How to Walk In and Wear High Heels Without Pain and Blistering
I used to wear high heels almost every single day. Then I moved to a city which requires walking everywhere (usually uphill) and I got tired of dealing with the pain of wearing heels so I switched to flatter shoes. I admit, I miss the high heels sometimes. Luckily, I've learned a few tricks along the way that make it more comfortable to wear high heels even when you have to do a lot of walking. If you buy the right shoes and wear them correctly, you should be able to wear high heels regularly without causing yourself a lot of pain and blistering.
Here are some tips for wearing high heels with more comfort:
- Make sure that you get high heels that fit. The number one reason that people feel pain or get blisters or abrasions from their high heels is that they have shoes that aren't the right size. Measure your feet. Make sure your shoes aren't too big or too small. If they aren't the right size, it doesn't matter how cute they are.
- Wear thin socks or stockings with your high heels. Bare feet are more likely to get damaged walking around in high heels than are feet that have a thin layer of fabric to protect them.
- Choose high heels that aren't too high. There are heels and then there are HIGH heels. Skip the ones that are too tall for you and you'll avoid a lot of the pain that comes from wearing these shoes. The test that you're supposed to follow is to stand up in the high heels with your legs straight. Then go up on your tip toes as high as you can. There should be about an inch of space between the heel and the floor. If there's not then the heels are too high and you're going to hurt. You can get high heels that have a platform under the toe to keep the height but reduce the amount of pain you experience.
- Choose heels that aren't too narrow. Yes, stilettos are sexy, but they are also the most painful heels to wear. Consider choosing high heels that are a little bit thicker and provide more support for your feet.
- Break them in at home. You shouldn't buy a new pair of high heels and then wear them out for a night of dancing or a day at the office. You should buy them and spend a few hours with them on around the house. This will help to break them in but will let you take them off within a reasonable period of time. Your feet will thank you.
- Stand up straight and walk in a straight line. The worse your posture and walking habits are, the worse pain you're going to experience when wearing high heels. This is especially true over time since this can cause unusual wear on the shoes.
- Wear foot pads or insoles inside of the high heels. There are even some that are specifically designed to be used with high heels to reduce blistering and pain.
- Spend some money. Not all cheap shoes are going to hurt and not all expensive shoes are going to be comfortable but it's true that more often than not you're going to find that expensive high heels are made of a higher quality and will provide you with more comfort.
- Buy lots of shoes! You are more likely to get blisters and experience pain from high heels if you wear the same pair every single day. Change out your shoes often. Go between heels, flats and sneakers. Choose heels of varying sizes.
- Take care of your feet. When you aren't wearing shoes, you should be taking good care of your feet. Foot soaks, foot massages and general foot care will help to keep your feet healthy and less prone to pain when wearing high heels.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE6
Women's boho style is an interesting look that has been adopted by everyone from the average woman to the most famous celebrities. It takes some of the flavor of the earthy, hippie look and combines it with a romantic...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE35
Black stockings are a really versatile clothing item that every woman’s closet can benefit from. These stockings come in many different materials and styles. They can be functional in keeping out the cold or...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.