17 Lemon Uses for Natural Beauty and Health
Lemons NaturallyClick thumbnail to view full-size
As you have probably heard, lemons are a natural wonder, healer, cleaner and beautifier. Every time we turn around, a new use for this fruit has been discovered. They are high in vitamin C, have an anti-bacterial effect and are thought to possess antioxidant and anti-carcinogenic properties. The juice itself is said to be about 5% acid, which also makes them useful for a variety of household cleaning applications and an inexpensive part of any beauty regime. Whether you dilute with water or not, lemon peels, rind and lemon juice are a popular addition to any household's list of staples.
I will be updating this list periodically so please share any new and ingenious lemon uses you may discover or hear about - I will be sure to give you credit!
17 and Counting
Lemons, ripened by the sun and sweetened by your imagination
- As a lightener-brightener for winter stands - mix lemon juice with your favorite conditioner and apply directly to sections of hair that you want to glow - then go in the sun and relax for a spell before rinsing
- Whiten and brighten your nails by splitting a lemon in half and digging those finger tips in -Play for awhile as the citrus works it's magic then moisturize cuticles with Vaseline
- Now take the used lemon half and bleach skin on elbows, knees, feet, anywhere you please!
- Put a few drop drops into distilled water and use as toner for oily skin - it will also lighten freckles, brown pigmentation and acne scars if applied regularly. Don't forget to moisturize
- For an instant zit-zap, mix with baking soda and dab on blemish until dry
- Stick cloves into the outside of a ripe lemon, wrap with tulle or sheer fabric and tie top with a bright ribbon - Now use as a sachet! Heavenly, and it makes a great Christmas gift
- Drop a lemon wedge in your water to flush toxins from your body and it's medicinal value is endless.
- Make and drink real lemonade for it's vitamin C & antioxidant properties - clears and beautifies skin, strengthens immune system and tastes wonderful
- Dry lemon zest for fragrant potpourri, sprinkling on top of tiny lemon cakes or your favorite tea
- A few lemon peels in the garbage disposal get rid of cooking odors in an instant, better than air freshener!
- Pour lemon juice around areas, inside and out, where ants hang out - it is said to repel them
- Use as an all purpose cleaner in the bathroom or kitchen. You can use with vinegar for mirrors and windows or with water for counters, toilets and even floors and walls
- Use a cap-full with your laundry and/or your dishwasher detergent for a fresh sweet smell
- Like baking soda, use a lemon half to freshen your fridge or boil a few slices in water inside your microwave to clean and remove stale food odors
- Rub lemon juice on your wooden chopping board, leave overnight and then rinse well. The lemon will help kill off unwanted debris and neutralize any odors
- Use a half lemon to clean the lime scale off faucets and shower doors, rinse well.
New Uses for Lemons
More Hubs by Chatkath on Health and Beauty
- Beauty & the Beast of Time: Growing Old Gracefully
Beauty does not have to be a beast, however frightening the loss of that physical beauty ideal may be to some. The true definition of beauty must be clarified in order for one to mature with grace and style.
- Inner Strength and Beauty: Quotes and Inspiration
True Beauty is but a light in the heart, as we labor tirelessly to appear younger, thinner or the latest version of "hot" the real focus should point elsewhere perhaps - otherwise the journey is fruitless, much like a stunning but hollow shell...
- Wake up Beautiful-Free Beauty Tips that Work While you Sleep
Who ever thought that one could accomplish so much while doing absolutely nothing? In reality, the process of sleeping puts your body to work. Renewing all those spent skin cells is just the beginning! Why not take a few minutes before bed to give be
- Natural and Economical Lip Beauty: Tips for a Younger, Smoother Looking Mouth
Have fun Smiling! Lip beauty basics with ingredients from your own kitchen cupboard. Tricks and treats for a fuller looking pout. Mirror-mirror on the wall Radiate from within since home made confidence creates the most beautiful of them all
- Naturally Green Sheen: Make your own Chemical-Free Lip Gloss
We can't ignore all of the warnings about chemicals and additives, especially when it comes to anything we may ingest. DIY Natural make up becomes more appealing everyday, and you can't beat the price!
More by this Author
The appeal of the undergarment has not diminished over the years, in fact lingerie has inspired more than a few outer garments, leaving little for the imagination but the freedom of personal choice!
True Beauty is but a light in the heart, as we labor tirelessly to appear younger, thinner or the latest version of "hot" the real focus should point elsewhere perhaps - otherwise the journey is fruitless,...
Because all children learn differently, it is more important than ever that parents become involved, focusing on their child's strengths & building confidence, not projecting worry and doubt!