How to update your wardrobe for Spring / Summer 2014
How to update your wardrobe for Spring / Summer 2014
Spring / Summer 2014 is on it's way which means its time to think of ways to update your wardrobe to make it lighter and fresher.
In this article, I will show you several inexpensive and easy ways you can update your wardrobe and look for Spring / Summer 2014. The ideas are suitable for both a work and casual wardrobe. Read on to learn about:
- The KEY colour for S/S 2014 which will instantly update your look.
- How to INSTANTLY look more uptodate for less than $1.00!
- Which six items of clothing are essential for a Spring / Summer wardrobe - you probably own most of them already.
- How to edit your wardrobe and create a core capsule wardrobe for S/S 2014.
- Four NEW neutral colours you may like to try.
- Six FRESH and NEW trend colours.
- NEW print ideas for S/S 2014
- How to use these new S/S 2014 colours to expand or update your core wardrobe.
- How to quickly update your make-up with the NEW nail varnish, lipstick and eyeshadow colours for S/S 2014
- THE key accessory for S/S 2014 that every stylish woman needs.
- Which inexpensive and easy accessories to buy to update your look.
Start with a wardrobe edit and review.
If you wish to update your wardrobe for Spring / Summer 2014, it is a good idea to start by reviewing and editing your existing wardrobe and creating a small core or capsule wardrobe which you can expand and update.
To start, I recommend removing the following types of clothes from your wardrobe, then seeing what you have left:
- Heavy winter clothes - winter coats, heavy knitted jumpers and cardigans, heavy wool suits, skirts and trousers, winter accessories such as woolly scarves, gloves and hats, woolly tights, winter boots and shoes.
- Dark coloured clothes - any dark neutrals such as black, dark brown, dark grey.
- Dark coloured clothes - and dark winter colours such as dark purple, plum, burgundy, dark teal, mustard, burnt orange, dark khaki.
If where you live is still a little bit chilly, you may like to keep one of your winter chunky knit cardigans in your wardrobe. Try to pick one in a lighter neutral colour such as white, cream, beige or light grey. If you don't have one in a light neutral, pick out one in a darker neutral such as grey, black, navy, dark brown.
Try to store the clothes that you have removed elsewhere, away from your wardrobe. I store my out of season clothes in a suitcase under my bed.
Next it is time to look at what you have left - your wardrobe for the forthcoming Spring / Summer 2014 season.
Update your neutral colours
Next we are going to create a capsule wardrobe based around clothes in neutral colours. We will add colour later in the form of extra items of clothing or accessories.
For now, we will focus on the neutrals.
The traditional neutral colours for Spring / Summer Neutrals are:
- White, cream, light grey, camel, light grey, khaki.
Recently, more contemporary neutrals have emerged, which you may like to try such as:
- Monaco Blue - Navy, but a new softer, lighter and brighter version.
- Dusk Blue - A mid-blue that is soft and calm.
- Grayed Jade - a mid-tone jade green, that contains a lot of grey.
- Linen - a soft and pale nude skin colour.
These colours work well with each other and the more traditional neutrals.
Make sure you have the Six Key Basics first
If you have followed my advise above and removed all of your heavy winter clothes, you will hopefully be left with a rail of lighter coloured and lighter fabric clothes.
We will use these to form the basis of your new updated Spring / Summer 2014 wardrobe.
The next task is to make sure you have a collection of basic clothes in neutral colours which you can build upon. So, start by separating your clothes, by pulling out all items of clothing that are in a neutral colour and put them at one end of the rail.
As you have learnt from above, neutral colours for Spring / Summer include:
- Navy, White, Cream, Tan, Camel, Taupe, Beige and Light Grey.
Now, check these neutral coloured items to see if they contain the following key primary basics of a Spring / Summer wardrobe, and put them together on the rail.
The Six Key Primary Basics
- A trench coat - in one of the neutral colours. (The priority item if your Springs are wet.)
- Spring Tops - 3 to 4 long sleeve cotton tee shirts for layering - in the neutral colours.
- Summer Tops - 3 to 4 short sleeve tee shirts - in neutral colours.
- Trousers - in the neutral colours
- Skirts - in the neutral colours
- Denim jeans or skirts in either a dark inky navy or a softer mid-tone denim.
Put these together on the rail. These items form the backbone of your wardrobe and are what makes it work. If you are missing any of these items, or feel that you don't have enough, create a shopping list and make these your priority items to buy.
Expand your core wardrobe with Secondary Basics
The eventual aim of this exercise is to help you create a capsule Spring/ Summer wardrobe that contains enough clothes to last you a week.
Once you have your Six Primary basics in your wardrobe, it is time to expand it by adding some Secondary Basics. These can be in neutral or plain solid colours (no patterns yet).
Go through the rest of your rail and see if you have any of these items. If you have, add them to your core wardrobe.
The Secondary Basics
- Short and long sleeve T-shirts in basic colours
- Cardigans - in neutral and basic colours
- Spring Tops - Long Sleeve shirts and blouses - in basic and neutral colours.
- Summer Tops - Short sleeve vests, tee shirts, shell tops, blouses - in basic and neutral colours
- Jackets - smart jackets for work and a casual jacket for week-ends.
Check that all of your basics are good quality, in good condition and still fit you. If they need cleaning, wash them or take them to the dry cleaners. If they need repairing in anyway, do this as soon as possible, so that your basic wardrobe is ready for the upcoming season.
Make sure that you have enough clothes.
Now that you have your rail of basic items, the next task is to make sure that you have enough to last you a week. If you work full time, do you have enough clothes for work and the week-end? If you are a stay at home Mum or retired, do you have enough casual basics?
If not, make a note of what you need.
If you have more clothes than you need, weed the clothes out so that you are left with a smaller selection of your most beautiful clothes, the ones that fit the best, look great on you and are in the best condition.
Spring and Summer colours - traditional and new.
Now comes the fun part!
A stylish wardrobe usually contains some pops of colour and can be a cheap and easy way to update your wardrobe for S/S 2014.
Here I will show you colours that are traditionally associated with Spring / Summer clothes, Pantones new trendy colours for S/S 2014 and Pantones Key Colour for S/S 2014.
Here are the colours that are traditionally associated with Spring and Summer
- Springs colours normally reflects natures new growth, so there is often a lot of yellowish greens.
- Colours that reflect the first flowers of spring such as the yellows of daffodils and yellow and purple crocuses.
- Coral and Turquoise
- The nautical look - every year, many fashion retailers include a nautical navy, white and red striped look as one of their early Spring ranges.
- Colours are often softer, like a rose garden or bold and bright like a tropical garden.
The Trend colour for Spring / Summer 2014
Pantone have identified a key colour for S/S 2014 and it will be everywhere:
Pantone's key colour for Spring / Summer 2014 is - Orchid Pink - a mid-tone pink with just a hint of purple in it.
You can easily incorporate this colour in your wardrobe in the form of a scarf, new lipstick or nail varnish. If your budget allows, you could buy a top , dress or handbag in this colour.
Update your wardrobe with the new colours of Spring / Summer 2014
Do you still have gaps in your wardrobe?
If after this exercise you still have gaps in your wardrobe, or wish to replace some items, take a look at what you need and add them to your shopping list.
Now that you know which colours are traditional neutral and basic colours for Spring and Summer and also which are the new trend colours and the Key colour - Emerald, you may like to use them to round out your wardrobe and make it more uptodate.
Good items to buy in both classic and trend colours include cardigans, shirts, blouses, long sleeve and short sleeve t-shirts.
Update your wardrobe with prints.
The next way that you can refresh and update your wardrobe is with print.
Each season has its own prints and there are several new prints that have been identified as key trend prints for S/S 2014.
Traditional Spring / Summer Prints:
- Spring - Polka dots, nautical stripes and spring florals.
- Summer - Summer florals and tropical prints
- The new trend prints for Spring / Summer 2014 are abstract prints, pretty florals and digital prints.
Take a look at your wardrobe and see if you have any clothes in these prints. If they still fit and are in good condition, add them to your new wardrobe.
If you are still short of clothes, add what you need to your shopping list and think about buying them in a Spring / Summer print.
Prints in Spring / Summer colours are a quick and easy way to update your wardrobe. Look out for printed clothes such as shirts, blouses, t-shirts, dresses and skirts. If you are really brave you could try printed trousers.
The $1.00 tip - instantly update your look with nail varnish
As promised, here is the $1.00 tip.
Nail varnish is an inexpensive and easy way to update your look for Spring / Summer 2014.
Costing around $1.00, an inexpensive bottle of nail varnish in a Spring / Summer colour will instantly update your look.
A classic nail colour for Spring is coral. It is pretty and fresh and looks great with the neutrals such as navy, cream, beige, camel, khaki.
Coral nail varnishes can be found in two depths of colour, a light pretty shade or a strong and bold coral.
To be really up to the minute, you could buy a nail varnish in 2014's trend colour - Orchid Pink.
I am sure that you will agree that a nail varnish is a great way to cheaply and easily update your look for Spring / Summer 2014.
How to update your wardrobe with scarves
If you are interested in updating your Spring / Summer 2014 wardrobe though accessories such as scarves, you may like to read the following articles.
Scarves are a great accessory and there are hundreds of ways to tie and wear them:
These articles include easy to follow Youtube videos showing interesting ways to tie scarves.
Update your accessories
Another cheap and easy way to update your wardrobe for Spring / Summer 2014 is with accessories. They are often the last layer and finishing touch to your outfit. If you can’t afford to buy new clothes at the beginning of the season, a new accessory, can bring your look bang up to date.
First start with the basics:
The KEY accessory for Spring / Summer is a pair of sunglasses. Choose your first pair in a neutral colour such as black, brown or tortoiseshell for a chic and stylish look.
Other basic accessories are:
- Classic Shoes in neutral colours such as Ballerina flats, loafers, sandals, canvas shoes.
- A basic everyday bag in a neutral colour.
- For jewelry, there are classics such as gold or silver chains, hoop earrings or ropes of pearls.
Once you have acquired these, you can then add accessories in the colours and prints of S/S 2014 such as:
- Sunglasses in a trend colour.
- Scarves - silk or cotton scarves are a great way to update your look by adding a splash of the current seasons colour or print to your outfit. Wear a new scarf with your raincoat, tied to your neutral handbag to update it, wear it with a neutral outfit to add a splash of colour or on the belt loop of your jeans.
- Pretty coloured ballerina pumps - in a traditional or trend colour.
- A handbag in one of springs traditional or trend colours.
- Trend accessories - for Spring / Summer 2014 statement necklace are a popular and trendy accessory.
If you would like to know how to tie scarves in interesting ways, you may like these articles which include easy to follow Youtube videos:
Update your make-up
After winter and the first rays of sunshine and warm weather, it is nice to freshen up how we look. An easy and inexpensive way is to buy a new lipstick or eyeshadow in a soft or fresh Spring / Summer colour. Again it is cheaper than buying new clothes.
- Traditional colours for Spring / Summer are coral, red and soft pinks.
- New trend colours - choose a lipstick in one of the new Pantone trend colours such as the soft Poppy Red or the soft Nectarine.
- A classy look is to wear a neutral eyeshadow, but for fun add a touch of the new Pantone colours to your eyelid, such as African Violet, Greyed Jade or Emerald Green.
- If you like really colourful eye make-up, you may also buy eyeliners or mascaras in these colours.
I hope you found this article useful. Often the most stylish women are not those who spend a great deal of time or money on their wardrobes, but are often the ones who have a small well thought out wardrobe that suits their lifestyles and regularly edit it and update it with a few well chosen key items and accessories.
Often all you need is a new basic neutral garment to expand the possibilities of your wardrobe, or a new lipstick, nail varnish, scarf or cardigan in a fresh new colour to update it and ring the changes.
I hope you enjoy updating your wardrobe for Spring / Summer 2014.
Other fashion related articles and blogs
If you found this article useful, you may also like some of my other articles and my blogs:
French Style - French women are often admired for their great sense of style. These articles share their secrets with you.
- Minimalist Wardrobe for women - The secrets of how chic Parisian create a chic and stylish minimalist wardrobe.
- French wardrobe basics - the wardrobe essentials of French women
- How to dress French - Discover how French women dress
How to be chic - being chic is easy when you know how:
- How to be chic - 10 easy ways to become more chic
- Casual Chic - How to dress casual chic
- How to be chic - How being chic can improve all areas of your life, including your health, home, relationships and finances.
Minimalism and Minimalist wardrobes - many women are looking to simplify and declutter their lives and wardrobes. These articles have great tips on how to simplify your life and wardrobe.
- Minimalist Wardrobe for women (Part 1)
- Minimalist wardrobe for women (Part 2)
- Minimalist shoe wardrobe - the only shoes a woman needs
Scarf tying techniques - learn stylish ways to tie and wear your scarves:
Grooming Articles - Good grooming is an important part of looking well presented. It doesn't take long or cost much money. These articles will show you how:
My Blogs - I also have several Blogs which you may like to visit
- Chic and Minimalist Wardrobe Blog
- How to be chic Blog
Other articles I have written on Hubpages that are popular:
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE?
Join me and thousands of people from all around the world and write articles (Hubs) with Hubpages - an American company and start to earn passive income every month.
I live in England and joined three years ago and so far have 50 articles (Hubs), all written in my spare time. They earn me passive income every month. Some Hubbers have hundreds, even thousands of articles.
How does it work?
Hubpages provides the facility for you to write and publish articles online. They put adverts on the page which earn you money every month. Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it has the potential to earn you passive income every month for years.
What can I write about?
- Creative writing - such as short stories and poetry
- Product reviews
- Any subject you like. Examples include travel, hobbies, money, relationships, child-care, history, art, politics, fashion, technology etc
How much can I earn?
Hubpages puts adverts on our articles and we earn money every time someone reads the article - between US$3 to $8 per 1000 views. My average hubs are viewed/ read by about 30 people a day, my most popular hubs are read by 100 people a day. If you do the maths, you will see that a popular Hub, read 100 times a days, earns between US$110 to US$290 a year, and will continue to do so every year. Last year my hubs generated enough passive income to pay for my summer holiday and are on track to do the same again this year and every year.
How long does it take to write an article / Hub?
Some articles take me a couple of hours to write, others may take up to 5 hours to write. On average, I write one article a week. Many Hubpage members write more, some write less.
How much will it cost me?
- Nothing. Hubpages is FREE to join. You share your earnings with them. You keep 60%, they keep 40%. They want you to earn and make it easy for you.
It sounds too good to be true, where's the catch?
The catch is that you need to write good quality articles on subjects that enough people want to read about and make them easy to find on the internet.
How do I do this?
It is really easy when you know how. When you think about a topic you may want to write about, do the following:
- Think about some key phrases related to the subject.
- As an example, say you want to write a chicken curry recipe hub. Some connected phrases may be "How to cook a chicken curry", "Chicken Curry Recipe", "Recipe for Chicken Curry", "Easy Chicken Curry Recipe", "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe" - you get the idea..........
- Use the online "Adsense Keyword Tool". It is provided by Google and is free to use.
- To find it, simply type in Adsense Keyword Tool into search.
- Type in all of your phrases. The keyword tool will then tell you how many people a month are typing in these phrases.
- Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month.
- As an example, say you notice that 3000 people a month search for "How to cook a chicken curry" compared to only 500 who search for "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe".
- You call your article the most searched for phrase - "How to cook a chicken curry"
- Include this phrase into both the title and the content of your hub.
- Your article now stands a good chance of appearing on the first page of the Search Engines search results page, being clicked on and read.
What you are doing is finding out exactly what people want, the exact phrases they are typing into the search engines to find it, and writing articles that give them what they are looking for. You make it easy for them to find your article by using their search phrase in your title and content.
Give people what they are looking for and you will make money.
How else can I earn with Hubpages?
- Sell E-Bay and Amazon Products on your Hubs and earn commission.
- Encourage a friend to join Hubpages and receive 10% of their earnings
Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it will earn you money every day for years. That is passive income.
If I can do it, so can you.
Follow these six easy steps to join hubpages and start earning:
I recommend writing them down so you know what to do.
- Join Hubpages, the link is below, then.....
- Activate the Hubpages Earnings Programme to allow adverts to be shown on your account.
- Set up a PayPal Account. Hubpages pay your earnings into this account. If you already have one, this can be used.
- Think of a subject for your first "Hub .
- Search for and use Adsense Keyword Tool (It is a free to use tool.) Type in a few key phrases related to the topic of your hub. Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month and include this phrase in the title and content of your hub.
- Write and publish your first "Hub".
Remember, it is FREE to join, so you have nothing to lose. If thousands of other people around the world can make a passive income online with Hubpages, so can you.
To join Hubpages and start making money Click Here . Good Luck
More by this Author
How to dress like a lady. This article is for girls and women, young or old, who want to dress in a more feminine, ladylike way, and for mothers guiding their daughters on how to dress like a lady.
How to create a minimalist wardrobe for women using the secrets of chic French Parisian women. Learn which basic clothing items are essential and how to accessorise to make your minimalist wardrobe stylish.
Choosing to become a lady is empowering and the benefits are numerous. Learn how to be a lady, how to act like a lady, how to dress like a lady, how to be ladylike, how to act proper, and the benefits