What To Do After Cosmetic Surgery....Post Op Instruction...Laser Skin Resurfacing
This is a continuation of a series of articles dealing with Cosmetic Surgery, precisely post op instructions. This particular article is dealing with the post operative instructions for Laser Skin Resurfacing.
Just a little about this procedure. Laser Skin Resurfacing is one of the most popular anti-aging remedies. This procedure improves the appearance of fine lines or wrinkles, scars and discolored areas of the skin, (hyperpigmentation), which occurs primarily around the mouth and eyes. However, it can be used for large areas of the face.
Immediately After Surgery
- You will be asked to keep the treated area moist with a petroleum based ointment, such as Aquaphor, reapplying as needed.
- Take the entire course of antibiotics, (such as Cipro), antiviral, (such as Valtrex), and antifungal, (such as Diflucan).
- Limit any activity that would cause any stress or stain to the head/facial are i.e. heavy lifting, pulling, or pushing.
- Use provided daily cleanser to clean treated area(s).
- Take extra care when the treated area so as not to rub off the crust formation, as this can cause bleeding and scarring.
- Diluted vinegar soaks to treated area(s) may be ordered, if so apply diluted vinegar soaked gauze 3 times a day.
- Makeup can be applied after all the crusting has resolved, usually after 7-10 days. Use natural mineral make-up to minimize risk of infection and reaction to the newly exposed skin.
- Avoid sun exposure in the early postoperative period. Excessive sun exposure during the time could cause changes in the pigment. When the crusting dissipates you will need to use sunscreen daily for the first few months.
You Can Expect
- These are things you can expect Post op for Laser Skin Resurfacing.
- Crusting and itching. The crusting that occurs is expected, do not remove. It will gradually fall off over 7-10 day period. Itching is a normal sign of healing, but if it's intolerable, oral Benedryl may be used according manufacturer's instructions.
- As the old skin peels away, skin with a brighter pink color will appear. This is healthy new skin and can have the appearance of red sunburned skin. Do not be alarmed. This color is normal and usually fades after about 2-4 weeks. Make-up can be worn once the new skin has formed.
Call The Office If You Experience
- Severe pain not responding to the pain medication(s).
- A rash, small blisters, or the surrounding area, (untreated area) becomes red
- A fever ( temp. 100.4)
As was stated this is from the prospective of someone that actually works for a doctor that practices Cosmetic Surgery. Of course your doctor will give you specific Post Op instructions for Laser Skin Resurfacing, and these are to be followed to the letter. This can simply serve as a backup plan.
DO NOT SMOKE! SMOKING INCREASES THE RISK OF COMPLICATIONS AND DELAY THE HEALING PROCESS.
- What To Do After Cosmetic Surgery....Post Op Instruction...Liposuction
Liposuction, is one of the fastest growing forms of Cosmetic Surgery. Have you notice all of Hollywood has flat tummys? Well that's obtained largely through this form of surgery. So let's get to those...
- What To Do After Cosmetic Surgery....Post Op Instructions...Breast Augmentation
I don't know what the statistics are on breast augmentation. But I would venture to say they could quite possibly be the most altered part of the female anatomy. In this section I will provide post op...
Now that you've got that new nose, you want to know what to do during the healing process. Well read on. Keep head elevated while at rest, sleep with about 2 pillows. Avoid straining or...
- What To Do After Cosmetic Surgery.....Post-Op Instruction...Facelift
With all the recent publicity surrounding the Hollywood celebrities and their foray into the world of the "New Me," I guess it's inevitable that articles pertaining to it will abound, so I guess I'll jump...
- What To Do After Cosmetic Surgery....Post Op Instruction...Brachioplasty (upper armlift)
This is a continuation of my series of Post Operative Instructions for Cosmetic Surgery. These particular instructions are pertaining to Upper Arm correction surgery. This type of surgery is usually...
More by this Author
"I can never do anything right." Is that how you feel, or, is that what you're always told? Does it seem that every endeavor you attempt, falls far short of it's intended goal?
One of our all time favorite comedians, Sinbad.
Have you ever wondered who your elders are, and what they have to offer? Well read on and see just who they could be and what advice they might have to offer.