How to Reduce Scars: Some Effective Methods and Home Treatments
Reduce Scars Safely and Naturally
Being left with a scar after a wound or injury can be an unpleasant reminder of a painful experience. Even milder skin trauma such as acne or chicken pox can leave behind scars for many years. In fact, the most common scars are acne scars, attacking about 60 percent of people of any age. It's perfectly natural for the skin to leave behind a scar after some sort of skin trauma, as the irritated skin and broken blood vessels repair themselves. Fortunately, many treatments have been developed over the years to help reduce scars and so here are some methods that you could try.
Always Protect Your Skin
First, always wear sunscreen when outdoors. Scars will burn easily outside if not protected safely. If you do not wear sunscreen, then the scar has the capability to become much darker than your actual complexion.
Best Treatment for Acne Scars
The main scars associated with acne are thought to be caused by picking or squeezing at the spots, because the skin pits and creates a scar. One of the most effective way to reduce scars of this nature is to buy a natural or specially formulated over-the-counter treatment. Aloe Vera gel and hydrocortisone cream are two products that go a long way towards easing the redness and itching associated with scarring of the skin.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is excellent for soothing and repairing the skin, and is especially effective in reducing acne scars. Most stores will carry Aloe Vera lotion in the pharmacy section.
- Hydrocortisone: If you choose to use a hydrocortisone lotion, do be careful. Using too much can end up damaging and thinning your skin or making your scar worse. If your acne scars are particularly severe then you should check your physician before using hydrocortisone cream.
Scar Home Treatment
Fortunately, there are many natural ways to reduce and even eliminate acne scars, and most of them are at home treatments.
- Baking Soda: You can try a baking soda exfoliation treatment, where you use baking soda and water, mixing it into a thick paste. Wet your face and put on the mixture, leaving it on for about 30 seconds, then rinse off with warm water immediately.
- Fruit Acid: Fruit mixes, such as lemon juice and pineapple smoothies will add natural fruit acid to your skin, making the scars less irritated and red. Fruit acids, such as ascorbic acid found in pineapples, operate like a mild microderm abrasion, sloughing the top layer of skin to encourage new skin growth.
- Natural Oils: Give yourself a facial massage with jojoba, almond, and olive oils, on a daily basis. These oils will assist in the healing process by calming redness and inflammation. Coat the face entirely using circular motions to stimulate the circulation and encourage the removal of waste products stored underneath the skin.
- Sea Salt: One other treatment for the healing of acne scars can be a light exfoliating lotion of dead sea salt and water. Simply rub it on, massaging in light circles around your T zone (from forehead to chin and across your cheeks). Do it right, and you will start to feel the top layer of skin rub off, creating a smooth layer of new skin cells on your face.
Most scars take about 7 months to a year to properly heal, depending on the severity, so be patient and use precaution when applying these treatments. However, using some of these methods should go a long way to helping reduce scars effectively, and safely.
- Scar Tissue and Scars - Formation, Problems and Trea...
Scar tissue can form on or in our body when it’s injured. A scar is scar tissue on the skin. There are ways to reduce and sometimes remove scar tissue.
- Your Skin and Vitamin E: Does Vitamin E Heal Scars?
One of the most touted home scar removal remedies and acne scar treatments is vitamin E, with recommendations from slathering the oil on a healing wound, popping open a supplement capsule and coating an existing scar, or slathering traumatized...
- How to Get Rid of Acne and Acne Scars Fast. Cure you...
It's so simple to get rid of acne and acne scars, but people are just following the wrong routines. Get rid of acne naturally, buy using health supplements or by taking medication. Get rid of acne by making just a few slight changes in your everyday
- Tummy Tuck Scars-How to Reduce and Conceal the Appea...
Tummy tuck scars (medically known as abdominoplasty scars) are one of the unfortunate downsides of having abdominoplasty surgery. However, it is a necessary evil and trade off for that fabulous flat stomach...
- Quick Relief from Mosquito & Other Bug Bites
I love summertime! But one thing I could definitely do without at this time of year is mosquitoes. Mosquito bites can cause a great deal of irritation, especially if (like me) you have super-sensitive skin. Scratching a mosquito bite will almost...
More by this Author
This season, check out the hottest trends in wide belts for women, how to choose and wear a wide belt and how to instantly transform your figure and look slimmer! Check out all the most flattering styles and hottest...
Purple Shampoo is an excellent color-refresher for highlighted hair, bleached or natural blonde hair or even for grey hair. Learn how Purple shampoo brightens up brassy, dull hair and find out which are the best...
Learn how to easily identify and fix problems with your bathtub drain stopper. Avoid paying expensive service fees to call out a plumber! Follow these instructions to find out how to unclog a bathtub drain or, if...