Kinky Curly Curling Custard Review
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
I'm Finally Trying It!
I've researched this item over the internet, went to the Kinky Curly site www.kinky-curly.com , and questionned other "naturals" in the Target Store (they carry this product also) as they selected their Kinky Curly products from sometimes empty shelves where the product "should be!"
Shelly Davis is the Creator and owner of the Kinky Curly Line and reports to be a user of her product! On her site there is a picture of Shelly with shoulder-length "curled" hair and on another page where she is actually demonstrating the product her "curled" hair is waist-length!
Some reviews that I've read do report that their hair has grown to greater lengths after using the Kinky Curl line.
Kinky Curly Products
A botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance.
Kinky Curly Curling Custard has a light, sweet, cake batter smell. However, the smell doesn't linger too long after application unless you refresh your tresses with water.
It has a "sticky" glob-like translucent texture and you can shake it like a regular food jelly or jam!
I purchased my Kinky Curly Curling Custard from Target.com for $16.99 plus shipping. This price is cheaper than Kinky Curl's website.
How To Apply Product
I've taken the actual steps printed on the Kinky Curly site for your review. As you will notice, the owner is suggesting that you use two other products from her line. 1. The Shampoo "Come Clean," 2. The Conditioner "Knot Today," and 3. The Styling Gel "Kinky Curly Custard"
Application will take anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. It can take longer than that on thicker, longer hair.
1. Shampoo - COME CLEAN
It is very important to REMOVE old product BUILDUP from your hair and start with a CLEAN SLATE. Oils, butters, grease, wax and silicone coat the hair shaft and must be COMPLETELY WASHED OUT. Residue and/or product buildup may cause white film or flakes.
2. Detangle - Knot Today
Apply a generous amount and comb through your hair with a WIDE TOOTH COMBwhile it is soaking wet with conditioner. On tight curls DO NOT RINSE OUT. On loose curls rinse and leave a little on the ends.
3. Style - CURLING CUSTARD
On tight curls divide hair into SMALL sections and apply to SOAKING WET hair. SMOOTH each section with fingers from the root to the ends of the hair. If a section starts to dry RE-WET with water from a spray bottle. On loose curls hair can be damp and you can scrunch into bigger sections of hair.
ALLOW TO AIR DRY • DO NOT TOUCH • MAY CAUSE FRIZZ
Kinky Curly Curling Custard When Dried
PROS AND CONS of Kinky Curly Curling Custard
- The price! An 8 ounce jar can run anywhere from $16.99 to $18.99 and the 16 ounces can run anywhere from $29.99 to $35.99, depending on where you purchase it. Thus far, Target has been the cheapest, followed by Amazon.com.
- Availability. Oftentimes it's difficult to find BOTH the Kinky Curl "Knot Today" and the Curling Custard on the shelf. I originally purchased the "Knot Today" from the Target store and then had to order the "Curling Custard" from Target.com.
- People have complained about the shipping costs when purchasing from the Kinky Curl website.
- Applying the RIGHT amount of "Curling Custard" on your tresses will take several attempts.
- You will not get as many applications from the "Curling Custard" as you would Eco Styler or I.C. Fantansia when comparing the cost of $2.99 for an 8 ounce jar versus $16.99 for the same 8 ounces.
- For "finer" hair textures "a little goes a long way." For coarser textures more of the product is needed. Therefore, those of us who have combination textures on one head will need to practice our application of the Curly Custard.
- Curly Custard does not "play" well with a lot of other hair products because of its aloe vera juice content. This will sometime result in white clumps after application or can leave hair very sticky! This product also needs a "CLEAN" slate to work with. ALL previous oil, butter and the like build-up should be removed before applying the Curly Custard for best results.
- You NEED a moisturizer under the Curly Custard. "Knot Today" is preferred but Giovanni's Direct Leave-In Conditioner works well. NEVER apply the Curly Custard without a leave-in underneath!
- The Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner comes in at a pricey $11.99 (at Target) for 8 ounces.
- Women whose hair is shoulder-length and below found the nape of their neck to be consistenly sticky because of the "Curling Custard."
- The application of the "Knot Today" and "Curling Custard" can take HOURS to dry. A horror for those who can't stand for their hair to be wet!
- Product can give you that "Jherri Curl" look that some do not desire! Remember to keep your hands out of your hair so that you don't get a head full of frizz!
- Product leaves you with shiny, well-defined curls that lasts anywhere from 3 to 7 days.
- It's a good way to get away from silicone and mineral oil-laden gels.
- Product is organic and nicely scented.
- Easy to apply.
- It has a "soft" hold when leave-in is applied properly before the "Curling Custard."
- I saw no "frizz!" I often get that with most other gels.
- Curls with this product is more uniform.
- Curly Custard is truly concentrated.
- Item can be found at Whole Food Stores.
- Product can also be used when "rolling" hair on curlers.
About The Product
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS ALL NATURAL?
Our products are made with natural ingredients. We use only natural fragrances and safe food grade colors. Kinky-Curly TM products do contain preservatives to prevent mold and bacteria from forming. Our ingredients are gentle and safe for your hair and its growth.
DO YOUR PRODUCTS CONTAIN ANY ALCOHOL OR SILICONES?
No, our products do not contain any alcohol or silicones. In addition, we will also state that our products contain no SD Alcohol 40, no drying alcohols, no silicones, no petroleum, no mineral oil, no hydrolyzed wheat protein, animal protein or other proteins that can build up when used daily and we do not test on animals. They are formulated with only the finest ingredients that will benefit your hair and its growth.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS JUST FOR BLACK WOMEN? I AM CAUCASIAN BUT MY HAIR IS VERY THICK & FRIZZY.
Our products are made for ANY woman (or man) with thick, dry, frizzy hair. We have many satisfied customers that are Latin, Asian, Jewish and Caribbean. Whether your hair is coarse and kinky or frizzy and curly our products can work for your hair type. Our products very rich but never greasy.
CAN I USE KINKY-CURLY TM PRODUCTS IF I HAVE A SILKENER OR A TEXTURIZER?
Absolutely YES. The Curling Custard TM will help replace the moisture that was lost during the chemical process of a silkener or a texturizer. If your hair is relaxed and you still have some curl or wave pattern left then the Curling Custard TM and Spiral Spritz TM will help with styling for curl definition,frizz reduction and shine. If your hair is relaxed bone straight then our products will not do much for curl definition in this case. The Knot Today TM can be used for tangles on hair that is both relaxed or natural. Our Gloss Pomade TM is also great for both relaxed and natural hair.
Let Me Know What You Think
What is Your Experience With Kinky Curly Curling Custard?See results without voting
Update: Knot Today Alternative
I will purchase this product again and again! I'm not pleased with the cost of the item, which is a concerned voiced by many Kinky Curl users. I love the shine and hold and have received many compliments.
My 3b/3c hair looks, dark, shiny, and healthy. Shrinkage is a given with curly hair but I did find that the product gave me more hang and my tighter 3c hair on the back and sides of my hair.
Even the prospect of extraordinary hair growth, makes the product worth trying for the month! I attribute this growth to the glycerin found in the KCCC. My hair LOVES glycerin! This enables the product to keep the hair moist and bouncy!
So after all has been said and done, it's a YES to Kinky Curly Curling Custard!
More by this Author
Dancing is good for the soul! It lifts, invigorates, and opens ones creative awareness.
Hair grease has been a staple of African American homes for decades. Mothers could be seen plaiting young girl hair on stoops, in kitchens, and bedrooms. Is it still prevalent for natural hair sporting women today?
The time is the late 1960's and there were not an abundance of african american dolls on the market. It was also a time when african american's like Leslie Uggams, Diahann Carroll, and Sidney Poitier had...