Liposuction Gone Wrong – Things You Should Know About
How to know that a liposuction has gone wrong?
There are many symptoms that can foretell a failure in liposuction, among them are apparent asymmetry in both legs, obvious sunken skin in the upper knees, pit-like areas in the butt after lipo and uneven skins around the waist and abdomen. Usually pit-like skin is caused by suctioning too much fat cells, whereas a mild protrusion on the skin is due to less suctioning. Liposuction that has seriously gone wrong needs to be fixed through a liposuction repair.
Causes of liposuction failure
For liposuction surgery, the fat should be suctioned both at the deep layer and shallow layer, usually, fat is suctioned out in a hollow tube through an incision on the skin, sometimes, there will be several incisions on the skin, all of which need to be treated. When in operation, liposuction is done from the center of the incision place and spread to other fat tissues around the incision. Experienced doctor will pay special attention to the suction degree during the whole process and achieves better results. Liposuction is quite demanding on doctor’s skills, if the cannula is inserted too deep under the skin, it may cause uneven skin surface after the surgery, while if the cannula is inserted too shallow, usually, it is easy to reach the bottom layer of skin corium, where there is a largely integrated vascular network with lots of blood vessels and capillary vessels, thus increasing the risk of damaging blood vessels and resulting in subcutaneous bleeding and swelling.
Many parts of the body can have liposuction to improve their shape and achieve some immediate results. This includes abdomen, thigh and calf, shoulder and arm, face, etc.. One of the major concern in liposuction is the degree of the operation to be done. Taking the most common abdomen liposuction as an example, some subcutaneous fat should be left, with thickness about 1 to 1.5 cm. Because too much suction of belly fat leaves an unnatural “skinny” feeling of the belly, which is unattractive and far away from true beauty. Moderate fat suction is the best choice in most cases.
Severe uneven skin surface after liposuction is mainly caused by malpractice or inexperience of the surgeon. The cannula – a hollow liposuction tube – has on its end 1 to 3 holes, each about 4 mm in diameter. In the procedure when the liposuction machine is turned on, fat cells near these holes will quickly be sucked out through the tube, whereas, fat cells far away from the holes are less likely to be sucked out. Also, in the procedure, the cannula is constantly moving in the subcutaneous tissues, there are places where the tubes touch more and suction more, and places where the tubes touch less and suction less, this may also lead to uneven amount of fat cells being sucked out of the body. What’s more, there are also cases when fat in the shallow layers under the skin are suctioned unevenly, which leads to adhesion to the subcutaneous tissue and uneven skin surface after the surgery.
On the whole, reasons that lead to liposuction going wrong are in general due to: 1, Lack of standard operation procedures of the medical institution, 2, Malpractice or lack of skills of the plastic surgeon, 3, Low quality medical equipment, 4, Improper surgical treatment such as lack of disinfection etc. All the above reasons contribute to the failure of liposuction, and they should be strictly avoided in the first place.
What to do when liposuction has gone wrong seriously?
Well, for those who are unfortunate to have serious liposuction failures, the only way out is through liposuction repair. It is a type of cosmetic surgery that repairs liposuction failure such as uneven skin, bilateral asymmetry to minimize the negative impact from the first round of liposuction and improves the appearance from the previous failure. If done properly, liposuction repair can successfully repair the error from the previous surgery, and has a result perfect enough to compete with those successful surgeries.
However, there are also some basic principles for a liposuction repair:
- Do not rush to take the repair surgery immediately after the first liposuction has gone wrong, you should wait for at least six months before you are able to take a second surgery.
- Liposuction repair procedure should be re-designed, and in the operation, fat tissues should be retained as much as possible instead of being arbitrarily eliminated again.
- Adjustment should be made to overcome the shortcomings from the first surgery.
- You should be aware that trauma recovery in the second liposuction may take much longer to recover than after the previous surgery.
What to do after a liposuction repair?
After the first liposuction has gone wrong, post-operative care is very important to its liposuction repair, it should be done with great care to avoid any further troubles. Below are some basic tips that are helpful:
- Do not eat seafood or spicy food during the recovery period.
- Mild activities are recommended instead of staying in bed all day long, mental or light manual work will not hurt the patient in his or her recovery.
- There is still some subcutaneous fluids remained in the surgical area, so there may be some liquids leaking out in the first day of the repair surgery. You can apply on the dressing with gauze or a sanitary towel if leaking fluids soaked the dressing. Do not take away the dressing to avoid contamination.
- Do not take a shower for 3 to 5 days after the surgery to avoid contamination on the wound.
- Wear a post-liposuction girdle for at least 3 months after the surgery, you can adjust the pressure accordingly.
- Skin after liposuction is less sensitive to heat, which may cause heat damage in the skin if it is exposed to heat source for a long time. You should stay away from any physical therapy that can produce lots of heat.
More by this Author
This hub reveals some principles and tips of breast lift without surgery, these methods are very effective in lifting and reshaping your breast, and you don’t have to undergo the trouble of a cosmetic surgery and...
Liposuction is a good way to reshape your body quickly, however, liposuction may cause some serious complications too, and that’s why you should fully understand the dangers of liposuction before taking it. ...
This hub reveals some of the truths about inner thigh liposuction, including general information about this cosmetic surgery as well as some tips before and after the surgery. Thigh liposuction The human adult...