Leather Briefcases for Him or Her
The smell of genuine leather is one of those scents that really excites my senses. There is something so primitive, something so uninhibited, and something so sensual about the smell of quality genuine leather. Yes, like many, I also associate it deeply with masculinity. Take me into a boot store or saddle shop and I'm happy.
A few years ago my daughter bought me a leather rose at a festival she had gone to on a school field trip. She was so excited to make this purchase because she knew how much I loved the scent of leather. Being that it was a rose, the clerk quickly sprayed the rose with some rose perfume before tucking it away in the bag. My poor daughter's heart sank. To her, it was ruined and she didn't have the nerve to tell the clerk. I told her that in time the fake rose smell would fade and it would again smell like leather, and it has.
In doing some research for this hub, I actually found sites dedicated (oh my gawd!) to telling people how to get the smell of leather out of things! I feel faint. Why? How can that be? How can there possibly be anyone on the planet that would purchase something made of leather and then purposely seek to have that wondrous smell taken away? I can only assume they made the purchase for the long-lasting durability rather than the scent.
Choosing a Leather Briefcase
I carry a briefcase everywhere I go. As a female, I want my briefcase to look feminine, but professional. Besides the look and color that you want, there are some other things to consider when choosing a leather briefcase.
- How will you being using it? Do you plan to carry a laptop in it? Lots of files? Books? All of these things will need compartments to hold them. Do you need compartments for pens, calculators, etc.? Do you need external compartments so that you don't have to open the entire briefcase to get some items?
- Handles/straps-How do you plan to carry the briefcase most often? Will you carry it by a simple handle or will you sometimes need to use a shoulder strap because your hands will be full? The weight you carry around will also affect your choice of handles. Make sure they are durable. Remember that sometimes braided straps ravel and raveled threads look untidy. I've had several briefcases that the handles wore out long before the rest of the briefcase showed any wear or tear.
- Durability-Make sure the briefcase can withstand the load you'll be carrying. Stitching is always preferable to gluing. Watch for irregular stitches or stitches with loose ends.
- Closure-Make sure you briefcase can be easily opened and closed. The one I have now was given to me and it is horribly difficult to open and close. I would not have personally chosen the type of clasps that it has.
- Warranty/Guarantee-I found a gorgeous leather briefcase that carries a 100 year warranty. It's something to think about when considering the cost and how often you use it. (It's one of the companies linked below.)
Great Links and Resources
Beautiful leather briefcases with 100 year warranties.
- How To Clean Leather Seats Video | Car Cleaning & Detailing Videos | Howcast.com
Video: How To Clean Leather Seats. Leather seats are expensive. Keep them looking that way with a little cleaning and conditioning.
- Different Kinds of Leather
Navigating the differents kinds of leather
- Leather Unlimited Corp-Friendly Service and Quality Leather for over 38 years
Leather, Leathercraft, blackpowder, belts, buckles, conchos, motorcycle, feathers, handbags, hawks, leathercraft kits, jewelry, leathercraft hardware, leathercraft tools, rawhide, sheepskin, stamping tools, jackets, vests
- Wilsons Leather
- Leather Bags - How to Spot Fake Leather
These days designer bags can be found just about anywhere, from the street vendors to ritzy up-market stores. Most designer authentic leather bags are priced upwards of $1500 and are out of the reach of the...
More by this Author
Sometimes as we age we begin to get a little frumpy in our appearance. Sometimes it's because we've lost the desire to put so much effort into looking good, but sometimes, it's because we've finally gotten comfortable...
Philtrum? For those of you not familiar with this part of the human anatomy, it's that groove just above your upper lip and just below your nose situated between your nostrils. The word philtrum is from the Greek word...
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".