How do you choose which necklace to wear?

1. Ps32Love profile image60
    Ps32Loveposted 3 years ago

Having not grown up wearing jewelry, I do not have a clue on how to choose what to wear with what. I know some simple basics, like a short pearl necklace with a rounded collar, but would love some 'big sister' tips on choosing which style necklace to wear with what type of top or neckline, etc.

2. Sunny River profile image84
    Sunny Riverposted 3 years ago

It's important to keep in mind what the style of the overall outfit is. If it's something nice, like a party dress, stick with the pearls. If it's something more casual keep it a little simpler with a basic a single charm necklace.
    Also, it depends on what styles you are most comfortable wearing. For a fun party dress, regardless of neckline, go with pearls, right? The real question is how many? Doing a long strand or two that reach your stomach and layer up is a fun, fashionable way to play on the basic pearl necklace. If you're more the traditional type or aren't comfortable with long necklaces, make it a short strand that rests up around your collar bone.
    For something business casual, you can do the same kind of thing. A couple long strands of layered beads or chains make the outfit more fun and fashionable, but, again, if you are more traditional or don't like long necklaces like that, stick with something shorter like a single chain, either plain or with a charm.
    As far as necklines go, a single charm necklace goes best with a v-neck because they compliment each other. For a square neckline, wear bracelets and longer earrings (with discretion to the outfit style) but don't bother with necklaces for the most part. It's not that square necklines look bad with necklaces, they just aren't complimented well by them, unless it's a shaped necklace that has an angular shape.
    Hope at least some of that helped!

3. Ps32Love profile image60
    Ps32Loveposted 3 years ago

Thank you, Sunny River! That helps, especially about the square neckline. It helps to know that not all necklines necessarily "look good" with a necklace. I've been trying to pay more attention to people wearing necklaces to try to figure out what seems to work and what doesn't. Your insights help. Thanks!