Natural Remedies for Blackheads
What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are pores that are clogged with sebum (an oily, waxy material) that is mixed with dead skin cells. When the two mix it creates a hard texture and appears black in color. Sebum oil is produced by the sebaceous gland.
Blackheads can be difficult to get rid of and while there are plenty of products on the market geared towards fighting blackheads, there are also several natural remedies that are just as effective, if not more effective, at getting rid of blackheads and keeping them from coming back. So why go with store bought products containing harsh chemicals and additives when you can use natural remedies and still have beautiful clear skin.
Below you will find a series of recipes for all natural scrubs, peels, and masks that will fight blackheads with natural food products that you probably already have in your kitchen!
Milk & Nutmeg Scrub
You can create your own natural blackhead fighting scrub with ingredients found in your kitchen, specifically nutmeg and milk which provide a 1-2 punch for getting rid of blackheads.
Nutmeg is effective at fighting blackheads because it gets rid of oil and provides the exfoliation to scrub away dead skin cells, oil, and sebum and leave smooth, clear skin.
Meanwhile, the lactic acid found in milk breaks down old and dead skin cells so that they will wash away easier.
Tip: Buttermilk contains more lactic acid than regular milk and is therefore, even more effective at fighting blackheads.
How to Make a Milk & Nutmeg Scrub
- Combine nutmeg with milk until you have a thin paste.
- Rinse your clean face (no make-up, lotions, etc...) with water and then apply the scrub in light, circular motions.
- Exfoliate lightly for 3 to 5 minutes (remember if you scrub too hard you could damage your skin!) and then rinse.
Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar Scrub
Baking soda is an excellent exfoliant that can be used to minimize blackheads.
Apple cider vinegar has astringent and anti-bacterial properties which is great for clearing out pores and getting rid of blackheads.
How to Make a Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar Scrub
- Combine baking soda and apple cider vinegar until you have a thick paste.
- Gently use the mix to scrub away dead skin cells and clogged pores.
- After several minutes, rinse your face clean with cold water.
Lemon Juice & Sugar Scrub
Lemon juice contains alpha hydroxy acid which exfoliates skin and fights blackheads. The vitamins and nutrients in lemon juice are good for all skin types, so this remedy can be used on all skin types.
The sugar creates the consistency of a scrub in order to further exfoliate away dead skin cells.
How to Make a Lemon Juice & Sugar Scrub
- Mix lemon juice and sugar until it is the consistency of a paste.
- Scrub the paste on your clean face in a gentle, circular motion for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with cold water to reveal soft skin with less blackheads.
Honey is an effective natural remedy for fighting blackheads because it has antibacterial and antioxidant qualities. Additionally, as you likely already know, honey is very sticky and can therefore will stick to the contents of your clogged pores and help pull the gunk out.
How to Use a Honey Peel
- To use honey to clear out your pores, pour honey on your fingers and pat your fingers across your face, focusing on areas with blackheads. The honey will stick to the gunk in your pores and pull it out of your pores. Do this for several minutes and then rinse the trace bits of honey off of your face.
Egg White Mask
Egg whites not only fight blackheads but help to tighten the skin and pores to prevent future blackheads. Egg whites also help to brighten the skin and even skin tone. After using this mask you will have skin that will be tight, smooth, and soft.
How to Use an Egg White Mask
- Apply a thin layer of egg white on your face with a paint brush. Let it dry.
- Apple a second thin layer of egg white.
- Allow the mask to sit and dry for at least 15 minutes.
- Scrub the egg whites off of your face very gently with a warm, wet washcloth.
Clay masks are effective at fighting blackheads by drawing out impurities and toxins, exfoliating the skin, and absorbing oils.
How to Make a Clay Mask
- Combine 1 tablespoon of clay with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Stir the mixture until you have a smooth paste without lumps.
- Apply the mask to your entire face or where you have blackheads.
- Let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes until it is dry.
- Using a warm, wet washcloth press down on the mask for a few seconds.
- Slowly and gently clean off the mask with the washcloth.
What does a blackhead really look like?
We've all seen blackheads in the mirror on our nose, cheeks, forehead, or chin, but do you know what blackheads really look like? Well, while they may look like black specks to us, as you can see by looking at the picture to the right (of a blackhead up close under a microscope) they are actually more of an amber color which makes sense as they are made of sebum oil. Still pretty gross! Probably best to use the recipes above to get rid of blackheads so that these gross little things aren't clogging up your pores!
Even More Info on Natural Skin Care
- Recipes for Facial Masks and Treatments to Fight Blackheads
A series of natural recipes for facial masks and treatments to fight blackheads with items you may find in your kitchen. Get beautiful, clear skin naturally with these natural skincare treatments.
- Natural Remedies for Clear Skin: 20 All Natural Tips for Beautiful Skin
20 tips and tricks for beautiful and clear skin naturally. These natural remedies will ensure beautiful skin and a clear complexion from head to toe.
- Natural Remedies for Blackheads--Treat Blackheads Naturally
Blackheads are ugly black spots on the skin caused by pores clogged with sebum, dead skin cells, and oil. There are numerous ways to treat blackheads and this article will share natural remedies and cures for blackheads.
How do you prefer to fight blackheads?See results without voting
© 2013 Maya Frances
More by this Author
Learn how to tell if peaches are ripe. Tips for how to tell whether a peach is ripe and how to ripen a peach. Learn all about the best ways to enjoy this delicious, juicy fruit.