Hair Extensions - what's YOUR story

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Someone I know with fine, blonde hair recently had hair extensions  fitted.

The process involved attaching longer pieces of human hair to the existing hair, by using little copper cylinders that were squashed closed to clamp the hair into place.

The salon promised that they would be undetectable, even when put up into ponytails, etc. And when asked about the fine-ness of the person's hair, the response was "It will be great - you won't be able to see the clamps.".

Well, after the first wash (using expensive lotions and potions as recommended) the hair became pretty ordinary. The clamps  were easily visible on the side of the scalp, and also at the back when it was just hanging normally.

The metal clamps dug in and scratched the scalp while sleeping, and made the skin  red.
    (The salon said that this was 'normal", and would go away soon.)
    Yeah right - I suppose that would be when the whole head was covered in scar tissue! The edges of the metal clamps were fairly sharp - and easily scratched the skin.

Anyway, the extensions were removed after 3 days.
    The salon said that "This has never happened before", and that everyone else was completely happy with the extensions.

This sounds like a load of horsefeathers!

I just wondered if anyone else would like to share any experiences with hair extensions.
    Cheers, Eric G.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear your hair didn't turn out well.  Shoot for the grey next time.  smile

Sorry, I have no experience with extensions...  I've heard good things from a couple of people I know who got them.

1. profile image51
        dockjfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hair Extensions are fine for a limited time.  If you keep them in for an extended period (over 6 months) then you're risking some damage to your scalp and follicles.  So, just be careful and enjoy.  For more info, feel free to click my at (HairClinicUSA.com), or contact me.

Dr. John E Frank, MD

2. nyliram profile image58
      nyliramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have applied hair extensions after doing a Course, it was nothing like you describe. The human hair, which I personally could not stand having attached to my own hair, but thats me, arrives in little clumps or groups, with around 100 hairs in each, they have a bonding agent on them, so to all intensive purposes they look like hair that has been dipped in gold glue.
      In a nutshell you use a  hot clamp to melt the hair onto equal portions of the clients hair,at the base row and upwards depending on the thickness required.  Those copper things are archaic.
      The bonded hair will grow out, and occassionally a bunch will fall out, but they can be re used. (The old copper ones, didn't know they were still about.) I have also done weaving in which the hair is woven into the recipients hair.
      Your friend could have  gone  back to the shop and asked for the correct type. (You can swim with these.)There have been many horror stories re extensions, even some people having  had them sewn in badly. There were lawsuits with this type of work.

3. profile image53
      luscious123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is very easy to use hair extensions.These hair extensions gives you different looks.You use hair extensions when you go for party and shopping.Before you sleep ,you may remove your hair extensions. For this your scalp is not scratched.........

Blonde hair extensions

2. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

I've never gotten them, but have a hairstylist friend who gets them done regularly. Until she told me they were extensions, I had no clue that it wasn't her real hair. They seemed to keep for quite a while, too.

That is my only experience w/ them, hope it is of some help.

3. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Try corn rows instead. They seem to be coming back and you don't have to shampoo as frequently..... Don't know that personally......

4. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I got extensions one time, loved them. They just glued hair on my scalp in sections so you couldnt tell. There wasnt anything sharp used. Weird to me.

5. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

in my book, you do what you think looks best for you. If it is something that makes you feel good, then do it, no matter what others think, as long as it is not a "Donald Trump" dooo...

6. fortunerep profile image68
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

I had the same hair extensions that were glued to the scalp.  I didn't need them I just wanted longer hair. They lasted for a good while but you have to be careful removing them for it will break your natural hair at the root.
    Good LucK

7. kmackey32 profile image64

yep its a glue bud at the hair shaft. who ever did that to your friend did it WRONG

8. apeksha profile image67
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

Never used as I have very healthy hair and volume is also good.

9. kmackey32 profile image64

Well i do to but one time i wanted hair past my butt. LOL

10. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone.

(Except that cheeky wordscribe41 who thought that the hair extensions were done on me!
    Nice try - but no cigar smile )

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you know most celebrities have hair extensions Eric, Pamela Anderson, Elle McPherson, Jessica Simpson. This is one of the most popular ways of doing them these days, I have learned heaps of ways through my hairdressing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJWFl2rBPKI

2. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  smile

11. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Been having hair extensions for years. Works well for me, but only the ones attached to your woven hair, and stitched on the woven hair with discreet threads.
    Great for a different look every 3 months. I find the glue on type too sticky and its to much of a bother to remove the glue completely.

1. utu profile image57
      utuposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My own hair is over 30inches long, so the bottom is thinner, I have glue type extensions put in every 3 months, but my stylist, looks at them each week.
      They are always intact, I have had sewn in and didn't like them, mainly as they were too tight.
      It costs me $1000 for the extensions, I have to replace a couple each month for around $50.00 plus the visit to check them out costs $50.00 thats New zealand though. All up cost for 3 months is around $2000.00 or thereabouts, I am happy and think that the price is good.
      They are dearer in Auckland. Alot of my friends don't like them, as they think I have human hair, actually it is a really good quality synthetic.  I don't think I could handle having someones elses hair on my head.

12. Enelle Lamb profile image72
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

When I apprenticed with a hairdresser, I did a fair amount of hair extensions - never seen metal used - only woven or glue was used - but never EVER say 'glue' to the stylist LOL

13. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

Twenty-five years ago I had a hairstyle like King Elvis in his prime. The problem was that I did not know that you were supposed to apply Brylcreem in small amounts only to wet hair. A large tub of Brylcreem lasted me on average around three days.

When my mother banned Brylcreem, I decided to let my hair grow and never cut it again. At one point, I could almost tuck it in to the waistband of my trousers.

Then I grew out of that and became a, "Skinhead," shaving my head every few days.

Then I grew out of that and adopted a "normal" short back and sides.

The photo to the left was taken in October 2008.

See what messing around with your hair can cause...? smile

14. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 14 years ago

One of the girls on my daughter's school trip to France got extensions right before they left - and set the metal detectors off at the airports! So I guess she got the clamps. My daughter had temporary extensions for the prom, but her's were glued and she washed them out after a couple of days.

15. bbhairextensions profile image60
    bbhairextensionsposted 12 years ago

My friend is suffering with hair fall problem becoz of natural effects. If you have more information to solve the problem than also share i am looking for ........

16. TinkerFairy profile image61
    TinkerFairyposted 12 years ago

I use clip in extensions and they're actually the only ones I try. I have never regretted it since.

17. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

I've never known of a salon using the clip-in type around here.  They all use the glue-in type.  For my daughter we purchased a $100 clip-in set at Sally's Beauty Supply and put them in ourselves just from watching YouTube videos on how to do it.  They work beautifully.  My daughter even dyed them when she changed her hair color.  She was able to style her hair without ever seeing the clips and they were never uncomfortable. 

If I were to guess, I'd say the salon was using a sub-standard product in a sub-standard manner.

18. Simply Natural profile image61
    Simply Naturalposted 12 years ago

I used to wear weave extensions in my hair all the time. I went from glueing them into my hair to sewing them in. Glueing the weave in my hair was the worst thing I could have possibly did to my hair. The glue had my hair in bold spots and very weak. When I start wearing sew-ins my hair start to grow back and become strong and thick again.

19. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Since I am Asian, being part Thai and part Indian... I have simply never used hair extensions. My hair is fine as it is. But I have nothing against a woman wanting to look amazing and so hair extensions have their place in the world, just like lipstick, makeup and everything else a girl uses to look awesome.

The way hair extensions are supposed to work is that no one can detect how they are attached and no one can know it but the woman wearing them. It is weird how extensions could be visible so much to others. It might have simply been a job done poorly...

20. pvss1on profile image60
    pvss1onposted 9 years ago

Celebs use Hair extensions everyday by men and woman from the entertainment industry, so to give extensions a bad name here is just wrong and unfar.

Yes, hair extensions can cause damage if you excessively use them and that's why we must educate ourselves on ways to get that great volume, bounce and healthy hair growth without using without or minimum use of extensions.

Sewins are the best method to get hair extensions, more pricey yes but you will get a better outcome of a quality of results from the sewin method.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)