Why Do Fashion Agencies Like Ugly African Models!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Yep! They always go for this Alek Wek look when it comes to African models. Your average African woman is really beautiful and voluptuous. Why all the ugly skinny chicks - now they have everyone in the world thinking African women are ugly malnourished things! And it isn't that way at all. Those types are but a small fraction!

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

All models look malnourished.  They are meant to be clothes hangers.

1. RooBee profile image82
        RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha clothes hangers. Davina, as usual you have made me smile! I've been teased my whole life for being "too skinny" but love a good "skinny bitch" joke. Somehow, folks aren't so willing to accept "fat jokes" in stride. If we could all laugh at ourselves a bit, man the world would have a lot less drama in it! smile

I did not mean to be offensive to anyone.  I am jealous.  I wish I was naturally thin.  I believe it was Karl Lagerfeld or Versace who said models are just clothes hangers, so they have to be preternaturally thin.

1. Lady_E profile image63
            Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he meant this.  I used this pic sometime last week for Teens about weight issues.

http://blog.theavclub.tv/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/walkingdead-skeletor.jpg

1. profile image0
              fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeeks! Wanna give me nightmares! smile Read my above comment. I'm not stressing on weight. Its the refugee look.

2. Lady_E profile image63

Ugly African Models?  I don't think so. Care to post a pic of one of them?

2. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Sorry but thats true for American women also.  It is a shame that these magazines or whatever think that beauty is being malnourished.

1. profile image0

Yeah but at least they're fine. You've got Heidi Klum, Gisele etc but African models almost always look like Alek Wek. We've got Gisele looking types in Africa as well, you know.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Alek Wek looks fantastic.

Heidi Klum looks like a ventriloquist's dummy. I only know her in German, but she speaks like one, too.

2. Imran Awan profile image57
      Imran Awanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They are the best fashion models and performing well in the show.
      You can also watch these fashion models at here http://fashionsglobe.com/

3. justone331 profile image60
    justone331posted 14 years ago

They're trying to make a statement with unique/ugly looking people..and at the end of the day ugly is still ugly and theres noting they can do to change that...but hey, you cant get mad...ugly people gotta shine to... nice topic

4. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Ugly is such a relative term that it's ridiculous! THANK GOODNESS different folks have different ideas about what is physically desirable.
    It seems as if there's a mass consensus on what's good, society sets out to undermine that group by accusing them of being false or generic.
    I'm blond and thin. Certainly no super model by any stretch of the imagination. But, I have received mad crazy flack from total strangers accusing me of everything from practicing bulemia to having surgery. None of it is true, but it doesn't hurt my feelings at all.
    Seems we only call others ugly or fake when we're feeling not-so-hot ourselves.
    CJ, I hear you man but I don't think the fashion industry will ever provide an accurate representation of any cultural group because A) there isn't ONE way to represent an entire country's population and B) they are selling an image or ideal, not reality.
    You always have such provocative posts. They are really growing on me!

1. profile image0

Thanks Roobee. My problem is, people see models as epitomes of beauty. So if these ugly african models are used, people tend to think that's what Africa has to offer. And it isn't that way at all. At all. smile

I see your point, Fiery One. True, they seem to fit more what the Western culture wants the African woman to look like. We can't have them outshining our models, can we? wink

1. profile image0

Exactimo gurl. I mean everytime an african woman is depicted whether its in a movie, music video or ad its always that ugly skinny girl image, and always charcoal black. I mean who's like that. They gotta be real, African women are gorgeous.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But its that way for every country Cj ,not just Africa

Personally I think the real beauty is on the inside and when someone is beautiful on the outside as well they are simply irresistable!

2. profile image0
      MistHavenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing else needs to be said, lol. You can't really look towards fashion models as symbols of beauty because high fashion is an industry; whatever sells it whatever works.

5. justone331 profile image60
    justone331posted 14 years ago

If your ugly you should be happy and proud to be ugly...You should go outside and scream to the world "Im Ugly and Proud" and then go get you a ugly wife and have some ugly kids...and just be ugly

1. nikitasnow2 profile image61
      nikitasnow2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

justone your so funny
      But i think ugly is not really the name, i mean imagine if you are one of those models. I am sure they do not really have it easy sturving themselves, but all the same, it is the fashion world, and unless you have a really good pocket to change how it looks then, you just have to bear it.

2. profile image0

Well I'm not ugly...but ha ha ha ha ha you're a funny guy. Loved your Michael Jackson hub. Hilarious lol

3. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Nothing like having goals in life!"

6. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I see a lot of the top models in the US and Australia and I think they're far too skinny and unattractive. So I don't think it's *just* confined to Africa.

Sure, there are some stand outs. But they're supermodels with a track record of longevity.

And models need to be more than a pretty face. It doesn't seem like they do much, but strutting down a catwalk and striking poses for hours in front of a camera isn't something that comes easily for most of the population.

And I checked out Alek Wek. Ugly? What the!? Not every photo I found appealing but she's not what I'd call ugly.

7. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Ever since Twiggy arrived in the 1960's models (for the most part) have been ultra thin.  It is the clothes hanger thing, and it also who chooses to pursue a career in modeling.  Most 'average' girls wouldn't think to enter the field, but a tall skinny girl knows she stands a chance, even if she is not what one would call pretty. 

One of my good friend modeled in the 1970's/1980's.  She stood 5'11" and weighed 115 lbs.  I think she looks much better now, with some weight on her bones.

8. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Why are you not modelling Fiery?? I would love to see you strut your stuff, hell yes. xo

1. profile image0

Evil woman, just knew you would show up sooner. wink xo

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha look I am happy to settle for a private showing, you just say the word. Growllllllllll. xo

P.S Bring some curvy women on the runway, we have had enough of stick thin unhealthy role models for young girls.

9. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Maybe I shall write a hub: "In defense of the skinny girl" lol
    There is a common notion that anyone who is thinner than "average" is doing something abnormal (starving, puking, obsessive workouts) to be that way.
    It seems no less insulting than insinuating that bigger folks are all lazy and have no ambition or self-respect.

Note: Before arrows are slung toward me over that last line, it is an EXAMPLE used to show the hypocrisy that exists in society and NOT how I feel. K? smile I just feel like it's socially acceptable to bag on thin girls but say something about someone having gained weight and you might as well have stepped on a kitten.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RooBee, there are many of us skinny girls out there, who are naturally so.  I think a hub along those lines would be great. 

And, just for the record, my friend did starve herself. That is her favorite method of weight loss. sad

Well, I am certainly glad to hear that she is no longer doing that! Nobody I know (that I'm aware of) has dealt with eating disorders and they are a nasty thing from what I understand. I certainly wish no ill on those folks. BUT, I will say that one of my favorite George Carlin lines is: "Rich white b**ch don't wanna eat? F**k her!" I watched an episode of Oprah once where she had women from around the world on and some of them could not believe that there were women who actually wasted food and purposely regurgitated it when others were starving and begging for scraps. Seems like a "disease" of the privileged to me.

Dang, now I have to write a hub instead of hanging around the forums! *shakes fist in air*
        lol

2. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In Defense of the Skinny Girl...go for RooBee, I'd be the first to comment on how great it is!

I get so sick of people calling me too skinny or "don't you eat" blah, blah, blah.  Now if I said, geez, maybe you should lay off the Big Macs, the big dish of ice cream and those huge glasses of beer your drink every night you wouldn't have such a tough time climbing the steps in your house big_smile  We wouldn't dare say anything like this to an over weight person.  But its fine for them to criticize us.

My point exactly, Jane! Now, go eat something - you are looking emaciated. lol lol

10. Silver Rose profile image66
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

I just Googled African Supermodels, and there are lots of pretty African models, many from Somalia, the most famous being Iman (you have to click the arrow on the photo list to see the others).

They are all thin though, but I think that is down to the industry they are in. I think last month the editor of British Vogue wrote to the designers to complain that the sample dresses they were sending were so small that most of the models just didn't fit in them, and they had to use severely emaciated models, and then retouch the photos afterwards to make them look bigger and not as ill, so as not to offend their readers.

11. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Here's what I'm saying people- like in my country, Nigeria we've got the Nigerian Fashion Show, its huge and all. Even the international agencies attend, and they're blown away by the beauty of these women, as well as by the exotic traditional designs. However, because these women are more like the Tyra Banks or Naomi Campbell look, they'll never get deals in London, New Work or Paris. Cos frankly they already have a Tyra and what not in loads. What they want in an African woman is ugly and black as charcoal, the skinny aside for now. Why cant they be pretty like the rest of the other models, huh?

1. Silver Rose profile image66
      Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well according to the African supermodel website there is a Nigerian supermodel called Agbani Darego, who they say is a former Miss World.

As to why the advertisers use Alek Wek - I think it's because she's so unusual, people can't help notice her and thus take note of the advertising campaign. She gets people's attention (we're talking about her here!) Given that models are there to sell whatever products they are demonstrating, that makes her very effective, and that's why they hire her.

12. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

LOL Roobee, tonight's menu includes: burgers on the grill, fresh corn on the cob, cucumbers, chips and mac & cheese.  Perfect for a 90 degree day with 100% humidity.

1. profile image0

Now now Jane, you do know better not to invite me over for a sumptious meal like that, gurl! smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are always welcome big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMg Jane , Im sure you just described SC weather , we walked back from the supermarket and I felt drenched with sweat and little oxygen in the air ...geeze I felt like one big grease spot all day!!! lol

13. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

what I have noticed is that the black models are light complected and thin....most black people have big curves, full lips, and are dark. I agree with most of the comments in this forum. We should love ourselves for who we are and not be or pretend to be  something we aren't. However, you will never beat the current system. For that reason, people will always have  false pretenses on what's beautiful and what to look for in a mate.

You are stereotyping. Africa is a VAST continent featuring everyone from Berbers on the Mediterranean coast who look like Southern Europeans to to Somalis/Ethiopians in the east who have very delicate fine features to West Africans who are darker.

I suppose the stereotype of what Africans look like is a result of slavery which featured mainly west africans. In reality there is as much difference in looks in Africa as there is in Asia and Europe. It's a complex continent. Plus we are all Africans under the skin, it's the mother continent of Homo Sapiens. All the differences in mankind are mainly superficial. I did a hub on it for anyone interested in the Origins of Mankind

1. AsherKade profile image58
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you OVIOUSLY don't know me! YOu yourself are an ignorant bigot to say such a thing. I happen to be related to black people and love black people, know them well, and was merely supporting fiery's comment about how the model world is a poor representation of women, particularly black women!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ahrLpxl5OYqATM::images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/s/stupid_people-12941.gif&h=90&w=82&usg=__D7WXhXB0e7GbrxzVFPlpzy4XfSk=

You were still stereotyping. Claiming that "most" Africans have big curves and full lips is like someone claiming that "most" Europeans are blond and blue-eyed.

Africa is absolutely huge, and as someone who has visited northern Africa, you won't find any big curves and full lips in Egypt, Morrocco, Algeria etc or even in Sudan, Ethiopia or Somalia. They are all tall and thin, the Berbers tend to have a sharp beaked nose, coffee complexion and a fine mouth, and the Somalis have the most exquisite delicate features. And if you see the bushmen of South Africa, they are small and slender and built for running long distances.

fieryCJ was making the point that Alek Wek was a re-inforcing a stereotype of full lips and big curves and that most Africans are not like that - and he is right.

1. profile image0

I must say that I agree with both of you - however, you both still dont get me fully.
            I'm saying - in short, western models at least look good to the eyes. But African models look like refugees. There I said it, they look like victims of war, so anyone who sees them goes like yes, this is an African woman. And thats just wrong. Most African women, especially Nigerian women look like Naomi Campbell, Tyra Banks and the rest. When they keep presenting those Alek Wek types, everyone tends to think that's the best Africa has to offer. And it sucks!

1. AsherKade profile image58
              AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree fiery...and do see your point...I hadn't even seen the last comment from that hubber...what shit that is...I already know all that bs.I work with African Americans all day (and some who are African Nationals who just came over here), have lots of friends who are, and am related to them...I just LOVE it when ppl think they know me and think they know what I know and they are freakin wrong...

14. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I think Alek Wek is interesting looking and she makes people take a look at true beauty.  She is not what you would call a typical beauty.  I think she has beautiful skin, gorgeous teeth and a cherubic face.  I am glad she is considered a beauty here in America, bacause she is outside the norm.  Most people don't look like Gisele, and that is a good thing.  To each, his own.  I think Alek Wek is beautiful.  I know women who look like Alek Wek and I think they are beautiful.  I hope that Alek helps them realize that they are beautiful.  GO ALEK!
    http://images.smarter.com/blogs/alek.jpg

1. profile image0

No no no. She isn't beautiful. I'm not shy to say it. And white people shouldn't be too. Its got nothing to do with looking like Gisele or what not. She looks like a refugee, and its only a fraction of  African women who look like this. Thing though is, western agencies always seek them out for that wuchmacallit -  image of african beauty you're referring to.

1. profile image0

No no no. She isn't beautiful. I'm not shy to say it. And white people shouldn't be too. Its got nothing to do with looking like Gisele or what not. She looks like a refugee, and its only a fraction of  African women who look like this. Thing though is, western agencies always seek them out for that wuchmacallit -  image of african beauty you're referring to.

I respect that you don't think that she is beautiful, but I don't think she is a representation of African beauty, per se.  If Tyra Banks came from Africa, I don't think any agency would be any less inclined to sign her. The point is, like LadyE pointed out, she is dark skinned and has short natural hair.  We all have different ideas of what beauty is.  I do think she is beautiful, I am not just saying it.  I have no reason to lie about it.  I am not saying it for political reasons.  I just think she is a breath of fresh air.  I know black women who think they are ugly because they are too thin, but they are gorgeous.  I know white women who think they are ugly because they are too fat, but they are gorgeous.  Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

2. Lady_E profile image63

I think she is beautiful too Davina. I personally think people might not think she is because she is dark skinned and hasn't got long hair and this is why a lot of dark skinned people tend to lighten their skin - but hey, thats another Thread Topic. smile

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

Look at this... This is HOT!
        http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DyPoB5_wHZ4/R_L9VApsCnI/AAAAAAAABeE/eSkBe3RUdT0/s400/alek-wek.jpg

3. Alex Forra profile image58
        Alex Forraposted 13 years ago

Hey you should maybe use a different agency I know the one that represents me doesnt sign up the ubber skinny people that look like they have eating disorders and they have models in fashion week, I dont think uder skinny models look good in or out of clothes and I think I speak for a lot of men on that one anyway check out VMA Model and Talent who are my agents and see the size of models they use
        Alex

4. profile image48
        j.misraposted 13 years ago

They are not so ugly to be a model. The fashion agencies are trying to make a fashion statement with those models. God gives our looks. Therefore, no body has the right to comment about others. In fact, they may be jealous about those models
        In fact these people have beautiful skin,bright eyes and shary feauture. that is what an agency is looking for.................. smile

5. triosol profile image60
        triosolposted 13 years ago

They look very Ugly Size 0

6. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years ago

We all tend to stereotyping. As a European woman I cannot see those 2 examples as beautiful, sorry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)