How To Wear A Button Down Shirt
If you want to know how to wear a button down shirt without looking as though you're about to enter a corperate meeting - or worse, a funeral, read on.
If, on the other hand, you do wish to look either mournful or hot to trot, you're all set.
But - many do want to know how to wear a dress shirt that gives different looks, depending on how you wear it or what you wear it with.
Normally viewed as formal attire and generally worn by men, a button down shirt can provide stylish and elegant appeal when worn with clothing other than office apparel.
Dig out your old office garb, spice it up and step out looking chic and sassy.
Knowing how to wear a button down shirt may well leave you feeling good and looking great. After all - isn't that what fashion know how is all about?
Button down shirts are a timeless classic and can be worn in a number of different ways. You can opt for the classic admin look - which is incredibly hot and sassy - but you will need to wear it with a little falir in order to avoid looking as though you're on your lunch break from the office.
Oh and this is about casual chic - not corporate geek.
First things first - choose your button down shirt:
- it should fit and flatter - not bag, pull or burst at the seams. Be honest - not hopeful!
- avoid button shirts with silly looking collars. If they look silly on the shirt then ...
- white - or not? That is your choice. The rule of thumb is pick the color/s that suit you, your complexion and personality. Button down shirts come in a wide variety of colors. White is just the most commonly known
- sleeves - should you or shouldn't you? Decide on what you're wearing the shirt for. Short sleeves are summery, cooler and more casual looking. Long sleeves can lend a dramatic edge, though there's always the ability to turn up the cuffs
- long or short? The rule goes like this: if you're wearing a jacket, the shirt shouldn't hang lower than the jacket hem. If not, tunic length is fine
The above are the basic rules to consider when purchasing your shirt. Now let's talk about how to wear a button down shirt!
Button Down Shirt Jeans
A great look is a button down shirt and jeans. There's such a wide variety of shirts to choose from that you shouldn't struggle to find the perfect fit, color and style.
Any of the button down shirts featured to the right are perfect when combined with jeans, flat pumps or similar casual footwear and co-ordinating accessories.
The look is casual chic and easily achievable - and size is not a barrier.
If you're a plus size, choose a shirt that's a little longer - though avoid lengthening your body and shortening your legs by going too long.
Wear a a pair of heels if you need the extra inches or a slimmed down leg - though you could opt for summery wedges over stilettos and platform styles.
Add in a floaty scarf, a gorgeous tote and you're good to go.
Wear A Button Down Shirt
You can wear a button down shirt:
- with a vest over the top
- open, with a matching or completely contrasting (for the really fashion snappy) rockin' it tee underneath
- belt up. A waist cinched in with a fab belt still looks good
- with chunky costume jewelry at the neck and wrists. Bling up a plain colored shirt - accessorize all the way
There are many ways in which to wear these popular dress shirts and you're only limited by your imgination.
They really are incredibly easy to wear and today's trends mean that they're an extremely flexible wardrobe piece.
I have one in white, though mine does come with a little flounce. I'm an undercover dandy and mine is absolutely gorgeous.
I've worn it with jeans as a rule. A pair of flats, a bag and that's it. On occasion I've worn it with a pencil skirt - which works equally as well.
Experiment. You'll be surprised how great you look!
Button Down Blouse
A button down blouse is the same as a button down shirt - pretty much.
There may well be a few more frills, a little more flourish upon the shoulders, an extra dart or two but they really are much of a muchness.
There is a little less structure though the difference is hard to spot. You can use one as the other, each style will look equally as good dressed up or down.
If you specifically want a button down shirt but have spotted what looks to be the perfect match and find that the description describes it as a blouse - buy it anyway.
Chances are only you would know the difference and the point of these shirts is the fact that they're eminently casual yet supremely stylish and elegant.
Button Down Shirt Definition
The definition of a button down shirt is as simple as this:
- button down shirts are shirts with buttons down the front. Full collared and cuffed sleeves. Nothing too complicated, semi-tailored, unfussy, elegant.
There you have it - that's a button down shirt in a nutshell. Now you know what they are, what they look like and how to wear one - what are you waiting for?
More by this Author
How to wear white jeans without looking trashy, cheap or as though you’re trying too hard to be fashionable is easier than it looks. Providing you adhere to a few do’s and don’ts that is.
An astonishing amount of women don’t know how to find the right bra. A one page read for correct bra measuring and correct cup sizing.
The Bengal cat is a wonderful domestic cat. If you're looking for Bengal cat information, you've come to the right place. Here, you'll find free impartial advice from a longtime owner.