Shoes Cleaning Tips. How You Can Clean and Wash Your Shoes.
Different places and different times produce different customs. What was usual in my childhood, in my old country is not at all customary nowadays. I remember my mother was ironing bed sheets and T-shirts. Now it seems such a waste of time and electricity.
We were hand washing our clothes, socks and underwear, yes, by hand. We were using washing machines only to wash bedding, curtains and towels. Now I put everything into my washing machine.
I even wash my sport shoes in the washing machine. No wonder that my sport shoes do not last long and very often lose their shape. And still I wash my regular sport shoes in a washing machine.
Sometimes you can do it.
It depends on the material the shoes (especially the soles) are made of. Also, if your shoes are not too expensive and if you don't really care about the shape of your shoes and if your shoes are very dirty and foul-smelling, you may throw them into your washing machine, but follow the tips:
- Take the laces and insoles out of the shoes. You may wash the laces with your regular laundry, but put them in a small mesh bag to prevent all the tangling. Insoles may be ruined if you put them into a washer.
- Pull out the tongue. (Not yours, the tongue of the shoes!)
- Put the shoes in a mesh bag or in a pillowcase (this will make it easier on the drum of your machine)
- Set up your machine for a gentle cycle and cold water. Use your regular detergent.
- After you take your shoes out of the washer, wipe them with paper towels.
- Stuff the shoes with paper towels to preserve the shape of the shoes. Replace paper towels when they are soaked.
- Dry the shoes in a well ventilated room or in complete shade; never put them under the sun.
- When the shoes are completely dry, put inserts and laces into the shoes.
- Sprinkle a bit of baking soda inside the shoes to keep them smelling fresh.
By the way, you have an opportunity to listen to a special "washing machine shoes music"!
How to take care of your Skechers Shape-Ups
I would not wash my Skechers Shape-Ups in a washing machine, no matter how dirty they are. Though, I have to tell you that I found a forum online (can't find it again, no matter what way I try) where two people wrote that they washed their Shape-Ups in a washer and they came out like new, did not shrink and did not lose their shape. On the other hand, one lady said that her shoes got absolutely out of shape after she threw them into a washer. So, if you decide to wash your dirty Shape-Ups in a washing machine, do it on your own risk. Or better, just follow the tips how to care for your Skechers Shape-Ups that I listed above and below.
My opinion is that Sketchers shoes are stylish, with vibrant colors. Plastic materials are often used on front and bottom of Skechers shoes. If you put Skechers shoes, especially Shape-Ups into a washing machine, the structure and form of the shoe may change. Don’t allow buildup of dirt and you will be able to maintain your Shape-Ups in a nice shape even without having to wash them. If you still have to wash Shape-Ups shoes, I hope my tips will help you.
My tips hopefully will help you with virtually ANY types of shoes.
Tips how to clean your shoes
- If your shoes have nylon or mesh tops, you can spray these shoes with a silicone spray periodically. This will protect the shoes from accumulating dirt, and also will make your shoes water resistant in a way.
- If the upper of your shoes is made of smooth leather, try using shoe creams or polishes to take care of your shoes. First you should remove dust and all the dirt with a damp cloth. Wait when the shoes are dry, never polish wet shoes.
- If the upper of your shoes is made of suede leather, make a habit of regular usage of a soft brush to keep suede free from dust. When your shoes are dry, clean the top with a dry rubber sponge or soft brush to brush away any clinging dirt. It there are stubborn stains, remove them with commercial stain remover for suede. Do not immerse suede shoes in water.
- All other types of shoes (or very dirty shoes) may be hand washed in cold water with a mild detergent.
How to hand wash your shoes
In a large bowl mix cold water with fabric detergent (approximately 4 cups of water and 1tsp of detergent). Preferably use mild fabric detergent.
- First, clean the plastic bottom of the shoes, including the sides of the bottom. You may use a toothbrush to clean the grooves. If the water becomes too dirty, you might consider of making another mix of water and detergent.
- Remove the shoelaces and the inserts.
- Pull out the tongue (did you do it again? Not your tongue! The tongue of the shoes.)
- Wash the shoe laces, squeeze to remove excess water and hang them to dry.
- Wet a soft brush or a small soft rug in the water/detergent. Tap the brush, or squeeze the rug to remove excess water. Gently clean the upper of the shoe. Clean the tongue of the shoe. Repeat until the upper of the shoe is clean. Spot clean any areas that require additional cleaning.
- Clean the inserts the same way.
- Wipe the shoes with paper towels.
- Stuff the shoes with paper towels to preserve their shape.
- Put the shows on a waterproof surface to dry and replace the paper towels when soaked.
- Never put the shoes to dry under direct sun.
- Put inserts and laces back to shoes when all the parts are completely dry.
- Sprinkle some baking soda inside the shoes; it will keep them smell fresh.
Never put your shoes to a drying machine
Whatever method of cleaning your shoes you will choose, you should never put them into a drying machine. It might melt some material used to make soles of your shoes.
The best way to keep your shoes longer is to clean them on a regular basis to prevent dirt built up. Wipe your shoes with a wet cloth often, brush dry dirt off your shoes.
Take care of your shoes regularly and you won't have to heavy wash them!
ReuVera's other "shoes" hubs
- Five Finger Shoes- a Joke, or a Health Benefit for You? Vibram Five Finger Shoes Review.
Vibram Five Fingers Shoes? What's this? Vibram Five Finger Shoes are not new in the market. Maybe they are just not marketed enough. Maybe we just dont see them around too often. But they are not...
- How to Choose Cool and Comfortable Summer Sandals Online- Teva Sandals
It is a wild known fact already, that I love shoes. This is my weak point and I shout about it on every corner. Now summer is here and it is time to switch to sandals and flip-flops, but oops I have...
- Skechers are more than just Shape-Up shoes.
One of Christina Aguilera's sexy adds for Skechers When we read shopping we mostly mean women. It is agreed long ago that shopping is the best therapy for depression, distress and blue mood. Even...
More by this Author
Now summer is here and it is time to switch to sandals and flip-flops. So, girls (and boys), let’s go shopping with me online!
Inkkas shoes made with tapestry-like tops are the last wave in a world of shoe fashion. Besides Inkkas shoes are unique, they also help to make the world better. Check an Inkkas sizing chart for info.
I think this picture was taken around the time when Reuven wrote his essay (in 2005) While I was cleaning my files in the computer, I found this essay that my son Reuven wrote when he was a Sophomore in High School....