Wake up Beautiful:Free Natural Beauty Tips that Work While you Sleep
Sleeping for Beauty?
Beauty Sleep Tips
And you thought sleeping beauty had it easy? Not a chance. Especially back in the day when Sephora didn't think of everything for you. With that in mind, we will try to keep this simple so that you can incorporate these tips into your existing bedtime regime. Everyone has a different set of "issues" so don't be afraid to experiment or alter this routine, so you have your very own personalized "to-dos" before bedtime.
1. Always wash off all of your make up before bed! How many times have we all heard that one? An inexpensive, gentle eye make up remover for even the most stubborn mascara is baby shampoo diluted with a bit of water. Use a wash cloth to gently remove, not Kleenex or toilet paper that will break apart and leave residue on and underneath delicate eye skin cells. I take old washcloths or even my son's old baby towels and cut them into strips. One for each night now, otherwise you can inadvertently add harmful bacteria back onto your clean skin. Once or Twice a week remember to exfoliate dead skin cells that dull your complexion. You can use sugar mixed with a few drops of water or almond oil, oatmeal mixed with lemon juice for oilier skin, or your favorite mask, to do the job gently without over scrubbing and breaking capillaries. Your skin should feel smooth afterward, not tight.
2. Tone your skin after cleansing and then apply your favorite moisturizer. Years of testing hundreds of skin care products has shown me that a hefty price tag does not necessarily give you preferred results. I actually use rose water or witch hazel as my toner and an inexpensive Aveno moisturizer that was recommended by a dermatologist. For cleansing I like Cetaphil because you can also use for so many other things, make-up removal, shaving light moisturizing, etc. Here is a great recipe for home made Rose Water!
3. Dry hair? Assuming that you will have time to wash in the morning, apply a good conditioner or natural moisturizer like mayonnaise, almond oil or olive oil before you retire, then pile hair on top of head and cover with a plastic bag, secured with a few clips. I also wrap with a terrycloth turban for extra protection! While you sleep, your brittle ends are soaking up the moisture from your conditioning treatment. Wash & rinse well in the morning, and brew a cup of chamomile tea to use as your final rinse. I always add a few sprigs of mint to wake me up and stimulate scalp! The chamomile will bring out blond highlights, even on darker hair. If you prefer to focus on those darker strands, make it black coffee instead of tea. Just brew a little extra, drink a cup and save the rest for your hair! Leave on for a few minutes then rinse again.
3. Sleep on your back! It is a proven fact that more wrinkles appear on the side of the face that we sleep on. Another thing that can work wonders for smooth skin and hair is sleeping on a satiny pillow case, you know the kind I mean, your head kind of slides off, so make sure the pillow inside is cushy not stiff, so your head is cradled and supported. All natural or organic fibers are definitely the way to go, a pillow made of wool, cotton and/or latex fibers works wonders, especially if you think you have allergies!
4. Use a pillow ensemble that raises your head slightly to elevate your head and avoid puffiness! It's the same concept used when we injure any part of our body and the Doctor tells us to elevate injury area above the heart to promote circulation and reduce swelling.
5. Last but not least by any means, think positive and tranquil thoughts before you go to sleep. Practice relaxation techniques that allow you to fall asleep naturally and in a good frame of mind so that when you wake up, you are more focused and ready to go! If something is causing you stress, keep a pad of paper by your bed to write it down so you are more apt to let it go now and take care of it in the morning. A lack of sleep does not allow you to look or feel your best - they go hand in hand.
Read my Hubs on Sleep if you are having trouble getting that restorative beauty rest that you need to look and feel great!
More by this Author
The appeal of the undergarment has not diminished over the years, in fact lingerie has inspired more than a few outer garments, leaving little for the imagination but the freedom of personal choice!
True Beauty is but a light in the heart, as we labor tirelessly to appear younger, thinner or the latest version of "hot" the real focus should point elsewhere perhaps - otherwise the journey is fruitless,...
Although these have to be one of the cutest little lion cubs I have ever seen, they are also viewed by some as magical and quite regal, worthy of worship. Perhaps this accounts for their hefty $138,000 price tag!