Silicone Filled Gold Jewelry - And Pink, And Rose, And Black, And Green....
Gold is considered one of the most durable, long-lasting elements that have stood the test of time.
Even ancient civilizations in Egypt, South America, and Ophir: which is a region in the bible known for its wealth; knew the value of this metal and are famously known today for their wealth in gold.
However, for those of us that can't afford solid gold jewelry pieces, certain manufactures have now come up with a great idea to keep hollow, lightweight gold accessories more durable and less likely to dent or break down.
* Tubing, Tubing, And More Tubing.
Essentially, tubing is a technique used in creating lightweight, hollow pieces of gold jewelry.
The only drawback with this technique however, is the possibility of dents or abrasions that could ruin your accessory pieces.
To combat this problem, the hollow center is filled with a tested and patented silicone that prevents nicks, dents, and abrasions from occurring in any event the jewelry piece is dropped, or banged against a hard surface.
It's the perfect solution for the jewelry wearing mother with young kids, the hardworking man or woman who works exclusively with their hands, or the individual who's simply rough on their jewelry.
Unfortunately, this concept is fairly new, so finding a silicone filled jewelry piece may pose somewhat of a challenge.
* Rose and Pink and Green Gold - Oh My!
In addition to finding new ways to make hollowed gold jewelry more durable, new ways have been found to make gold more appealing to the masses by way of vibrant colors.
Contrary to the gold of the past, the gold of today comes in a variety of colors such as yellow gold, white gold, as well as green, black, rose and pink.
How are these colors achieved? It's all due to the strategic workings of metallurgist mixing metals to achieve the desired looks.
Take rose, pink, green and black gold alloy for Instance:
- Rose and pink gold is a result of an increase of copper mixed with gold - the more copper you use, the deeper the rose or pink.
- Green gold is a result of adding silver to gold.
- Black gold is a result of a mixing of yellow, pink, rose, and green gold alloys.
With such a variety of colors available in gold today, it should be fairly easy for anyone to find a piece that fits their personal style and preference.
* Some Things You Might Not Have Known About Gold.
Mankind's fascination and love affair with gold has gone on for centuries. Some have literally given their lives for the pursuit of it.
Here are some interesting gold facts for your reading pleasure:
- The Pharaohs of ancient Egypt recognized that gold was resistant to corrosion, and therefore fashioned their death mask from it.
- Gold is highly resistant to bacteria, that is why dentist use it in replacing damaged or decaying teeth.
- For over hundreds of years, South Africa has been the world's leading gold producer.
- Gold retains its luster because water and air do not affect it.
- On rare occasions, gold can be found in sheets or veins wedged between layers of quartz. This type of discovered gold is known as reef gold.
- The largest gold nugget ever found, was found in Victoria, Australia. It weighed about 150 lbs [70kg], and was called the Welcome Stranger.
- Today, gold nuggets are far more rare than gem-quality diamonds.
- Australia is the home of big nuggets, 23 out of the 25 largest nuggets have been found there.
- Gold has been found to be very useful and ideal material in surgical implants such as medical stents.
Gold has truly proven to be a durable, versatile, and highly desirable metal.
Men have fought and died over it, women relish it, and it was once considered the number one commodity for trade and bargaining.
It's no wonder then, that improvements are constantly being made (by way of jewelry lines) to keep the appeal alive and strong.
copywrite © 2010
More by this Author
Public Domain It is another hot and humid night in the state of Georgia , and as I sit before a hot computer; under a hot lamp; I am amazingly cool due to my new Handy Cooler™/Personal Evaporative Cooling Fan . ...
- 9Georgia Cyber Academy Review - A Learning Coaches Take On A Tuition Free Online Public School Program
public domain Before the invention of brick and mortar schools, home schooling has been the major method of educating our children. Granted, in earlier times this form of education took on a less academic scale for...
Since we are a one income family of four, I am constantly on the look out for fun and exciting ways to entertain my two toddlers on a budget. While our idea of fun usually entails spending time in our local parks or...