Men with Long Hair
Men with long hair are said to comprise about 2 to 3% of the adult male population. My boyfriend currently has longer hair than mine, and it seems like I’ve always had a subconscious preference towards men with long hair, as can be evidenced by analyzing my list of favorite famous men with long hair (see their sexy pictures below!).
Acceptance of Men with Long Hair in Different Cultures
Men with long hair tend to stand out from the crowd. In the U.S. we are used to seeing famous rock stars flaunting their long locks. But a lot of “regular” men are also daring to go with slightly longer hairstyles as well. Are men with long hair nothing more than rebels against society? Certain cultures and religious groups certainly seem to think so. For example,
- Islamic countries in North Africa, such as Egypt, view long hair in men as homosexual. One Egyptian police even referred to long hair on men as satanic and a sign of an infidel.
- Many conservative religious groups within the U.S. also condemn long hair on men. One Christian writer associated long hair with the rampantly rebellious attitude of the 1960’s.
In contrast to the above, however, certain groups actually look highly upon men with long hair. For instance,
- Native American men wore long hair before the arrival of western influences on their culture. In Cherokee legends, males who are said to be handsome were often described as having long hair.
- In Chinese culture the queue hairstyle of the Manchurians, which was later imposed on the Han Chinese, consisted of the hair on the front of the head being shaved off above the temples and the rest of the hair being braided into a long ponytail. The hairstyle was required to be worn by all males and the penalty for not having it was execution.
- Sikh men have long hair called “Kes”. These men are devoted to God and believe they must keep their long hair as a way of remaining true to the natural form that God created them in.
- The Nordic, Germanic and Celtic tribes of northern Europe wore long hair and beards as short hair was a sign of slavery and punishment.
- The Rastafarian religion, famous for its long-hair dreaded males, has a saying that, "A man without hair is like a tree without leaves."
Famous Men with Long Hair
There seems to be something seductive about famous men with long hair. Male musicians, actors, and sex symbols of the modern era are often seen sporting longer hairstyles. Casanova himself was well known for his long seductive hair. Here are my personal top 10 favorite famous men with long hair from the past and present:
1. Brad Pitt
2. Johnny Depp
3. Hugh Jackman
4. Keanu Reeves
5. Antonio Banderas
6. Viggo Mortensen
7. Kurt Cobain
8. Christian Bale
9. Keith Urban
10. David Beckham
Other Famous Men with Long Hair
For another female’s picks of most attractive famous men with long hair you can watch this YouTube video:
Hair Care for Men with Long Hair
Some guys who grow their hair long mistakenly believe that long hair will be easier to care for than short hair since it can just be pulled back into a ponytail. However, in order to keep your hair looking clean and healthy, experts say that men with long hair actually will need to give it a little extra attention.
For one thing, you should use a wide-tooth comb when detangling your hair when it’s wet, and a high quality hair brush with natural bristles if possible to keep it tangle-free when dry. If you wear a ponytail, buy some cloth-coated bands, since plain old rubber bands will damage the hair. Finally, be sure to choose a quality shampoo and conditioner based on your personal hair needs.
Care for Your Hair:
More by this Author
If you live outside of the U.S., you may have already had the chance to hear the new Coca Cola commercial song based on the song "Whatever" by the group Oasis. The Coke commercial version is enthusiastically...
If you are anything like me, you may have enjoyed watching American football for many years without really understanding everything that was going on. It was only after I developed a better knowledge of the rules and...
No matter what the cause, having permanently enlarged red veins on the whites of your eyes can really take a toll on a person’s self esteem.