10 Reasons Natural Hair Is Better Than Relaxed
1. Natural hair is healthier than relaxed hair. Relaxers damage the hair shaft. The very chemicals that straighten hair causes irreparable damage. Relaxers leave hair weak and brittle. The hair looks sleek and straight immediately after treatment. But as the days go on relaxed hair will break and split. This is especially prevalent along the hairline. Relaxers also can cause chemical burns to the scalp. I know of many women who have developed permanent bald spots. Relaxers can permanently damage your scalp.
2. Naturally curly’s don’t have to run from the rain. When you embrace your natural curls, you won’t be as worried about frizz. Moisture is the best thing for your natural tresses. Rain and humidity will become your best friends when you learn to appreciate your curls. Spritzing your hair with water daily will prevent it from drying out.
3. Abandoning relaxers will give you a new love for your hair. You will be able to discover the unique beauty in your hair. Everyone’s is different. Appreciating the beauty of your natural hair is a big step in self acceptance. I always say embrace the fro. Newly naturals may struggle to accept their natural tresses initially. But stick with it. Surround your self with other natural sisters. This helped me a lot when I first went natural. There compliments and encouragement helped me greatly.
4. You can be wildly creative with natural hair. Straightened or relaxed hair can be boring. there is not much else you can do with it besides wearing it down or putting it in a ponytail. Natural hair can be styled in so many unique ways. If you’re an artist at heart than you will enjoy rocking your natural doo. Natural black hair can be worn in: two- strand twists, pony puff, braids, Bantu knot outs, dread locks, and any style you can think up
5.natural hair is unique. Most African American women relax their hair. In a nation where conformity is the norm, wearing natural hair will set you apart. I don’t know too many black women who wear natural hair.
6.naturals are a role model to other black women. Natural hair communicates self- acceptance. Something that many women don’t have. Western women spend a lot of money modifying there appearance. There is a lot pressure to conform especially on black women. Women who are comfortable with the hair they were born with is empowering.
7.you can save a lot of money by ditching the relaxer. Going to the salon can save your bank account. a lot of people believe that going natural is expensive. It actually pretty inexpensive. I spend $15 on haircuts. This is a lot cheaper than the weekly maintenance of relaxed hair.
8. Natural hair is beautiful. Since I’ve gone natural I have learned to appreciate the beauty of black hair. Black hair can range from soft spongy coils to bouncy spirals. Some people even have two or more curl patterns in their hair. I’ve never seen a natural with ugly hair. The only ugly hair is damaged hair. Most naturals have well maintained hair.
9. Natural hair styles are easier to maintain than relaxed. Since I’ve gone natural, I save a lot of time getting ready in the morning. I can actually wear wash and go hairstyles.
10. Natural hair is in. Ten years ago it seemed like everyone had relaxers, but things are changing. Natural hair is starting to get trendy. I’m starting to see more and more celebrities going natural. This is a good thing because a lot of young girls look to them as beauty role models.
More hubs about natural hair
- The best natural products for African American hair
African American hair tends to be very dry, and is often very fragile. Black hair can shape into random spirals, coils and zigzags. Because of the tight curl pattern, scalp oil cant reach the ends of hair....
- Natural African American Hair Care Tips
So you decided to ditch the relaxers in favor of a delightfully curly doo. Here are some natural care tips that are simple yet effective at keeping your natural tresses Healthy. Wash your hair ladies!...
- Color your hair naturally with henna: easy recipe
What is Henna? Henna (Lawsonia Inermis) has been used been used historically for body art, dyeing fabrics, and coloring hair. The henna plant is native to Asia and Africa. Henna leaves produce a red...
More by this Author
Most of us have had our run-ins with a few crazy members of society. But what happens when these “crazies” live next door. I have compiled a list of obvious signs that your neighbor has gone off the deep...
Newfoundland dogs are the best dogs in the world. The Newfoundland is known as the “Gentle Giant” in the dog world. They have the sweetest temperament and make the best family dogs. Their large...
African American hair is beautiful. It comes in so many curl patterns and textures. It can be soft and spongy or curly and bouncy, the very thing that makes African American hair beautiful also makes it very fragile....