How to Fix Wrinkly Lips - Find the Cause of Lip Wrinkles, Remedies
Lips are known to be one of the most fragile and prominent parts of the body and we all need to know how to fix wrinkly lips and how to find the causes and remedies.
Many people believe that wrinkly lips are due to dryness but are disappointed when the wrinkles don't magically disappear after applying moisturizers.
But there is more to the cause than simple dryness and it appears to be part of the aging process linked to past neglect of the skin during sun and wind exposure and it is partially related to skin type of heredity.
This articles reviews what is known about lip wrinkles to understand the various causes, what you can do to prevent wrinkly lips, treatment options and some simply long-term remedies.
What Causes Wrinkly Lips
The aging process causes the presence of minor, vertical wrinkles in the skin directly above the upper lip and often these lines extend onto the lips themselves. Wrinkles are causes by a drop in collagen content associated with aging, and accumulated exposure to sun and wind. Smoking is another primary cause of both of the wrinkles in the skin and lips.
Another cause of lip wrinkles is the net loss of lip volume with aging. As people get older, their skin loses elastin and collagen - the skin components that gives lips their full, smooth and plump appearance. In addition, facial fat, which provides some of the plumpness for the lips, is lost as you get older. Lip wrinkles, as well as other facial lines on the skin around the mouth, become more prominent as these components are lost.
Another main cause of lip lines is thinning of the skin as you age. The skin also becomes more creased with use. Thin skin shows more lines.
Sun exposure without adequate protection against UV radiation can also cause wrinkles on the lips. Both UVA and UVB type rays can also cause damage to the skin, because of the damaged natural collagen and deep drying out of the skin. Some people are more prone to lip wrinkles through their genetics.
It is claimed that drinking from straws and pursing your lips when drinking from water bottles can cause wrinkles, too. These claims are unproven, but it is probably wise to reduce the amount that you "pucker" up your lips when drinking your favorite beverage!
Poor quality cosmetics and beauty products that contain harsh chemicals can cause wrinkles in the upper lip and skin above the lips.
Poor diet can also contribute to premature aging of the skin.
Remedies for Wrinkly Lips
Home remedies include:
- Vitamin E Oil - To help smooth deep wrinkles, use of vitamin E oil combined with other methods. Vitamin E is known as a very effective natural product that counteracts free radicals. Apply a few drops of pure vitamin E oil to your fingers and softly wipe it on to the wrinkled areas. Almond oil is also very good for eliminating wrinkles round lips.
- Papaya - You can use a prepared cream or make your own from raw ingredients. Mash a little papaya with some honey and make a soft paste. Use your fingers to apply this paste to your wrinkled lips. Leave on for a few minutes before wiping off and rinsing off with water.
- Cinnamon and Natural Oils - Mix half a teaspoon of cinnamon with various natural oils, which can include vitamin E, coconut, or jojoba oil.
Using a chemical peel is also a good way to help smooth out small fine wrinkles on the lips and skin above the lips. These chemicals remove the top layer of the skin and remove the wrinkles.
Dermabrasion is the process of effectively sanding away the top layer of the skin around the mouth. Both of these methods work by removing the upper layer allowing you to start again and take better car of the new layers underneath.
Laser treatments can also help to smooth-out vertical lip lines. All these resurfacing and smoothing treatments can be used by themselves or combined with various injectable lip fillers.
If in any doubt about these methods consult your doctor or a skin specialist.
There are a host of anti-wrinkle creams on the market that claim to fix wrinkles on the lips, but you should ensure you do your homework to research on their effectiveness. Speak to other people who have tried them and can give you a genuine review.
There are also more advanced medical procedures involving fine-scale injections into the wrinkles to 'fill them' and so change their appearance. These so-called 'dermal fillers' are gels that are inserted right into the wrinkles and so to fill them out and eliminate them. Consult your skin specialist about these procedures.
How to Prevent Wrinkles on Lips
- Applying high quality and reputable sunscreens with inbuilt moisturizers can offer defense from sun damage. Many people err by only applying chap sticks to lips to avoid dry lips to their lips and don't consider sun protection. This is a major mistake that can damage the skin. Always use a goof quality lip balm with SPF of 15 or higher, and frequently re-apply the balm as it does not last very long on your lips.
- Moisturize your lips regularly as when the skin is kept well-hydrated and supple, wrinkles won't form.
- Try to avoid sun and wind exposure. Always wear a sun hat and stay in the shade most of the time when you can.
- Avoid unhealthy foods and eating habits and eat plenty of raw fresh vegetables and fruit and whole foods.
- Avoid tobacco and secondary smoke exposure
- Avoid alcoholic beverages as much as you can, and bypass getting spirits on you lips which can dry them out very quickly.
- Avoid poor quality cosmetics and skin-care products that may contain harsh chemicals. Apply lip-wrinkle creams and remedies before going to bed at night.
- If you have to drink out of water containers or using straw, try to avoid "puckering" your lips too much.
- If you decide to undertake a medical procedure make sure you thoroughly research the topic before proceeding.
- Wrinkly lips are an inescapable consequence of getting old and skin changes that occur with old age. While they can be delayed they can not be stopped completely.
© 2012 Dr. John Anderson
More by this Author
Discover the best and worse foods for a healthy clear skin. See which nutrients promote and maintain good skin and those that degrade your skin
Tips, guides, checklists for when and how you should wash your hands with soap and water, or use an alcohol based scrub for hand hygiene.
Detailed, ranked lists of foods of various types with combined high calories and low fat. Lists for Fruit, Vegetables, Grains, Meals, and many more