What It's Like to Be a Tall Woman
Curious are you? I see all you shorties trying to hide the fact that you're staring at me as I walk in my wedges through the store. I'm only 5'10", still within the normal range of height and yet the victim of your constant stares and whispers. Stay awhile and I'll let you know some truths, myths and other interesting things from the life of a tall woman.
Height is one of the few physical characteristics that science hasn’t figured out how to manipulate—yet. The average woman in American is somewhere between 5’2”-5’6”. The typical American man is approximately 5’10”. I stand at about 5’10”. Believe it or not, I’m about to be shortest in my immediate family. My youngest child is dead even with me at age 14! My other three have already passed me. When I’m with them, I feel “normal.” When I go out into the world, I stick out—and I’m not even that tall!!
According to the website Yougov, the perfect height for women is 5’6”. Being a bit over the average 5'4" is a good thing, according to their research, as long as you don’t cross over the 6’ mark. Only 9% of the men surveyed think that no tall is too tall. Those are some slim odds.
The average American woman stands around 5'4". The average man is somewhere around 5'11--too short for me to consider. What if I want to wear heels?
Ever been to a nail salon with a tall woman? We all know the best nail techs are Asian and these Asians are typically tiny. I feel like a giant compared to them! They try not to stare. The brave ones talk to me about my height. And, of course, they're not used to seeing such big feet on a woman. It's hard to feel feminine in a place like that.
How Tall Are Your Favorite Celebrities?
Truths About Being Tall
- It narrows the dating field way down. This is a very good thing. So many times a guy would be interested in me but I wouldn’t be interested in him. My excuse of height was my typical reason.
- We all want a man who is bigger and stronger. This includes when I wear heals.
- It makes for great conversation at a party. Every time I wear heels to a party, we inevitably spend 20 minutes discussing my height.
- You can see and breathe in a crowd. This is one of the best times to be tall. I’m claustrophobic so big crowds would make me crazy if I was a shrimp.
- I can gain 20 pounds and still wear the same size clothes as before. Five pounds on a petite woman are evident to all. Sorry.
- You stand out, like it or not. Good luck trying to blend into a crowd.
- If you wear heels, people secretly stare. Sometimes they openly stare. Many times they ask how tall you are. Thanks for stating the obvious.
- Airplane seats are uncomfortable. Who wants to have their knees crunched for hours?
One more piece of good news: USA Today reported in 2013 that for every inch above the normal height, a woman’s chances of developing cancer increases by 13%. Yeah.
- You should model. Not all of us are model material.
- Clothes fit better. Hah! Do you know how hard it is for me to find a pair of pants that are long enough? I have to deal with long legs and a Kardashianesque backside!
- Women’s shoes. They are NOT your friend. Your choices are flats or stilettos. Big people wear big sizes. Very small selection of size 11s for my girls. I would have thought the cross-dressers would cause stores to beef up supply.
- You're lucky to be tall. It grows on you.
- On the tennis court, it IS possible to lob over my head. Darnit.
Size Does Matter
I can’t believe it. I found an article that backs up what I’ve been thinking a feeling for decades. The Daily Mail shared some scientific research that if women want to feel more protected, find a man who’s taller that they are. Duh. They say women are more concerned about height than men. Sorry if you’re a petite man. We feel more feminine and better protected. For me, knowing that my husband can and would defend my honor in a second is quite sexy.
Haven't we evolved as a society? We're in an era of strong women. All the research I have found says just the opposite.
More by this Author
How do you know which beauty article to believe when it comes to choosing anti-wrinkle products? Read more in this product review of Stivectin-SD and Origns Skincare including Plantscription.
A detailed guide of how to fool them all. If you don't tell, I won't either.
It's the event before the big event...gender reveal parties are what's trending. There's no better way to allow friends and family be a part of special time of life! Learn how to throw one here...