Minimalist Wardrobe for Men - Tips to help you create your own minimalist clothing list and stylish minimalist closet
Welcome to my latest Hubpages article on creating a minimalist wardrobe for men. Whether you are a man looking to declutter your own wardrobe, a woman looking to help your boyfriend or huband create a minimalist closet, or someone searching for a comprehensive minimalist clothing checklist for men, I am sure that you will find what follows useful.
There are many advantages to having a minimalist wardrobe and I will show you how to create one perfectly tailored to your own individual needs, that ensures:
- You have enough clothes for all your lifestyle activities
- You spend less money on clothes and less time shopping
- You have a tidy and organised minimalist closet
- You always have something to wear whatever the occasion
Creating a minimalist wardrobe for men in three easy steps.
Creating a minimalist wardrobe for men can be achieved by following these three basic steps.
- Identify your lifestyle activities.
- Make sure you have enough clothes for each of your lifestyle activities.
- Organising your wardrobe into mini-wardrobes
Step one - identify your lifestyle activities
The most important factor is to identify your lifestyle activities and the time that you spend on each activity.
I have put together a list of Lifestyle activities to get you started on your own list. They include:
Work, Running errands / Shopping, Smart-Casual Social events, Formal Social Events, Exercise, Leisure and Holidays.
The aim is to create separate mini-wardrobes for each of these activities.
For your work wardrobe, you need to take into account two main factors, the number of days during the week that you spend at work and how formal or casual your work dress code is. This should help you decide how many outfits you need and style of the clothes.
- If you work full-time in a formal office, you might need a couple of suits, five shirts, two to three ties and a couple of pairs of shoes.
- If you work in a less formal environment, you could wear trousers and shirts, for colder months pull-overs and more casual style shoes.
- For a more casual work environment, such as working from home, or dress-down Fridays you would need a selection of more casual outfits.
Running Errands / Shopping
Most people need to run errands, such as shopping for groceries, going to the post-office or bank etc. Whilst you can get away with wearing clothes from your casual wardrobe, I would recommend having a comfortable pair of shoes that you use just for this activity, as it usually involves a lot of walking.
Formal Social Events
Everyone usually attends the following Formal Social events at sometime in their life.
- Formal Interviews
For most men, one dark suit together with a white shirt and smart black shoes would be enough for formal social events such as weddings, a funeral and a formal interview.
To adapt the suit to the event, you would also need three ties, a black tie for funerals, a tie suitable for an interview and a more colourful one suitable for a wedding.
If you buy a white shirt, which are often quite see-through, I also recommend buying a white vest top to wear underneath so that if you remove your jacket, you can't see through the shirt.
Also buy a smart pair of black socks.
If you choose a classic single-breasted style suit, it should last you for years. If you work in an office, try not to wear this suit or the shoes to work as this will wear it out.
- Black tie
If you regularly attend Black Tie events, such as a ball, you may like to own your own Black-Tie Tuxedo Suit, otherwise think about hiring one when you receive an invitation.
Smart / Casual Social Events
It is often in the smart / casual element of people's wardobes that people don't have enough of the right type of clothes, which usually leads to the cry of "I don't have anyting to wear".
Events that come under this heading could include:
- Eating out at an informal restaurant
- Meeting friends after work for drinks
- Going to the theatre
- Going to someone's informal 40th birthday party.
- Going to a nightclub
I would recommend building a mini-wardrobe based around two types of outfits, the first consisting of a smart pair of dark denim jeans a smart/casual shirt and smart/casual jacket.
The second outfit would be based around a neutral coloured pair of smart casual trousers, preferably that works with the shirt and jacket above.
You also need to buy some smart casual shoes.
To ring the changes and extend this wardrobe, you can add more shirts if you like.
Don't forget to buy some nice belts and cufflinks for the shirts.
- Do you exercise regularly? Would you like to but lack of clothing may be one of the factors stopping you.
- Write down the exercises you do or would like to do
- Write down the number of garments / outfits you need together with the type of shoes you need.
Hobbies, Leisure and Holidays
You may have some hobbies that require a separate set of clothes, such as if you play golf.
Write these down and work out what you need.
For a Holiday Wardrobe you need to think about the type of holidays you go on. For example:
- Beach holidays - for which you would need swimwear,sunhats, beachfootwear
- Skiing Holdays - for which you would need ski-wear
- Citybreaks and sighseeing holidays - for which you would need comfortable walking shoes
- Action / Activity holidays - for which you might need more specialist clothes.
Minimalist clothing list for men
I don't believe in a one list fits all type of minimalist clothing list. I know many people are looking for them, but they don't meet your individual needs.
I prefer a more holistic approach and strongly recommend you carry out the above exercise. By the end of it, you will understand your lifestyle and the types of clothes you need for each lifestyle activity.
Then, using my suggestions, start to create your own minimalist clothing list that is unique to you.
How to organise your wardrobe - minimalist closet design
I believe that the key to a minimalist wardrobe that works is to a good idea to organise you wardrobe so that all elements of the mini-wardrobes a kept together. I keep clothes that I wear everyday to work in the main part of my wardrobe and on top of my wardrobe I keep the clothes that I don't wear very often. For example, your suit and it's accessories (for weddings, interviews and funerals) could go on the top of the wardrobe in a box, or hang the whole ensemble up in a clothes bag in the wardrobe.
The benefit of organising your wardrobe in ths way is that when an event crops up, you instantly go to the relevant part of your wardrobe and everything for that particular activity such as a wedding should all be in one place.
That is good minimalist closet design.
Review and Edit your wardrobe twice a year
I like to review my minimalist closet twice a year, at the begining of spring and autumn.
Because my wardrobe is organised by mini-wardrobes according to each activity area, it makes the job much easier.
I simply find the clothes for a particular activity and see if they still fit, and still in good condition.
I then make sure I have enough clothes / outfits in this mini-wardrobe and if there are gaps, I put them on my shopping list.
This is the system that I use to create and maintain my wardrobe. As my lifestyle changes, I add or subtract mini-wardrobes.
It is imortant to make sure you have enough clothes in each of your mini-wardrobes. Any surplus can be discarded, leaving you with the bare minimum that you need. That to me is the essence of a minimalist closet, one where you have enough clothes to meet your chosen lifestyle activities and no more.
As a result, each item in your wardrobe is there for a reason.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE?
Join me and thousands of people from all around the world and write articles (Hubs) with Hubpages - an American company and start to earn passive income every month.
I live in England and joined three years ago and so far have 50 articles (Hubs), all written in my spare time. They earn me passive income every month. Some Hubbers have hundreds, even thousands of articles.
How does it work?
Hubpages provides the facility for you to write and publish articles online. They put adverts on the page which earn you money every month. Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it has the potential to earn you passive income every month for years.
What can I write about?
- Creative writing - such as short stories and poetry
- Product reviews
- Any subject you like. Examples include travel, hobbies, money, relationships, child-care, history, art, politics, fashion, technology etc
How much can I earn?
Hubpages puts adverts on our articles and we earn money every time someone reads the article - between US$3 to $8 per 1000 views. My average hubs are viewed/ read by about 30 people a day, my most popular hubs are read by 100 people a day. If you do the maths, you will see that a popular Hub, read 100 times a days, earns between US$110 to US$290 a year, and will continue to do so every year. Last year my hubs generated enough passive income to pay for my summer holiday and are on track to do the same again this year and every year.
How long does it take to write an article / Hub?
Some articles take me a couple of hours to write, others may take up to 5 hours to write. On average, I write one article a week. Many Hubpage members write more, some write less.
How much will it cost me?
- Nothing. Hubpages is FREE to join. You share your earnings with them. You keep 60%, they keep 40%. They want you to earn and make it easy for you.
It sounds too good to be true, where's the catch?
The catch is that you need to write good quality articles on subjects that enough people want to read about and make them easy to find on the internet.
How do I do this?
It is really easy when you know how. When you think about a topic you may want to write about, do the following:
- Think about some key phrases related to the subject.
- As an example, say you want to write a chicken curry recipe hub. Some connected phrases may be "How to cook a chicken curry", "Chicken Curry Recipe", "Recipe for Chicken Curry", "Easy Chicken Curry Recipe", "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe" - you get the idea..........
- Use the online "Adsense Keyword Tool". It is provided by Google and is free to use.
- To find it, simply type in Adsense Keyword Tool into search.
- Type in all of your phrases. The keyword tool will then tell you how many people a month are typing in these phrases.
- Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month.
- As an example, say you notice that 3000 people a month search for "How to cook a chicken curry" compared to only 500 who search for "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe".
- You call your article the most searched for phrase - "How to cook a chicken curry"
- Include this phrase into both the title and the content of your hub.
- Your article now stands a good chance of appearing on the first page of the Search Engines search results page, being clicked on and read.
What you are doing is finding out exactly what people want, the exact phrases they are typing into the search engines to find it, and writing articles that give them what they are looking for. You make it easy for them to find your article by using their search phrase in your title and content.
Give people what they are looking for and you will make money.
How else can I earn with Hubpages?
- Sell E-Bay and Amazon Products on your Hubs and earn commission.
- Encourage a friend to join Hubpages and receive 10% of their earnings
Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it will earn you money every day for years. That is passive income.
If I can do it, so can you.
Follow these six easy steps to join hubpages and start earning:
I recommend writing them down so you know what to do.
- Join Hubpages, the link is below, then.....
- Activate the Hubpages Earnings Programme to allow adverts to be shown on your account.
- Set up a PayPal Account. Hubpages pay your earnings into this account. If you already have one, this can be used.
- Think of a subject for your first "Hub .
- Search for and use Adsense Keyword Tool (It is a free to use tool.) Type in a few key phrases related to the topic of your hub. Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month and include this phrase in the title and content of your hub.
- Write and publish your first "Hub".
Remember, it is FREE to join, so you have nothing to lose. If thousands of other people around the world can make a passive income online with Hubpages, so can you.
To join Hubpages and start making money Click Here . Good Luck
More by this Author
The aim of grooming is not to spend hours trying to look perfect, but to look clean, neat and presentable for both yourself and to others. This article covers the basics, the minimum that you need to do to look well...
How to create a minimalist wardrobe for women using the secrets of chic French Parisian women. Learn which basic clothing items are essential and how to accessorise to make your minimalist wardrobe stylish.
Choosing to become a lady is empowering and the benefits are numerous. Learn how to be a lady, how to act like a lady, how to dress like a lady, how to be ladylike, how to act proper, and the benefits