Silk Scarves and Shawls as Sarongs
A common item of clothing worn by men and women around the world is the sarong. This simple and versatile piece of cloth has been in existence and use for centuries. It has proven its effectiveness in helping individuals keep cool in the hottest climates. Moreover, its adaptability makes it useful for many diverse occasions.
It retains its usefulness in modern times. It has even become a type of fashion statement. While women have embraced the sarong, it has also seen its fair share of modern male wearers. Several years ago, famed footballer, David Beckham, was photographed wearing one. His multitude of male and female fans soon followed his lead, creating a new fad.
David Beckham in a sarong
How To Wear A Sarong
While the ways a man can wear a sarong are limited, this does not hold true for women. These versatile and striking silk scarves and shawls achieve the sarong look through a variety of different placements and knotting. Try the ones provided below to realize very different looks.
David Beckham sported his sarong around the waist. If you wish to mimic this style, take the silk material, wrap it around your waist and tie the uppermost corners firmly together. This is the simplest way. There are variations on this theme.
- Use a smaller scarf. It will allow you to reveal more leg
- Use more fabric and wrap it around twice. This creates a lengthier skirt
- Be daring and use a large square piece of silk. Fold it in half diagonally, drape it around your hips and tie it at the side. This is perfect to wear over a bikini
There is no need to be restrictive in your use of the silk scarf. If you wish, you can use it to conceal the top of your swimsuit or body. Simply take the superb fabric and make it into a dress. The material drapes with exquisitely showing off the natural curves of a body. Using it in this fashion also allows you to show off the stunning hand painted designs to their best advantage.
If you want to create a sarong-style dress, adopt any of the following methods:
- Wrap the fabric above your bust line. Tie the two opposite corners together at the side.
- Take the fabric of the silk scarf or shawl. Hold it in place beneath your armpits. Draw the topmost corners of the scarf or shawl together at the front. Wrap these sections over and under each other until the fabric feels tight without being uncomfortable. Finally, grab both corners, raise them up behind your back and tie firmly in place.
- Create a an eye-catching off-the-shoulder sarong by placing and holding the top edge corners of the silk shawl or scarf in place over the shoulder of choice. Be sure to allow enough fabric to knot it later. Wrap the rest of the fabric firmly or loosely around your body above your bust line. Do so until the other top corner returns to the rear of your shoulder. Tie it.
Visit WomenClothingToday.com to browse a gorgeous collection of scarves and shawls.
- Scarves and Shawls
Scarves and Shawls you'll love! With a gorgeous silk and pashmina scarves and shawls you can look beautiful anywhere, anytime you go for very little money.
Other relevant hubs
- Celebrities look Glamorous in Sarongs
Celebs look glamorous at the beach & pool in sarongs
- How to tie a sarong
Let's face it, the sarong can be a confusing item. I have had many wardrobe malfunctions wearing one, most of the time it would come loose and drop to the ground. Not a very
- Feminine Sarong Dresses For Men
I have a confession to make. The sarong isn't even really technically a dress. It's probably more of a skirt, but it's not really a skirt either. It's more just a big piece of fabric that you wrap around...
- How to Care for Your Hand Painted Silk Scarf or Hand...
When considering purchasing silk, many people are misled. They mistake the fineness and ethereal quality of the item for fragility. They see costly elegance and impractical expense. They also believe...
- How to Wear a Sarong
The sarong, as its most commonly known here in Southern California, is a large sheet of fabric that can be wrapped and tied around the body in numerous ways. Commonly sold as a simple beach cover-up in the...
This hub brought to you...
by Julie-Ann Amos, professional writer, and owner of international writing agency www.ExquisiteWriting.com
Why not create your own HubPages? It's fun and you can make revenue from Adsense and other revenue streams on your pages. JOIN HUBPAGES NOW
This work is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to CreativeCommons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California94105, USA.
More by this Author
Undergarment fashions have traveled a long way since their introduction in the 18th century. Nylon panties are one in a long line of gradual improvements. While nylon still acts as fishing lines, today, someone...
Popular Pubic Hair Styles as a hub went only so far... it focussed on the Ladygardeners among us. BUT... "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do," they say – and that used to be a simple motto to...
Jamie Oliver – also known as the ‘Naked Chef’, Jamie Oliver is a very popular television celebrity known for cooking and absolutely nothing with being nude. He didn’t even agree with the title of...