cheap route, it can be a long process with finding everything for your costume. If you have the money, I would definitely suggest buying the costume itself. But, whatever you choose to do, have fun with it. You are dressing as a character that mascots Nintendo. Be a proud Mario!
More by this Author
Have you ever wondered the history of a candy? Wonder what ingredients go into your favorite candy? Just want to know some fun facts? If you want to know more about Tootsie Rolls, then check this hub out!
Poke Puffs are a great asset and tool to use in raising your Pokemon's affection in Pokemon X and Y. Learn all about Poke Puffs in this hub.
Learn how to take care of and train a Siberian Husky puppy.