Umbrella Tattoo Designs, Meanings, and Ideas
Learn about the umbrella tattoo design, its variations, meanings, and view a variety of them. In the end, we hope that you are able to find ideas and inspiration for your next tattoo.
The umbrella design could portray a number of symbols, including the global symbol of "protection." We use the umbrella for a variety of reasons, mainly for shelter and shade.
It can be coupled with many different associations as well. From insurance to Mary Poppins, it's more then a small shelter from the rain. However, rain is one of the most popular images to couple with the umbrella, for obvious reasons. The design might also have quotes that are associated with rain, such as "Bring on the rain" or "When it rains, it pours."
Of course, it can also just be decorative.
- The umbrella can be designed with the rain, sun, moon, flowers, fairies, geisha, and with the pinup girl.
- They may also be designed with stars, birds, clocks, cats, or other animals. It is a universal symbol that can nearly be portrayed with anything.
- One design that is popular is when it's coupled with an eye (see below).
- You may want an umbrella with dots, circles, or stripes. You can choose any color as well.
- See below for a photo of a dandelion flower as an umbrella. This is a great example of how the umbrella can be creatively used.
There are more then fifty designs in this article. Taking the time to view them all can help you find ideas for your own. Plus, this will give you a general idea of what variations are available.
Since the umbrella has symbolic value, you may feel that these meanings reflect on you as a person. Remember, in the end, your umbrella tattoo represents what you want it too. Below are a few popular meanings:
The umbrella can be portrayed alone, with a person, or even with an animal. The options are limitless, if you think about it. It can even be seen as a fantasy tattoo because you can incorporate majestic animals with it.
Some other ideas:
- Lightning and clouds in the background.
- Add artistic art and trail ink to portray wind.
- Have a name designed on it (a great idea for those with children).
- Cupcakes, ice cream, and other whimsical looking sweets.
Have ideas of your own? Be sure to share them below.
Thanks for visiting!
More by this Author
Considering a sun tattoo? This article, which details the history, design, and meaning of the sun tattoo, will help you decide, with sun-and-moon tattoos, tribal, Celtic design, and many photos.
Considering getting a dragon tattoo? Read on for in-depth discussion of the meaning and symbolism of a dragon tattoo, including Chinese and Japanese designs, with many photos.
Kissing is part of everyday life, but it is also a powerful gesture of love, friendship, and desire. If you dream about kissing someone, the dreams meaning depends upon who you kiss, and where.